Author Topic: Nukalert Light - RADSticker  (Read 3230 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Nukalert Light - RADSticker
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
From http://www.ki4u.com/products1.php

RADStickerâ„¢ peel & stick, postage stamp sized, instant color developing dosimeter, is always ready and with you 24/7, stuck onto the back of your drivers license or anything you keep close, for any future radiation emergency.
RADStickerâ„¢ can help you to minimize additional radiation exposure to As Low As Reasonably Achievable, ideally <100 rads, as that's 100% survivable for healthy adults, if not exceeded. "Very few of those receiving acute doses (received within 24 hours) of less than 100 R would become sick, even briefly."NWSS However, govt agencies advise to try to limit your normal exposure to 5 rad per year and 25 rad for lifetime and emergency workers to 50 rad. 10 11 (Limits lower for children & fetuses.)

Costs:
1 for $8
5 for $25
10 for $40
25 for $75
50 for $100

Free shipping.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Nukalert Light - RADSticker
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 02:58:03 PM »
So Archer it appears that you have either read up on it or are actually knowledgeable of rad doses. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
My brother has a PHD in biochemistry and knows a few things about rad doses so I use his knowledge.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
I also like the M8/M9 chemical detectors that are on that page.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
I have always said that the smart man is the man that knows where to find all of the knowledge not the one that says they have all the knowledge.  Your brother is a great resource. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:17:30 PM »
Yes he is... If I can get him to speak normal (not PHD) English...

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
Yes he is... If I can get him to speak normal (not PHD) English...
Many of the classes that I teach I "dummy down" so that it is easier to understand. 

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »
Note that inexpensive film badge dosimeters usually can't detect alpha or neutron radiation, so your total dose information on these things may, depending on the source of exposure, be wildly inaccurate (you need specific filter types to detect alpha, beta, and neutron in most cases, which is one reason the US nuclear industry has moved to multi-chip thermoluminescent dosimeters).  Looking at the manual for these things, they do indeed only detect high-energy X-ray, gamma, and high-energy beta radiation, so inhaled alpha emitters and neutron emitters -- like primary fissile materials -- will go undetected.  If you wear it as they recommend, in your wallet, it probably won't pick up even high-energy beta radiation, either, as the wallet and, for that matter, your pants pocket will probably be enough shielding, but unclothed portions of your body will still suffer from beta exposure.

Just keep in mind the limits of the tool.