Author Topic: pre 65 silver - where and what to buy  (Read 8101 times)

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
pre 65 silver - where and what to buy
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
I currently have about 30 silver eagles and do plan on adding more.  I would also like to get smaller denomination pre-65 coins.  Given a small  budget where and what do I start to buy?

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: pre 65 silver - where and what to buy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
Not sure of your budget, but i would start with the smallest denomination (10 cents) and work up. Sometimes a bargain can be found on ebay for smaller purchases, but for larger purchases i would look at APMEX. I have done both and it has worked for me. Just an old geezers .02  :D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
My advice would to be to locate a reputable coin dealer in your area. I really like doing business with our local guy. Cash, no trail. (He has never seen me and I have never been there.)

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
  No coin dealer beats ebay.  In fact 80 % of all coins are moved on the internet, and ebay is the 800 pound Gorilla of that world.  In fact, they really set the going rate for silver coins, not New York anymore.  That may seem like a Bravado type of statement, but I buy alot from all sources, and I know when the shops are empty, I can still find what I want for the most competitive price on ebay.  Some of the sellers on ebay also have brick and mortar shops.  And the dirty little secret is:  The shop owner will sell his stuff cheaper on ebay, than he does in his 9-5 shop.  He has to, besides his shop having high operation cost, which would make ebay cheaper, Ebay is world competition.  You will not get better prices everyday on every item than on Ebay. 
  Try this;  Go to Coins / US Coins on ebay.  Select - quarters, Select - buy it now, Select - free shipping, type in 64 in description and see how competitive the pricing becomes.  You can do the same with pre 65 dimes, halfs, or Silver dollars.  Dont buy too many dimes, it takes too many to make an ounce, and it can be hard to read the dates.  I suggest Dollars, and Quarters.  The Silver Quarter was traded for a gallon of gas, a meal, and most small purchases for over 100 years.  The Silver Dollar was the worlds trade unit for 300 years.  We get the term "dollar" from the Spanish Coin which dominated early trade in America, even before US mint. ( It was roughly an Ounce of Silver )  If you need some free advice, send me a private note, this is the Prep that I have been doing for many years. Dont worry I'm not trying to sell anything, it's just the Survival Topic I know the best, and take the greatest joy in.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »
I dont agree with your statement as a whole. I have found a few deals on ebay, but my coin and bullion dealer usually beats the ebay sellers. Whats also nice is no shipping charges and I can see the coins in person when I buy from her. She is a large dealer and buys and sells at a small profit margin so thats why I do well on my purchases.

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
Just as an interesting etymological aside, a few years ago I was in a small town in the Czech Republic called Kutna Hora (renowned for the Sedlec ossuary decorated with thousands of human bones) and as a part of the tour, we toured an old mint that, coupled with regions mineral ore, had been a major element of the Bohemian kingdom's influence. And it was in that region and at that mint that the first "thalers" were minted. This is the origin of Spanish and later American "Dollar."

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:12:19 PM »
I dont agree with your statement as a whole. I have found a few deals on ebay, but my coin and bullion dealer usually beats the ebay sellers. Whats also nice is no shipping charges and I can see the coins in person when I buy from her. She is a large dealer and buys and sells at a small profit margin so thats why I do well on my purchases.
I am with you here ncjeeper. My guy also sells at a small margin. Time you add in shipping and the fact you can examine your purchase way beats ebay for me. Plus, cash purchase, no trail.

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
NC and Tex   ...   It's great that you found a reliable source at a good price.  But I'm not new to this, and it's rare to find what you have found.  I could tell you of some great honest ebay retailers as well.  I always shop for ebay coins that have "free shipping"   Of course its not really free, it's part of the price.  But the seller goes out of their way to make sure he keeps his shipping cost down.  As part of the deal, the customers win.  As far as the shop owners, its much cheaper to pay ebay fees and shipping than to pay for a building.  I bought 3 nice coins last night, beautiful coins, very close to spot including shipping.  I just dont see that in shops.  But I'm a truck driver, and I go into every shop I see, I cant help myself, I love coins, and I find a deal here or there.  But 90% of the time, the deal is online.  BE SAFE

