Author Topic: New Gov advice for post-nuclear strike survival  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
Re: New Gov advice for post-nuclear strike survival
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
I noticed it really does not say what one should eat or drink while waiting inside for the Fed's to come to the rescue.

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Excellent article, thanks for posting it.

I'm glad that the government is making the following points:

• Civillian preparation for a nuclear attack is not alarmist
  • Educating yourself on the matter beforehand is important
  • Nuclear attack is "more survivable" than the current perception

I'm disappointed that there was no mention of the importance of immediate blast protection. That is, if there is an extremely, unusually bright flash, don't run to the window and look out to satisfy your curiosity. Hit the floor instead, and take cover if you can. At least according to my research, that action could easily make the difference of life or death for the initial blast.

Still, I realize that after all these years of saying there's no reason for fallout shelters I realize they have to go slow to re-educate the public on the matter. I found it fascinating that they had a live exercise planned in Las Vegas to "stimulate a terrorist attack with an atom bomb" but backed down after it was protested that it'd be bad for business.

I also find it interesting that there was zero mention of potassium iodide. Based on what I've learned I consider that a good thing.

And I found it both hilarious and sad that htey said no Federal response for 1-3 days (of course it'd likely be much longer, if at all) but then had no mention of having water for those days. You'd think they'd at least mention water.

Ah well, baby steps...in the meantime preppers get to point to things like this to reassure people that we haven't gone off the deep end. Maybe it can even be used to convince a few grasshoppers.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:16:59 PM »
Did you guys download the Guide? If not here's the link  http://www.afrri.usuhs.mil/outreach/pdf/planning-guidance.pdf

Basically the guides tells you in a nice friendly way you're on your own for atleast a 72hours and if your sick or too hot to touch just lay there, so try to get as deep down as you can. AS IF we didn't realise this already. ::) 

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:36 AM »
<<SNIP SNIP>>
I also find it interesting that there was zero mention of potassium iodide. Based on what I've learned I consider that a good thing.
<<SNIP SNIP>>

Potassium iodide is more for a reactor accident.  Nuclear weapons don't generate a significant amount of radioactive iodine.  Whereas, a nuclear reactor will have a huge inventory built up that could be released in an accident/attack.

<FLAME SUIT ON>
I am of the opinion that if you are in the area that KI could help you can get if free from the local power plant.  If you can't get it for free you are probably wasting your money.  I'm also of the opinion that an accident won't cause a release, but a terrorist attack might.  We have already had a core loss at three mile island that released next to nothing, and the protections have gotten much better since then.
<FLAME SUIT OFF>

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
Well, at least they are willing to address it, not matter how poorly. Better than head in the sand approaches of the past.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
Potassium iodide is more for a reactor accident.  Nuclear weapons don't generate a significant amount of radioactive iodine.  Whereas, a nuclear reactor will have a huge inventory built up that could be released in an accident/attack.

<FLAME SUIT ON>
I am of the opinion that if you are in the area that KI could help you can get if free from the local power plant.  If you can't get it for free you are probably wasting your money.  I'm also of the opinion that an accident won't cause a release, but a terrorist attack might.  We have already had a core loss at three mile island that released next to nothing, and the protections have gotten much better since then.
<FLAME SUIT OFF>

The idea of a dirty bomb is nothing new - they were talking about it when I was in the Air Force, back in the '80s.  Any terrorist with a little intelligence can come up with the idea of using one of their low-yield atomic or nuclear bombs to demolish a nuclear plant, thus releasing plenty of radiation.

I would not expect any great accuracy in reporting the event; reporters may not be allowed to (or capable of) getting to the detonation site.  For my part, if I hear of a nuclear/atomic event of any kind which involves a radiation release (or suspected release), we will go on KI for a little while, just in case.  Better safe than sorry.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
Well, at least they are willing to address it, not matter how poorly. Better than head in the sand approaches of the past.

I could not agree more.  I remember when I was a little kid in the early 1980s and AIDS was getting a lot of media attention.  I got a pamphlet from school from some government organization that had an ostrich with its head in the stand.  For some reason the picture has always stuck with me.  The head in the sand approach is adopted by the masses.  The sheep mentality If I do not have to look at, hear, smell ect then it just does not exist.

I think it is good that the message is getting put out there.  Baby steps.  Could the government be the newest member of the TSP?

nkawtg

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
Could the government be the newest member of the TSP?

God I hope not!

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
I noticed it really does not say what one should eat or drink while waiting inside for the Fed's to come to the rescue.

In this situation, taking shelter would be the number one priority. Finding a water source in your shelter number two. Food wouldn't be a major priority for days. Between the flash/blast/initial radiation and the fall out you may have time to grab your grab bag and then find better shelter. The more prepared you are before a nuclear explosion, the more likely you are to survive after.

Pat