Author Topic: Khukri or Kukri or khukuri As a general purpose camp/bushcraft blade?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline mobilecabin

• Fledgling Prepper
Does anyone have any experience with a khukuri knife. I have been reading up on them and have found the one I want, not the Cold Steel version, and wanted to know if anyone has used one. I'm looking to get one for a general chopper and feel it will be more useful than a hatchet or small axe. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Khukri or Kukri or khukuri As a general purpose camp/bushcraft blade?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
If chopping is your thing - this is the blade profile you want. Lots of folks love the kukri b/c it bridges the gap between machete and hatchet very well.

For the woods around me, a good knife and a bow saw are probably the best combo - just depends on what you are trying to do and what the area looks like.

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
The khukuri is a great multi-purpose blade.  Some people like to fill the chopping/cutting needs with a knife/hatchet combo, or a knife/saw combo.  The peoples of central Asia developed the curved chopping/cutting knife as a multi-function tool.  There are many variations.  It is the national knife of Nepal.  In the jungles of that country they tend towards lighter, thin khukuris that are better for chopping vines, etc.  As you go up in altitude and hit the more temperate forests the people tend to use thicker khukuris that do better for wood chopping.  Big guys tend to like big khukuris, while smaller guys like smaller ones.  Most of the military khukuris in the Gurkha regiments come in at about 15" OAL and are of a fairly standard design that has been found effective as a multi-function tool in various environments around the globe.

I like the khukuri as a multi-function tool and have quite a few.  That doesn't mean that you will though.  If you want to try one out I suggest stopping by one of the khukuri forums on the web and letting the folks there know what type of environment you live in and what you want to do with your knife, if you want to carry it and how,  and how big you are.  They will probably pick you apart with various questions and you will get some pretty well-informed opinions on what sort of khukuri will best fit your intended uses.

Offline phalanxblack

• Prepper
  • cautiously optimistic, ferociously patriotic.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:34:33 PM »
Love it an all around great chore and fighting knife, everything from chopping potatoes to kindling and of course a fearsome fighting knife(just ask anybody whos had to face a ghurka).mine is a damascus ,beautiful pattern but not a wall hanger, a little differen than a traditional khurkri,full tang and bloodnotch a little less pronounced,filework on the spine dang thing weighs over two pounds but I wouldn't go any other way.