Author Topic: Prepping with babies (though not about preps FOR babies)  (Read 3269 times)

Possenti2264

Prepping with babies (though not about preps FOR babies)
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
My wife and I were just getting ready for bed at 10:30 last night, when the power clicked off.  We waited to see if it was a momentary lapse in supply.  Two minutes later we walked outside to see if it was only our block (as is normally the case).  The night was black.  Not a light to be seen, nor the usual light pollution in our neighborhood.  We called the power company and received the normal voice recording which stated that they are aware of the power outage, and that the southern half of the city would be without power until 2am.

6am - Power still out.  I'm hypoglycemic and we only have eggs.  Can't cook eggs on an electric stove during a power outage.  Wife is off to work. 

My sister in law usually watches my daughter on Thursdays, but she had her gall bladder removed, so I agreed to stay home from work and watch her 7 month old son and my own 6 month old daughter. 

7am - Baby is fed, pack her in the car and drive to mom and dad's to cook eggs.  Off to Lowes, bought that Caterpillar 3,000W generator I've always talked about and never purchased.  Only need it for powering the refrigerator so the food doesn't spoil.  Everything else we can live without for free. 

9am - pick up nephew, buy ice to put in freezer/fridge to buy time

10am - return home to a house with power. 

What did I learn from all this?

1.  God was merciful to me in giving me a gentle wakeup call to finally buy the generator instead of major disaster.

2.  Tasks move much slower when caring for an infant.  Plan accordingly.

3.  Need to plan low-carb/no-sugar breakfasts which don't require the use of the stove.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Prepping with babies (though not about preps FOR babies)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »
I'm a huge advocate of learning to cook everything over the grill. You can easily throw a cast iron pan on the gas grill and go to town. Many grills have a side burner which also works good for such things.

Camp stove. A great tool that doesn't need electricity.

Possenti2264

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »
I'm a huge advocate of learning to cook everything over the grill. You can easily throw a cast iron pan on the gas grill and go to town. Many grills have a side burner which also works good for such things.

Camp stove. A great tool that doesn't need electricity.

Thanks for the advice.  I have a coleman stove and a charcoal grill.  I thought about it, but was in a time crunch. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
a handful of nuts... spoon of peanut butter... beef jerky, couple slices of salami or cheese... maybe some ideas for you. These things would be easy to keep around in case of something like this again. It would get you through it until you could fire up the coleman stove, or grill...

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
While I see you point - being the father of a 4yo and twin 12week old boys.  But it need not just be about Prepping with babies / children, and most certainly not just about losing power.

That is what the mindset is about I think.  Having just rebuilt a server at work this past week, it was boring time consuming labor which I sorta needed to sit at watch the entire time.  No for fear of losing power, or anything,.. but for the simple fact that I wanted to be up and running before the 8am office crew showed up.  So being hungry at 2am, with little open and really to inconveniently out of the way (more then 3 miles) it was good to have some food laid in for the night.

I had access to a full kitchen, but didn't use it.  And there are many times that I would like to take in the alcohol stove I've made to cook on, though it is not practical.

Anything could have us in a dither,.. and require us to keep moving.  Foods we enjoy, require little to no prep are needed,  but that is just a idea...

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
I keep bottled water frozen in my deep freeze to help keep things cold. I have a small Coleman propane stove I can set on top of my useless electric stove to cook with. We caught the remnants of Ike in 08. No ice to be found anywhere! I can use the small stove inside for short periods if we have a power outage in the winter. Thanks for the tips, my 1st grandchild is due in December.

Aj

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
As I recall Johnathan Swift had an essay on this topic ...