Author Topic: Document package complete before January 1... who's with me?  (Read 30853 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Re: Document package complete before January 1... who's with me?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:55 AM »
I'm not going to make it....save yourselves....finish your packets!!! I make it by late January hopefully.

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
It's a frantic frenzy!!!!  :excited:

I'm at about 95% done!

Anyone else doing good?

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »
I'm a hell of a lot further than I was at the beginning of December.  I will commit to getting more done tomorrow (31st) but I know I'm not going to finish.  Perhaps its a good time to regroup, evaluate and set a new goal. :)

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
I'm hoping to be done with a basic package by the end of the long weekend (Monday).

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Taking a look at TrueCrypt.   Here's a beginner's tutorial.  http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial  The downside of this app is needing Admin access to the computer (or having TC already loaded on it) to access the files.  This means if you take your thumbdrive to the local library to access your files, you probably won't be able to access them.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
How about a push to finish by January 31st!

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Ok.. just about done.

I have scans of my financial accounts, these are encrypted in digital format.  Now I have to do a print out of hard copies with the sensitive info done in probably a table format with coded fields for account numbers and such.

Just a suggestion here too, be careful where you have old or backup copies of sensitive accounts.  Its real easy to have data which is still valid hidden away in an old backup file on your current drive, backup drive, old thumbdrive or old external drive.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Good work everyone!  Now the fun part begins, keep it updated

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
My wife and I got together the personal information part of the package and we each have a flash drive with the data encrypted using TrueCrypt.  Neat program!  Already came in handy when I needed my credit card number at work and left my wallet at home.  Also have printed some maps to a couple bug-out locations, but I'm not happy with our options right now.  But... the the maps and the flash drives are in our bug out bags, so I'm calling success! 

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
So I finished my binder the day before deploying. So far the wife has used it three times for the encompassing info I put in it. I'd say that the peace of mind while being away...priceless. I'll post some pics of it when I get back...much later.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
Time for me to take this challenge.

Anyone who did this earlier in the year, have you realized you missed anything? Was there anything that you needed and didn't have?

I'll be running with MillSpec's initial list and see where i go from there.

Article I.   Table of Contents
Documents
•   Personal Cards
•   Individual Birth Certificates
•   Passport Information
•   Marriage License
•   Individual Wills
•   Property Titles
•   Insurance Policies
•   CCW Permit Documentation
•   Military documents
•   Diplomas and transcripts
•   Pet vaccine records
•   Other important documents related to employment and/or a family business
Property
•   Color photos of your house and each room in the house
•   High value items list with photos
•   Firearms Information
•   Appraisals
Medical
•   Doctors Information
•   Health Insurance Documents
•   Medical histories of each family member?
•   Immunization Documents
•   A list of current prescriptions, dosage, and pharmacy contact information
•   A list of blood types for each family member
Contact Information
•   Personal & Family Contact Tree Information with Photos
Departure
•   Should you stay or go?
•   Where we will go
•   A list of items to take with you
•   How to turn off the water to the house
•   How to turn off the electricity

endurance

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
I'm with you Shannon.  Thanks for bringing this topic back up to the top. 

I went through a divorce in 2005 and had to get a lot of this stuff together then, so if I can just find the packet I created for my attorney, do some photography, and bring everything up to day, I'll get there.  I'll be realistic, I'm shooting for August 30 to have it completed.

Offline PADFH

• Prepper
  • Newbie Prepper
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
As a newbie prepper, this sounds like a great challenge.  This is something I need to get done.  Thanks for the inspiration.  That table of contents is excellent. 

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »
Good time to revisit this important prep.  Its amazing how easy it is to forget where things are... maybe its just me.  ;)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
Just wanted to recommend TrueCrypt again for any newcomers.  I have no affiliation with them or anything, but I use it and it's really nice to know that every piece of information you want is on a flash drive and you don't have to worry about losing it.  And losing the flash-drive is a definite possibility with me :).

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

Free encryption for flash stick or computer's hard drive.  Open sourced code with effectively lots of people checking each other for any "back-doors," etc.

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
+1 for TrueCrypt. It is also great for creating an encrypted container on the PC hard drive for sensitive documents. I also use it to encrypt external hard disks; if they are stolen, the data are safe.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »
Bump

How close are you allto being done?!?

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
This is going to be one of my "resolutions" I need to get this started and completed.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »
I didn't join the forum until recently, but this is a great goal anytime.  Now I have to find all of this and put it together.  Thanks!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
Idelphic is doing most of the work, I'm just playing in my freetime with the software (Free time? What the hell is that? LOL).

