Author Topic: Add Bath Water and Toiletries to Your Preps or This Could Be You!  (Read 14609 times)

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Add Bath Water and Toiletries to Your Preps or This Could Be You!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
Personal hygiene is very important to survival. Ask people that have served in the Military. They probably have stories about how bad others can stink, but they can also tell you how minor cleaning of certain body areas can improve the situation. When I was in, we would at least take a whore's bath. Washing your face, pits. groin and feet can prevent a lot of problems that otherwise could cause problems. Also keeping those areas as dry as possible can help a lot.

Pat

Funny, even though we had a way to take daily showers (and usually I did), when we came out of the field and got back to a built up area (Daharan) after a very long field exercise in KSA, I thought everything smelled like soap.  It took about 2 days to stop noticing that everything smelled like soap.  So even if you think you are clean with a field shower, you probably are not as clean as you are used to, and clean usually equates to healthy.  More people died of diseases, I was told, prior to vietnam than died from battle injuries.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
Military soaps tend to be unscented. We bought our own but weren't supposed to use anything scented in the field. If your unit was the same, it may have been the fragrances that you were noticing. I still have a bit of an aversion to the fragranced stuff.

Pat

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »
I don't use scented ANYTHING at my house. I had chemo 17 years ago for leukemia and as a result, I am very sensitive to any kind of fragrances. One of my nurses told a story about a former patient of hers: his nurse used to wear a particular kind of perfume, and he associated the smell of the perfume with the experience of getting chemo. After he finished treatment, he and his wife were at the grocery store when he got a whiff of that same perfume from another woman. It reminded him so strongly of the chemo that he had to go outside and throw up. At the hospital where I was treated, none of the oncology nurses were allowed to wear perfume.

Our neighbor across the street stinks up the whole neighborhood when she does her laundry. I don't know what kind of soap or fabric softener she uses, but when her kids would come over to my house, my house would smell for HOURS after they left.

My husband only showers once or twice a week. I wish he would shower a bit more--not because of the smell (I don't notice anything) but because of the grime on the sheets.

Having said that, though--I was at the health food store yesterday and got in line behind a family--mom, dad, two little kids. The dad had a noticeably strong odor--not BO, per se, but just a very pungent "I've been living in these same clothes for a couple of weeks" smell. I hope his wife found it pleasant. I certainly did not. It made me wonder if I am just de-sensitized to how my husband smells or if this guy really did need to change his clothes.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
Howdy, dodgetruckmom,

My sympathies on your situation and I hope you and your Doctors have beaten back the leukemia monster.  Maybe one day, leukemia and all cancer will be like the dinosaurs.  We can only work and hope for that day.

Yes, you are right that medical conditions can trigger scent aversions.  My Mom had an affliction with an internal organ and developed an absolute hatred for certain smells from food and cooking.

Not to compare my situation to yours, but allergies can create scent aversions.  I do laundry regularly, but cannot have so much as a drop of fabric softener without some allergic reaction.  Once I find a detergent I can use, I stick with it until further notice from my body.  Arm & Hammer or Gain do good for me, others' miles may vary.

Scent preference is highly individual and although I have preferences for myself, generally, lightly-used perfumes and colognes on others don't bother me.  Goodness knows, I am not one of those Smell Nazis that were in California some years back, demanding perfume-free meeting halls, theatres, and workplaces.

My main concern as a Survivalist is with disease and getting any of it on me.  The BO is really just the harbinger of that disease, like the village idiot ringing the bell and alerting a Mideaval village for incoming Plague carriers.

In addition to stocking up on soap and water, I guess the self-defense practice of keeping strangers at two arms' length also serves a hygienic and aesthetic purpose as well. 

At two arms' length, not only can they not hit you with arms or legs; they also can't hit you with what may lie beneath.

;D

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Ugh Snug - but it's so true.

