Author Topic: Emergency Gas issues (Xcel pipe explosion)  (Read 1853 times)

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
Emergency Gas issues (Xcel pipe explosion)
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:27:21 AM »
For those that haven't heard; Xcel is asking customers to turn their heat down due to a pipe explosion:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/01/26/xcel-asks-customers-to-turn-down-natural-gas-heat/

I'm not seeing as many negative comments like back in June during their power outage.  But I like to keep tabs on their Facebook page to see how others react. It's a bit eye opening to see how some may react when something even more massive goes wrong.
https://www.facebook.com/XcelEnergyMN

" Do we get a discount then? God knows we pay enough as it is."
"Yeah if I turned my heat down my pipes would freeze so will xcel pay that bill for me I bet not......."
"Why oh why did you all have to call me at 11:55pm last night to tell me to turn down the thermostat??? Telemarketers don't even call that late!!!"
"There is NO! excuse to call someone at 11:45PM for this reason. I am sure you sent panic attacks to many who had thoughts of family members being in severe trouble of some sort. This is Horrible on your part. Whoever authorized this late night call should be held accountable and fired for such terrible judgment."
"To 60? No way"

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: Emergency Gas issues (Xcel pipe explosion)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
     Excel has just rescinded their recommendation. They made a work around the damage. The initial request was given to maintain pressure in the delivery system. Without proper pressure the entire system would have had to be shut down. Low pressure could cause flare-ups from gas appliances and home fires. If the system was shut down, it couldn't be restored until all appliances with natural gas pilot lights were isolated from the mains. Then each pilot lighted appliance would have to be individually returned to service. Otherwise, gas would just flow into homes and a spark, wood stove etc. would blow them up. This is why you need to know how to physically shut off the gas main leading into you home, if ever the natural gas delivery system is shut down. You also need to know how to return your gas appliances to service or who to call to do so safely.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:41 AM »
bcksknr hits on a key point - how many of us know the systems in the house-really know them? The gas is always there, the electric is always on, etc, etc. How many times does a laundry room or basement get flooded because the occupant doesn't know how to turn off the water, or have the proper wrench handy? Failure of a $2 part --> $2,000+ in damages.

Part of your written disaster plan should include a list of shutoffs along with instructions on how to operate them. If you generate it on a computer, include digital photos - and keep the required tools handy. Like wired to the pipe. And make sure everyone in the family knows how to shut stuff off - I guarantee you, the washer line will burst when your 14 year old is home alone........

Likewise, how do you safely turn stuff back on? Add that to your plan also. A significant other may have to restore something if you aren't there - like a furnace during a cold snap [sorry, gotta be PC] change in the Polar Vortex. Then once you get it back on, can you tell if it's operating properly? Gas, for example, should have a blue flame - yellow indicates incomplete combustion and could lead to trouble. If you pop a breaker, can you diagnose the problem - too high a draw on a circuit for instance. Unplug the two electric space heaters using the same outlet and put on a sweatshirt.  ;D

As for the initial incident - things are not always what they appear to be.

soupbone

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »
due to the shortage,the pellitizing plant were our oldest son works had to switch over to fuel oil to keep production going on the drying furnaces
then ya add the 6.99 a gallon for LP at home [with a 100 gallon limit]
ayup he is stressed

SnoHam13

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
bcksknr hits on a key point - how many of us know the systems in the house-really know them? The gas is always there, the electric is always on, etc, etc. How many times does a laundry room or basement get flooded because the occupant doesn't know how to turn off the water, or have the proper wrench handy? Failure of a $2 part --> $2,000+ in damages.

Part of your written disaster plan should include a list of shutoffs along with instructions on how to operate them. If you generate it on a computer, include digital photos - and keep the required tools handy. Like wired to the pipe. And make sure everyone in the family knows how to shut stuff off - I guarantee you, the washer line will burst when your 14 year old is home alone........

soupbone

How and where to shut things off is something my parents showed me once my sibling and I were old enough to be left alone in the house for short periods of time.

As a Realtor working with first-time homebuyers it is always something I made certain they learned first hand during their home inspection process.  I requested the inspector point out the locations and how-to for the soon to be new home owners.