Author Topic: medical bag/ first aid kit(s)  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Movinfr8

• Prepper
medical bag/ first aid kit(s)
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
Today at work, I realized that as of Jan 1 my Health Savings Acct (not what Jack referred to on Friday's podcast) will no longer allow first aid, aspirin etc withot a prescription. The HSA is more like insurance, in that you carry inexpensive, high deductible ins. and put pre tax money in an acct that does not expire, and spend from that for medical stuff. I haven't used it since getting it in July and am thinking about some serious medical kits, more advanced than the 10 dollar wal-mart ones I have now. I don't wanna break the bank, but would like to have one in each car, so two kits are the target. I might order the bags from the gear shop, but need recommendations for the contents. I am open to suggestions both as to what to order, AND WHERE to order from.
 Have had red cross first aid, but it's been a while, and while quickclot sounds cool, I dunno if I really need that.
Thanks,
Norm

Offline Movinfr8

• Prepper
Re: medical bag/ first aid kit(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »
ok, here's what i have so far. I DID include 2 celox/quickclot bags. Not sure if they're staying. Looks like a cost around $100 per kit after adding a bag. If anyone can think of extras, or things I have over done (yes I know the 4 and 6 in. Israeli bandages, but you never know) please let me know. thanks,
Norm
05130    Israeli Emergency Bandage - 4"         $5.36    $16.08
05171    QuikClot Sport, 50gr         $14.99    $29.98
18120    Oral Rehydration Salts         $1.15    $3.45
01818    Oral Airway Kit         $1.20    $2.40
02121    Nasopharyngeal Airway, 30Fr         $3.56    $7.12
02125    Surgilube         $4.11    $4.11
05131    Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6"         $5.65    $11.30
05122    CamoVat Cravat & Triangular Bandage         $4.22    $12.66
01085    Elastic Bandages (Ace Type) - 3"         $0.93    $7.44
05120    Oval Eye Pads         $0.14    $1.40
01074    Trauma Pads - 5" x 9"         $0.17    $1.70
05112    Butterfly Closures         $5.70    $5.70
21004    Sheer Strips         $1.95    $1.95
01044    Povidone-Iodine 10% Solution         $0.55    $2.20
05111    Antiseptic Towelettes         $2.85    $2.85
01202    EMT Shears - 7.5"         $1.90    $3.80
01024    Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine         $1.36    $2.72
01251BK    Finger SAM Splint, Gray         $1.26    $2.52
01030    SAM Splint - Orange/Blue         $11.33    $22.66

by the way, I decided on Chinook to supply. If anyone has any feedback, let me know, as i haven't hit the button yet..

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:44 AM »
Had the same type of account. Mine issued a "Visa" card to go with it. this is what I did.
Go here:http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/parent_id/1/category_id/10/product_id/1171/nm/Doc_Blue_s_Emergency_Medical_Kit at $333.00 its a good buy and a good starter kit.

Or go here:http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/parent_id/1/category_id/10/product_id/1171/nm/Doc_Blue_s_Emergency_Medical_Kit
for the same kit at a higher price (same company by the way). This site has many more advanced options as well. Its set up for long distant voyagers and has kits that are damn near perfect for preppers and survivalists. I came from a marine background and perspective when i began my prepping journey and have found that many of the things i had to do as a live-a-board and long distance sailor are the same things we need to do as preppers.

I also used my card to purchase various durable medical goods and more advanced supplies as well. I'm reaally hating on Obamacare's changes to my FSA account because it worked really well for my family. It figures, they actually implement a plan that works to give control to the individual for their medical expenditures and then when they see it works they kill it...

regards,
Shadowalker

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
MovinFr8,

Great idea!  Just spoke to Mrs. ChEng, and I'm also going to make an order this week, as well.

