Author Topic: Add Bath Water and Toiletries to Your Preps or This Could Be You!  (Read 14620 times)

SnugInMyPod

Fellow Survivalists,

Stories like these make me want my own water tower and even greater distance in my future Bug-Out Location. Read these if you have a strong stomach:

The Great Unwashed
By CATHERINE SAINT LOUIS
Published: October 29, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fashion/31Unwashed.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=shower&st=cse

:crazy:

Britain's greater unwashed
Kira Cochrane
November 3, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/britains-greater-unwashed-20101102-17bx3.html

:crazy: :crazy:

Eivdently, Patrick Henry not only "smelled a rat" in the drafting of the Constitution, but also must have smelled one even before the Declaration of Independence! 

:o  ;D

Sad to say, though, if we in the U.S. are going to do like they do on the British Isles, in Europe, and indeed, throughout the rest of the wretched, stinking world, then the Founding Fathers threw the Brits out on their nasty asses for nothing.

>:(

Fellow Survivalists: Please, please budget for hygiene!  "The Better Life" means a clean life!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Add Bath Water and Toiletries to Your Preps or This Could Be You!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Ugh Snug - but it's so true.

I was thinking about not having the luxury of toiletries and a shower a few weeks ago in case of a bug-out or possibly even a bug in.  So I made up 3 small plastic containers (like the shoe box ones) filled with hairbrush & comb, toothpaste (2), toothbrushes (2), Qtips, his and hers deodorant, shampoo, 4 cotton bandannas, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, packets of sunscreen and bug repellent, wash cloths, bar of soap, pony tail bands, a pair of socks each - I think that's all (don't remember at the moment) and am stashing two at the house in with the to go stuff and one at the BOL. I just started worrying that what I have in my BOB won't be enough or I'll forget something I need (want). 

Thanks for the reminder - I think!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:41:36 PM by TwoBluesMama »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
well, i quit shaving my legs and pits YEARS ago, much to my family's disgust.  My hubby doesn't care, and he delights in the disgust of my family, so encourages me when we are going to the beach or something with them.... :D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
I, too, have quit shaving (legs/armpits) years ago.  But - there is nothing to shave.  (no growth) But, I do still use deoderant.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »
This is hilarious. Back in the 70's I worked at Sierra Designs in Berkeley, CA. Can you say 'Hippie Central'? I was the only female in the entire building who shaved her pits and legs - the token redneck.

Fast forward a couple of centuries - now in my geezerhood and can't be bothered with such a time-waster. But sorry, I need my daily soak in the tub and I can't stand for my hair to be dirty. Don't use much deodorant in cool weather but wouldn't dream of going without in warm weather! Here's hoping this is a short-lived trend.  ::)

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
Because of my Native American ancestry, I've had maybe two hairs under each arm and practically none on my legs for years. Getting older has some benefits. ;D Could not live without my deodorant or showers.  If Europeans want to stink, let um. :P

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »
This is one area where the "travel size" hygiene items really come in handy. Every time that I have to travel, I ferret away the soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. that the hotel staff stock the bathroom with. In reality what they provide on the first day is good for almost a week, but when you make it all disappear daily, they replace it automagicly ;)

Plain old bar soap can have many more uses when you are in a pinch, it is also relatively cheap when on sale, and stores for a long time.

When it comes to a survival situation, travel sized items for hygiene are sometimes more valuable than gold when it comes to trading. I have several tubs of them that we have collected over the years, not only are they a great way to store up hygiene products, they can make pretty powerful barter items to the unwashed masses in a time of need.

You can never store enough soap!

"Soap. The yardstick of civilization" - Tyler Durden ;)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
"Soap. The yardstick of civilization" - Tyler Durden ;)

Classic!

This is one of the places where I've come to realize that I have a hole in my preps. While I have plenty of soap and toothpaste, I really don't have enough deodorant. I can't use antiperspirant because one of the active ingredients (aluminum most likely) causes my pits to break out in a rash and there are few things worse than tying to be active with pitrash... Well there is monkeybutt, but I've got baby powder stocked for years for that... Just in case...  :-[

Antiperspirant without Aluminum is a little too pricey for me too.

