Author Topic: How to secure a large picture window subtly  (Read 10720 times)

Offline Political Atheist

• Prepper
    • Medical Marijuana Mentor
How to secure a large picture window subtly
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »
Hi Friends!
I need some "low key" ideas to secure a large picture window. I say low key because I don't want to make it obvious from the outside that I added any additional protection. I've got "ghetto bars" on all other windows but this one. Is there anything I can do from the inside to make it more difficult to gain entry?

I think jack mentioned a reflective film so people can't see in. Does anyone know what this is? Does it work?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:53:16 AM by cohutt »

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: How to secyre a large picture window subtly
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
I haven't used the reflective film, but it sounds useful. I've also seen several mentions on the forum of a film that helps prevent shattering of the glass. I don't remember where it was at but a search will hopefully pull it up.
If you're willing to replace the windows, several companies market impact resistant glass specifically for higher security or in case of stray baseballs.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
This is a protective shatter resistant film you can out on the window.

http://www.shattergard.com/home.html

Offline Rorschach

• Survivor
  • ...sombody knows why. Somebody knows!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
Archer took my idea; I think this is the best solution if you are wanting an unseen protection.  You can also place a window break alarms(http://www.defensedevices.com/macwinal.html).  There are several brands, some are more discrete than the one I posted.  I think the sight of something like this would be something of a deterrent if seen by the common criminal.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
You could put up a set of ghetto bars on the inside of the window.

They needn't be the huge wrought-iron or rebar ones that grace so many window exteriors.

You could put up a set of "vertical blinds" that were made from 1/8" X 3" flat bar, painted white.

Install them up at a 45 degree "open" angle, MOL, and then back them with a nice set of lace curtains to soften the effect.

They would not be as secure as ordinary ghetto bars, but they should delay an invasive entry long enough for you to take defensive action.

Of course, ordinary ghetto bars aren't all that secure anyway. Anyone with a large truck, a logging chain, and a big hook can usually snatch one right off the wall.

Ghetto bars behind glass are probably more secure because an invader would have to break the glass to access them. That's hard to do without being noticed.

Offline BigAl

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
I haven't used the reflective film, but it sounds useful. I've also seen several mentions on the forum of a film that helps prevent shattering of the glass. I don't remember where it was at but a search will hopefully pull it up.
If you're willing to replace the windows, several companies market impact resistant glass specifically for higher security or in case of stray baseballs.

3M makes a great reflective film that shields anyone from outside to see in but you can see out, it also does not interfere with any camera placed behind it to see out, including infra-red outdoor lighting. 

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »

Of course, ordinary ghetto bars aren't all that secure anyway. Anyone with a large truck, a logging chain, and a big hook can usually snatch one right off the wall.

I learned that from watching some SWAT show on TV. Once the chain is hooked to the APC they seem to just jump right off the window. :)

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: How to secure a large picture window subtly
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »
Internal shudders with bolts and stops. oh and nice curtions between them and the glass.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »
Archer took my idea;
I only steal the best ideas...

Offline wilsh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • One of the good guys.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
I have a similar problem I'm trying to solve, though the window I'm hoping to secure is a tall and narrow, and right beside my front door. It's a terribly flawed floor plan in terms of security!

The online research I've done lead me to the option of afixing polycarbonate sheets to the window from the inside. It's supposedly shatterproof, depending on the thickness of the sheet. It can even be bulletproof, but that's not really what I'm after.

Has anyone else looked into using polycarbonate sheets to secure a window? I see it's mentioned often in other topics, like building green houses or designing BOVs.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
I have a similar problem I'm trying to solve, though the window I'm hoping to secure is a tall and narrow, and right beside my front door. It's a terribly flawed floor plan in terms of security!

The online research I've done lead me to the option of afixing polycarbonate sheets to the window from the inside. It's supposedly shatterproof, depending on the thickness of the sheet. It can even be bulletproof, but that's not really what I'm after.

Has anyone else looked into using polycarbonate sheets to secure a window? I see it's mentioned often in other topics, like building green houses or designing BOVs.
check the links above for the window film as a starter. attaching polycarbonate sheets would work, but have not heard it being done.