Author Topic: Had my first "bug out"  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Dan_The_RN_Man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Dan The Paracord Man
Had my first "bug out"
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Long story short, the furnace in our house is busted, landlord won't fix it, we're not paying rent etc etc etc....  We've been heating our house with a couple of 1000 sq ft space heaters. They do a pretty good job most of the times.  But for those of you living in the Midwest, you know in the past 48 hours, the temperatures have been as low as -20.

During the first polar vortex, we stuck it out, and we really shouldn't have.  We put one of the big heaters in the baby's room, and my wife and I just bundled up under a ton of covers.  With the forecast coming across yesterday and with the temperatures slowly falling, the inside temperature was 55 degrees at 8 pm.  My wife and I made the decision to bug out.  My inlaws live in the next village over and they are out of town right now.  So my wife and I loaded up the car with all the baby stuff, clothes, food, and my bug out bag. We were over at the inlaws setting up the air mattress in under an hour.  Now we're on day 2. I went back over to the house to get some dirty laundry to do and the inside temperature was 48. So no question of making the right decision.  We are hoping that since the forecast tomorrow is calling for a slight break in the cold that we will be able to return home tomorrow. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Had my first "bug out"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Good luck with that, happy you have close InLaws and glad you have BO items.

Cedar

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
I don't know what state you are in, but in SOME states your landlord would be breaking the law big time. Even if a tenant hasn't paid the rent in 3 months, a landlord cannot subject a small child (you mentioned "the baby's room," so I assume you have a baby) to living without heat. In some states, when it comes to a family with small children, an eviction notice can only be "served" past November 1st, but cannot actually be "enforced" until after April 1 because you can't toss small children out on the street in the dead of winter. 

I also know you said it's a long story, and I'm not trying to derail the thread either. But regardless, you might want to check this out as far as your state laws go. Not that you wanna be a jerk to your landlord, but maybe that the two of you can probably call it a break-even point, and then you just part your ways, and neither of you prosecutes the other.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
So your not paying rent? Should I ask why?
Or did you stop paying when he refused to fix the heat? I'd say calling the building code department on the owner.

Offline Dan_The_RN_Man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Dan The Paracord Man
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
Because they won't fix the heat.  We've told them about it multiple times in the fall. They said they would have a repair guy out multiple times, and no one shows. I have looked into putting the rent in escrow, but we don't have a lease so we don't qualify apparently. But he hasn't come by to pick up the rent since October, so he can't be all that concerned about it. And when he does show, he'll get receipts for the two heaters I had to buy. If it doesn't get fixed, he'll get rent in April again if I'm feeling generous.

I was just over there to check on the dog. The temperature in the house was 45. I'm not feeling very generous right now.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:43 PM »
I was just over there to check on the dog. The temperature in the house was 45. I'm not feeling very generous right now.

The dog should be fine. Make sure you bump up its feed a bit and it has unfrozen water.

Cedar

Offline Dan_The_RN_Man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Dan The Paracord Man
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »
The dog should be fine. Make sure you bump up its feed a bit and it has unfrozen water.

Cedar

Oh yeah.  Already took care of that. I was just more concerned with him getting out to use the tree and not the leg of the couch.

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Long story short, the furnace in our house is busted, landlord won't fix it, we're not paying rent etc etc etc....  We've been heating our house with a couple of 1000 sq ft space heaters. They do a pretty good job most of the times.  But for those of you living in the Midwest, you know in the past 48 hours, the temperatures have been as low as -20.

During the first polar vortex, we stuck it out, and we really shouldn't have.  We put one of the big heaters in the baby's room, and my wife and I just bundled up under a ton of covers.  With the forecast coming across yesterday and with the temperatures slowly falling, the inside temperature was 55 degrees at 8 pm.  My wife and I made the decision to bug out.  My inlaws live in the next village over and they are out of town right now.  So my wife and I loaded up the car with all the baby stuff, clothes, food, and my bug out bag. We were over at the inlaws setting up the air mattress in under an hour.  Now we're on day 2. I went back over to the house to get some dirty laundry to do and the inside temperature was 48. So no question of making the right decision.  We are hoping that since the forecast tomorrow is calling for a slight break in the cold that we will be able to return home tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you guys are going through this.  I remember after hurricane Sandy, we lost power (and heat) for a couple weeks, and the indoor temperature dropped into the mid 40s.  Sounds like you made a wise decision to implement a thankfully convenient bug-out.

Unfortunately, that's only going to be a short term solution.  When you return home, if you're using space heaters, please remember to be vigilant about having carbon monoxide detectors (and smoke detectors) in any room that you're using those heaters in.

As for the landlord issue, not to derail the thread, but I would recommend getting your communications with the landlord in writing, by certified mail.  If you haven't been communicating in writing up to this point, I would send a letter summarizing all of the facts as they've occurred.  Then I would consider whether the rent money you've been withholding could be used to repair the furnace.    Your landlord sounds like the type of person I wouldn't trust to fix the furnace at this point anyway -- probably he'll send over some handyman with no clue what he's doing, make some mickey mouse repairs, and say he's fixed it, which could leave you in a dangerous position with a faulty furnace that might be leaking CO or something.