I was thinking about not having the luxury of toiletries and a shower a few weeks ago in case of a bug-out or possibly even a bug in.  So I made up 3 small plastic containers (like the shoe box ones) filled with hairbrush & comb, toothpaste (2), toothbrushes (2), Qtips, his and hers deodorant, shampoo, 4 cotton bandannas, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, packets of sunscreen and bug repellent, wash cloths, bar of soap, pony tail bands, a pair of socks each - I think that's all (don't remember at the moment) and am stashing two at the house in with the to go stuff and one at the BOL. I just started worrying that what I have in my BOB won't be enough or I'll forget something I need (want). 

Thanks for the reminder - I think!

Several years ago, we had some friends who lost their water heater.  The landlord was being a jerk about getting it fixed and so they were unable to take showers.  While at Walmart, I saw a propane camp shower for just under $100, and so picked it up for our emergency supplies.  When my wife started to object, I told her that it was for our friends and that we could then use it in case of emergencies like they were going through.

Now, I have the thing packed up in a 5-gallon bucket.  I still need to pack a couple of bottles of gas and some D-cells for it, and then put some cleaning supplies (soap, shampoo, etc) and some washcloths and towels - but those are already in our toiletry kits anyway, the ones in the shower kit will be redundant.

Good idea.

Offline tmbrwolf

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
My wife was in the hospital and they used a "norinse shampoo cap" to clean her hair. They ( http://www.norinse.com/ ) have a lot of cool products. The "shampoo Cap" is to be "microwaved" but it can be placed in the sun to heat it (solar oven is best), but will work cold just not as comfortable.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
My sympathies on your situation and I hope you and your Doctors have beaten back the leukemia monster.

Oh my gosh, yes--I am quite healthy and have been for some time. I even had a second child 13 years ago after the doctors told me I probably wouldn't. I am healthier than most people my age who never HAD cancer.

I like Coscto's fragrance free laundry detergent. My older daughter is so sensitive that she can't even walk down the detergent aisle with me.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
Of all the senses that trigger memory or emotion I believe that smell effects us the strongest. I've had some strange reactions to smells over the years.

Pat

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »
@ ChEng

Those propane camp water heaters work great. I have one downstairs as well as two of the solar black bag models. I picked mine up about 7-8 years ago after having to wait 2 weeks to get the $ for a new hot water tank. Gotta love it when the company you work for goes belly-up with no warning.  ::)

Last summer, before I bought the solar models, I did a garage experiment. I took a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, tapped in a 1/2" valve on the bottom, and spray painted it flat black, lid and all. I sat it in the sun for the day, and by around 6pm, the water inside was HOT. Not luke warm, not quite steaming hot, but definitely hot enough to shower with. I tucked that bucket away in the garage just as a backup to my backup.  :D

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:29 AM »
As someone who has lived among the hippies (and been one myself) I just have to say:

You get used to the smell.

What is horribly offensive to you right now, becomes completely non noticable within a month. I promise. Also, there's almost no way, when living in an "outdoor" situation, to avoid smelling like... well... a person who lives outside. You smell of campfire, and dirt, and sweat, and you can rub all the deoderant in  the world on you, but you still smell like you live outside. It's just gonna happen. And when it's 28 degrees outside, you suddenly don't CARE if you smell bad, or if you haven't shaved. You're not taking the clothes that you've been wearing for two weeks off. It's too danged cold, and you've already heated them up. And you sure as hell aren't gonna put water on your skin. Not when you have to walk around in that cold, wet, for two-three hours afterward.

Besides, cold makes people smell less. And in the summer it's a pleasure to bathe! It doesn't make a difference, because thirty minutes after stepping out of the shower you smell like a dirty hippie again, but it's a pleasure to bathe!

You can minimize the smell, you can do everything in your power to hold on to your "civilized" life. But ultimitly, what you are doing is just ensuring that you can't smell yourself. Which means you can smell everyone else. Trust me, it's better to smell yourself. No one else can smell you, they're all smelling themselves.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
I agree except, there is smelling like the outdoors and then there is smelling down right funky. There is a difference. The first is going to happen. The second doesn't have to.

Pat