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
Mini ...  True the term "dollar" is much older than spains use of, and dollar is not a spanish word, others have told me it has German roots.  However, Early Americans used the Spanish dollar far more than they used the Kings money (maybe out of spite) and far more than the french, german, or dutch money.  Although all forms of silver coins floated around, Silver is Silver, no matter who's face is on the coin.  Early Americans had access to Spanish Silver Dollar Coins and seemed to prefer them when they had a choice, and there is no question the term "Dollar" was used instead of "Pound, Mark, Frank, or anything else because Americans prefered it over any other.  The guys who minted the first US coins most likely had Spanish Dollar Coins in their pockets, not some odd unheard of euro coins.  They were not aware of your history lessons, and would not care if you had been there to tell them.  The King of England was untrusted, France was starting to make coins with added metals to dilute the silver content, the Germans just did not have the influence yet, But Spanish Dollars flooded the New World 200 years before the Americans started to Mint Their own on a National scale.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
Steaker, you are correct insofar as the history of the dollar goes, but I think what minimalist was trying to say is the word 'dollar' comes from the world 'thaler' per 'A Guide Book of United States Coins' by R.S. Yeoman, now in its 64th edition.

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
Yeah, I don't think early Americans were toting Slovakian coins around with them, I just thought it was a cool factoid about the origins of the word. I didn't know that before taking the tour and I thought it was pretty interesting.

I'm sure the American use of the word dollar originated with their familiarity with Spanish coinage, but the origins of the word itself goes back farther than that.

Offline kyfirefighter

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
Just my thought on pre 65 silver... i have bought silver eagles, bars and pre65 coin from dealers and online.  i have a local dealer that i do most of my business through.  the other way that i find some of my pre 65 silver coin is by buying rolls of quarters from my local bank.  they do not all get new quarters, and i am not saying that you can find tons of pre 65 silver this way, but i have found some by just going through roll after roll of quarters and dimes from the bank.  and if i dont find any pre 65 silver i am out nothing but a little of my time.  just a thought...

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
I used to do that also ky. Now with little cash transactions and everyone swiping their credit/debit cards most banks are not getting in alot of old rolls to go thru.

Offline kyfirefighter

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
it is definately getting harder and harder to find pre 65 coins from the banks.  the other thing that i will do is if i see someone pay for something with a roll of quarters i will generally ask the cashier if i can buy the roll that they just got.  like i said it costs nothing but time to trade a 10 dollar bill for a 10 dollar roll of quarters

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
Sorry Mini....  Maybe I put too much attitude in my answer.  As far as everybody here, I think the advice has been great, and should be very helpful to someone looking for tips on getting quality at a good price.  Keep in mind, if you already have 30 Silver Eagles, your not a beginner.  And your on the right path.  I wish every American had at least 30 ounces of Silver.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 04:05:05 PM »
What about pre 65 half dollars. Any ever have luck finding at the local bank?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »
What about pre 65 half dollars. Any ever have luck finding at the local bank?

I wouldn't think there would be any luck on that. Probably coin stores or ebay will be your best bet for those coins.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
Its a big numbers game.  To get an idea of current circulation rarity, just watch the youtube channels of the roll searchers. For example:

https://youtu.be/ltBqw_kqV9g

Frankly, the most action is in pennies and nickels.  1942-1945 silver nickels are worth a $1.25 each.  And pre-1982 pennies are now a thing. $15 of 95% copper pennies on ebay now sell for over $35.  Of course, the pulled wheat pennies and key dates are worth even more.

I have a Ryedale sorter so I get boxes of pennies from Credit union, run them through machine to pull out non-zinc ones, and then take zinc ones to grocery store coin sorter which deposits money into amazon gift cards for free.  In my experience this is far more fruiful than hand searching for silver right now.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
My bank has said they could sell me a roll of half dollars, then after that it would be fifteen cents a roll or something like that.
Some of the coins on ebay look like deals.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 06:09:50 PM »
If ebay I personally would stick to dimes, less likely to be faked for a profit.

Have encountered fakes of halves and dollars at "gun shows", and flea markets.

Checked out local dealers till I found one comfortable to work with.  Usually if I go in with a printout of spot & premium from online dealers (i.e. J M Bullion), he beats the price.

Wish I had more spare dollars to invest, but, retired with limited cash flow.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 06:14:02 PM »
Well I would be dealing with established ebay sellers that have a track record of selling coins. Very little chance they would risk selling a fake coin.