Anyway, I need to find a place where I can buy my brand in bulk, because it can get fairly expensive even at Wally-World.

If I were in a pinch, I guess there is always baking soda.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
Ill probably run out of food before I run out of deodorant. ::)

Offline lavendereagle

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »
I am afraid, my family fits these articles! Yikes, my Uncles shower once a week, my mom bathes every evening but only washes her hair once a week. To be honest they don't really smell. I don't use deodorant because it irritates me but I shave and wash.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
Thanks to couponing I have lots of shampoo/conditioner, deo/antipers, and body washes. I don't wash my hair every day because it does get really dry and frizzy even if I use hair products that say they take the dry and friz out. They just don't on my hair. I do wash it every other day, and daily if I've been outside or got hot. I too will run out of food before health and beauty supplies. I also take the small hotel s/c and soaps every time I go to a hotel. I have lots of them. They do come in handy to reuse the bottles when travelling. And the bottles don't leak like the little travel size bottles I bought at the store.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
Ah… if you would like a preview of no water and/or soap, come on down to Yuma, AZ during the winter…

To be fair, MOST of our “snowbirds” (retirees who come here for the winter) are decent, just plain folk… 

There are those few though who “dry camp” in the desert, no running water…  I guess that after awhile, they don’t notice the aroma…  But WOW, there are certainly times wandering by someone, that the odor is particularly… enhanced…

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
Personal hygiene is very important to survival. Ask people that have served in the Military. They probably have stories about how bad others can stink, but they can also tell you how minor cleaning of certain body areas can improve the situation. When I was in, we would at least take a whore's bath. Washing your face, pits. groin and feet can prevent a lot of problems that otherwise could cause problems. Also keeping those areas as dry as possible can help a lot.

Pat

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
Can you imagine taking a time machine ride back to the middle ages to mingle in a crowd there? Or an old time cattle drive after the first few weeks, or the mountain men who went all winter in the same skins & furs. Anyone from modern times would probably pass out from the stench.

I always think of these things when I hear someone romanticising times past. I'll take now - I can strive for the simplicity and learn the skills, all the while with huge stockpiles of soap & toilet paper.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 10:02:45 PM »
I don't take my Time Machine back any further than the introduction and proliferation of Toilet Paper.  ;D

Offline Foxfire

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
I don't take my Time Machine back any further than the introduction and proliferation of Toilet Paper.  ;D

;D

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
Interesting topic. A very good discussion for prepping and I would imagine one that gets overlooked.

As a side note: I for one appreciate the time you ladies take to shave the legs and pits.  ;D

Kold

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
I actually have lye in my preps.  I could make my own, but why?  right now I have enough to keep my family in soap for about 10 years, at the rate we use my homemade soap.
I want to get more so I also have enough for trade.  being a soap maker will be useful indeed.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
Fellow Survivalists,

+1 Karma to you, Morning Sunshine.  I've made some unscented soap a couple of times myself and have experimented a few time with extracting essential oils from orangesand cinnamon bark.  Soapmaking is a great. homesteading craft and can provide an alternative to people with allergies and sensitivity to commercial soaps.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
Fellow Survivalists, 

I should add also, all exceptions to my thoughts on hygiene are duly noted and respected.

If a person can stay hygienic and pleasant to be around while bathing less at the same time or if you are an X-Man or an X-Woman who sweats peach iced tea and kills skin disease on contact, I salute you and will gladly defend your rights against all the Senator Kellys of the world.

:-)

But for now, the rest of us mere mortal human need to stay clean.  All the Euro-chic freaks and such like who want to stew in filth and stink need to do so from a distance and downwind.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
 Hygene preps have been pretty simple around here for us.

My wife works at an orthodontic office and gets toothpaste and brushes by the case dirt cheap. I haven't taken a true count for a while, but there are around 60 tubes of paste and at least 40 brushes in the basement stores.

We started making our own deodorant several years ago and stock the ingredients and empty containers. (scented oils, corn starch, coconut oil) It's very easy to make.