I also just got my visual studio 2010 installed, havn't programed in a LONG time but I want to take what we've been looking at and make a self running EXE that can run off a usb stick (No Open Office required).   Gonna take some work.  Building a basic data storage app to do this is fairly easy, the hard part is making it flexible enough that the user can add/remove fields/tables and modify reports etc.  I'm wondering if the new XML tools could make that easier, but that could be version 2.0 or 12.6  ;)

Thanks Idelphic for dooing all the real work, and keeping on poking me with the stick,  Otherwise I would probably never stay on task  ;D
Guess it's time again to poke Doc with a stick,..  Looks like we both dropped off the project due to a number of reasons.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Who is this "Doc" of which you speak,  Never heard of the guy.   :P

I have gotten and stayed so busy that this isn't even on the radar any more.  Maybe some time in 2015, 2016 I can come up for air and try this again LOL

Remind me every so often and I'll see what pokes it's head out of the hole.

Doc  some anonymous guy

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
When my computer crashed last week, I lost my entire Doc Pkg I had been working on for a long time. Also lost my spreadsheets w/food, medical supplies, etc. Nothing to do but start all over.  :'(

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
I PM'd you SG.

Offline Fyrsprite

• Survivor
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
NATE: What documentation from MSB are you referring to?

I see that you did find it, but wanted to add a note for others like myself who couldn't quite figure out where exactly the document is.

It's in the MSB members only download section, and is titled, "Getting Your Household in Order".

Thanks for the great ideas everyone.  I can't believe I hadn't thought of something this in-depth before.  I do keep valuable documents and some basic info in an SDB, but know now which directions I need to go to get things rounded out.

Offline SupportByFire

• Prepper
    • Arkansas Armory, Inc.
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Has anyone gotten a good electronic format to put all this in?  I can assemble everything in binder form and then scan it if that's about the easiest way, but if it's easier to start with Excel I'd rather go that way - just seems easier to update.  Thoughts?

Nathan

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
I'm thinking jpg it'll be harder to update. But it'll work in any os. Including pads/cellphones. My carry on computer is running puppy Linux.while I know its possible to use exel files or the like I'd have to learn just seems easier to use jpg's.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
So since I will be commuting anywhere up to 1.5 hours 3 times a week I have decided to go a little more serious about this packet.  I have been going through and getting phone numbers and addresses together.  I have not yet ventured down the road of scanning all this stuff in. 

I am toying around with putting our information on a few cryptic drives and leaving them at my bug out locations (friends, family, and a family owned beach house).  What do you guys think?  My wife is not a huge fan of this idea because of the duplication of our personal information being in multiple locations, but I can not get out of my mind the possibility of a fire or break in and the information be taken way from us and us having to start all over.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
So since I will be commuting anywhere up to 1.5 hours 3 times a week I have decided to go a little more serious about this packet.  I have been going through and getting phone numbers and addresses together.  I have not yet ventured down the road of scanning all this stuff in. 

I am toying around with putting our information on a few cryptic drives and leaving them at my bug out locations (friends, family, and a family owned beach house).  What do you guys think?  My wife is not a huge fan of this idea because of the duplication of our personal information being in multiple locations, but I can not get out of my mind the possibility of a fire or break in and the information be taken way from us and us having to start all over.
Every option has it's pro and con.  Do you go the route you mention - leave encrypted drives with those you trust or not having the information when you need it later.  Carry a copy with you, though it might get damaged or not having it later when you need it.

There are tools to add layers of security and 'bones' to mislead people.  It all depends on how far you want to go, and if you can remember how to access it later. 

If you can agree to have the information, then you can create a compromise for both of you.  On paper (Burn later) outline the layers of security you can and are willing to use.  Where would you store the device at each location, and what to do if you manage to forget the access protocol.  I have a file that I encrypted a few years ago.. no idea how to get into it,..  I'll give myself another 2 weeks before I will decide to delete and bit wipe the drive so it's out of mind.  Can also just take a hammer to it,.. no rebuilding or recovering information that is on a chip that is pounded into dust.

One could use a service like drop box or Box.net - IF - you have a want to..  but that offers up another can of worms I'm not going into.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
I talked to my buddy about me storing that stuff at his house and he told me that he has done the same thing but only really has them in one other location.  I am starting to think having multiples of everything is a bad idea for security reasons.

I think what I will do is put an encryption on my hard drive and put it in my parents fire safe.  What are some good encryption programs to use that are trusted?  I do not want to do all the work and end up having the information compromised with another business?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »
I talked to my buddy about me storing that stuff at his house and he told me that he has done the same thing but only really has them in one other location.  I am starting to think having multiples of everything is a bad idea for security reasons.

I think what I will do is put an encryption on my hard drive and put it in my parents fire safe.  What are some good encryption programs to use that are trusted?  I do not want to do all the work and end up having the information compromised with another business?
Combination of programs

<a href="www.truecrypt.org/">TruCrypt [/url]
<a href="www.keypass.info/">KeyPass[/url]
<a href="www.passwordcard.org/">Password Card[/url]