Author Topic: A cheap, basic prep that may save your life  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
A cheap, basic prep that may save your life
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
It sounds simple, but so many people never consider it.

Make sure that your address is very clearly and plainly marked on your home in a manner that can be easily and quickly seen from the road.

It should be letters that stand out from the background during the day, and ideally should be lit at night. Best to have one by the driveway entrance and one by the front door.

Something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-numbers-house-address-92650.html

Why?

In all my time when I was a volunteer firefighter/first responder, the one thing that made responding to a call the hardest was trying to find the right house when there were a bunch of homes in a row with no visible numbers on them. Or out in the country where 10 different driveways ran off the road, and the mailboxes had black 1/2 inch letters on a dark blue mailbox that you couldn't make out, or all the mailboxes for 10 homes were clustered in one spot.

I know we are all about self reliance, but we all know there are times when we will need to call people for help. When it is that bad, you don't want the people coming to help to waste precious time figuring out what house is yours.

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
Re: A cheap, basic prep that may save your life
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
In our rural area, the local FD will make the address number sign for you free of charge. They are of the same general opinion in that it is really hard to help you when they can't find your house.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
I need to do something about this. I live at the corner where two roads meet. Although the house address is listed on one of the roads, the previous owners removed the original driveway that connected to that road when they added a garage behind the house. The new driveway is connected to the second road.

Three other factors add to the problem. The house is fairly well hidden on the initial approach by two enormous Firs and the driveway is hidden by a row of huge boxwood. Finally, this house was one of the first built on the road and about midway between a larger rural route and a cul-de-sac. This wouldn't be a problem, but they added houses lower on the road and gave them higher numbers than this one.

While it is fun to watch the pizza delivery girl drive by several times as I wave away on the front porch, it could be a problem in an emergency.

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
Very true words Chief_919.  It amazes me to see houses with out the numbers on them.  The company that monitors our security system has a sign in the front yard with there logo on it to deter crims and then reflective numbers for the address. 

Don't these people order pizzas?   

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:24:42 AM »
Don't these people order pizzas?   

We don't . We do like when the big brown truck of happiness comes though. ;D

Offline M.Therium

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
Living in an attached town house, our association made us put numbers over the back door too for PD,FD and EMS.  I'm sure its coincidental that they followed up having us clearly mark our houses with a round of inspections and fines.

I do some computer repair service on the side and it is amazing how badly marked some people's homes are.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
I miss the boy scouts coming around and painting your number on the curb for a small $ amount.  Ours is pretty visible to everyone BUT the pizza delivery guy.

Offline NW Martster

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
Long time lurker, rare poster but I had to throw in on this one.

All the above is perfect I just want to add one thing.  If you live in the sticks like many of us do.  Please mark your driveway if you live off a separate gravel road.  You know the kind, a long gravel drive with like 10 houses on it.  Each house has it's own long driveway where depending on the local flora and fauna you cannot even see the house.  If the driveway itself is unmarked we have to guess and 90% of the time we guess wrong.  This often means turning around in less than ideal conditions, think 85 point turn.  So please mark your driveway with numbers and maybe even a little arrow.  In the middle of the night we need as much help as we can get. 

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
+1 Martster. That's an important point.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
As a follow up for those of us that do live out of town and in snow country, make sure your driveway is plowed wide enough for fire trucks/emergency vehicles can get to you house. Nothing worse than the fire dept or paramedics stuck at the street because they can't get to you.

Offline MichiganNimrod

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
I need to do something about this. I live at the corner where two roads meet. Although the house address is listed on one of the roads, the previous owners removed the original driveway that connected to that road when they added a garage behind the house. The new driveway is connected to the second road.

I am no longer responding to calls, but know this kind of place.  I have 2 thoughts on it.  Contact the Emergency call center servicing your home.  Most, if not all, have a means of noting/flagging this type of issue.  So if an emergency is at the home, the responders can get the information and speed up the response.  If your concerned about your home being "flagged" in such a way.. make contact with the fire/sheriffs department.  Get to know them and let them know not a reliable as the first, but it won't be out there for every responder to see/know. 

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 04:55:13 AM »
 All great points and ideas!

I put large brass numbers on both sides of our mailbox. The driveway is 80 yards to the house, so numbers there would be useless unless they were a foot tall. Also, the top of the drive is sort-of hidden between two pine trees, so I put reflectors on both sides. I've had more than one person either turn into my front yard or into the field next door.  :D Not anymore.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »
In our rural area, the local FD will make the address number sign for you free of charge. They are of the same general opinion in that it is really hard to help you when they can't find your house.

Our local fire department offers these as well.  May be wrong, but I think that they do charge you for the sign.