We also make our own bar soap and laundry detergent, so those ingredients are put away as well. All the baths you can have won't matter much if you've been wearing the same clothes for 3 weeks. lol

My sister worked in the health food industry for 15 years or so, and met some really bizarre people. She met ones that not only didn't shave at all, but also those that didn't bathe but once a month or less. I would run into these people when I would make the occasional visit with her at work. It was pretty disgusting when I would walk down an isle and smell someone 40 feet away. There's nothing quite like the odor of patchouli oil and barn stall.  :-\  I worked there for a VERY short time for some extra cash, and even a few employees were like this. I made it 6 weeks before I couldn't take any more and quit.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
Personal Hygene:

All I know is that whenever we went into the field, one of the first things to be erected was a series of Lister bags - 25 gallon or so canvas water bags on tripods slong with soap and towels. The message was "wash your hands", often. Personal hygene is THE key to disease prevention in the field. Similar to living in a SHTF environment.

Now, when a RED HORSE unit goes into the field, we usually bring all of the comforts of home, including field latrines and hot showers. Shaving and showers were required. This was not just coddeling the Air Force troops - clean, healthy people are more effective in the long run - and the mission is paramount.

I wonder how many of us have included camp showers or portable bathtubs in our preps? Or antibacterial soaps for that matter. To take this a step further, have we made allowances for bathing in our filtered / purified water requirements?

Just something to think about.

soup

P.S.: Yes, I was in charge of the EMT, and no, it wasn't part of our TO&E, it was just something we brought along. (EMT = Expresso Machine, Tactical)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
ladies and gentlemen, I think we can all agree that part of your bath water and toiletries should definitely include your Towel.  Never forget your towel, after all, your towel is the "massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker [prepper] can have"

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »
Morning, Sunshine

Towel? What towel? REAL men dribble drip dry!

soup

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
yes, but a towel really shows you have it together.  if you have your towel, and can find it amidst your other preps, it will show others that you are a really together prepper.

which, now that I think about it, might be bad for opsec.  never mind, I changed my mind.  Forget the towel!

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
We've got a serious problem, as preppers and survivalists, I mean.  Aren't we supposed to go all gray man so we can blend in?  If we keep clean, we're going to stand out.

Perhaps some enterprising member here can help us out.  If someone here could just make bath products that smell like body odors, we'll be all set to blend in and stay clean at the same time.

Product #1---Essence of sour sweat shampoo.
Product #2---Bad breath toothpaste.  (Smells like something died in your mouth last week!)
Product #3---Urine the blend bath soap.  (It will be your little secret because no one will know you didn't just pee yourself.)
Product #4---Unwashed butt crack aftershave.  (Need we say more?)

And as Jack says, your preps are to help you live better if times get hard, or even if they don't.  With these great products, you can visit the people mentioned in the links above and blend right in.  No one will suspect you're one of those freaks from America who showers more than twice per week!

You might expect to pay over a hundred dollars for life-saving products like this, but if you act right now we'll include all four products for the incredibly low price of $19.99.  I know!  How do we stay in business with bargain basement prices like that?
But wait, there's more!  If you call within the next ten minutes, we'll include a free bottle of armpit hand lotion, the rankest, foulest lotion known to man!  That's five products, over a thousand dollar's worth, for the incredibly low price of 5 easy payments of $19.99!
Have your credit card ready and dial 1-800-GET-FOUL.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
 :D

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
I thought of this thread when i was at the store today. Picked up 2 extra bottles of mouth wash and a extra set of razor blades.  ;D

Aj

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Greetings, MangyHyena.

That's some great marketing genius-ry...but gray man need not mean grunge, gunk, and gag man.  The money would be better spent on things to keep filthy rabble stench away, like giant fans, air fresheners, and razor wire.

:)

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:30 AM »
I will be the first person to advocate staying clean.  It is the best practice for staying healthy.  OTOH, in a survival situation I will choose body oder over soap, shampoo, and deoderant smell any day.  While humans might find BO offensive, wildlife will react to perfumes faster than BO.  If I am stalking supper, I don't want my Old Spice to scare it away.

I bathe daily, sometimes more than once in a day, but haven't worn deoderant or cologne for the better part of 20 years.  My first wife suffered from migraines and the smells triggered them.  After I got out of the habit of using them, I never got back into it.  My wife now tells me that I do not smell.  Of course, she might just be afraid of hurting my feelings (not likely to happen).