BTW - I talked to one of our Benefits guys (the one who is supposed to know about the new Health Reform Act and it's application to HSAs - we work for our local Blue Cross/Blue Shield carrier, and so he should know) - he says that the only changes are to the Over-The-Counter medicines.  As he put it: "if you can buy supplies, like Band-aids, before the new law, then you can buy supplies, like Band-aids, after the new law."  This should be sound input, but the Feds have screwed this up so badly, that maybe no one can possibly know for certain.  I am going on what he said, though.  Get your OTC meds now (and the supplies too, why not?), but you should still be able to get extra supplies after the new law goes into effect.

Offline Diver55

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
Just a thought and i know some people have a real problem with this but I always like to carry some super glue in my kit to close up those little annoying cuts that keep opening up, for example a papercut on a knuckle. Keeps the grease and crud out so you can keep working.

Offline G-Man

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:01:55 PM »
Today at work, I realized that as of Jan 1 my Health Savings Acct (not what Jack referred to on Friday's podcast) will no longer allow first aid, aspirin etc withot a prescription.

Really?  I thought first aid supplies were still allowed, but that over the counter medications now required a prescription.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
Per IRS Bulletin
2010-39 September 27 2010 http://www.irs.gov/irb/2010-39_IRB/ar08.html :

The Affordable Care Act also amends § 223(d)(2)(A) with respect to HSAs and § 220(d)(2)(A) with respect to Archer MSAs, to provide that for amounts paid after December 31, 2010, a distribution from an HSA or Archer MSA for a medicine or drug is a tax-free qualified medical expense only if the medicine or drug is a prescribed drug (determined without regard to whether such drug is available without a prescription) or is insulin. Thus, under new § 223(d)(2)(A) and new § 220(d)(2)(A), a distribution from an HSA or an Archer MSA for a medicine or drug is a tax-free qualified medical expense only if (1) the medicine or drug requires a prescription, (2) is an over-the-counter medicine or drug and the individual obtains a prescription, or (3) is insulin. If amounts are distributed from an HSA or Archer MSA for any medicine or drug which does not satisfy this requirement, the amounts will be distributions for nonqualified medical expenses, which are includable in gross income and generally subject to a 20 percent additional tax. This change does not affect HSA or Archer MSA distributions for medicines or drugs made before January 1, 2011, nor does it affect distributions made after December 31, 2010, for medicines or drugs purchased on or before that date. See Revenue Ruling 2003-102, 2003-2 C.B. 559.

Section 213(d)(3) defines a prescribed drug as a drug or biological that requires a prescription of a physician for its use by an individual. In contrast, under §§ 106(f), 223(d)(2)(A) and 220(d)(2)(A), an individual may be reimbursed for over-the-counter medicines or drugs, so long as the individual obtains a prescription for the medicines or drugs. For purposes of §§ 106(f), 223(d)(2)(A) and 220(d)(2)(A) only, a “prescription” means a written or electronic order for a medicine or drug that meets the legal requirements of a prescription in the state in which the medical expense is incurred and that is issued by an individual who is legally authorized to issue a prescription in that state.

The rules in §§ 106(f), 223(d)(2)(A) and 220(d)(2)(A) do not apply to items that are not medicines or drugs, including equipment such as crutches, supplies such as bandages, and diagnostic devices such as blood sugar test kits. Such items may qualify as medical care if they otherwise meet the definition of medical care in § 213(d)(1), which includes expenses for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or for the purpose of affecting any structure or function of the body. However, expenses for items that are merely beneficial to the general health of an individual, such as an expenditure for a vacation, are not expenses for medical care. Treas. Reg. § 1.213-1(e)(1)(ii).

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
I have been researching this for many years (decades even :o), and about twelve years ago, I found a booklet from Dr. Jane Orient, titled A Basic Medical Kit For A 10-20 Person Shelter (http://ynpxtpnb.apollohosting.com/ddponline.org/medkit.htm).  Dr. Orient is a member of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, and provides a lot of effort promoting Civil Defense and Preparedness.  I started out with her book (without the prescription meds, of course) and added a few OTCs and supplies from my own experience as a dad of nine kids (my EMT instructors said that I aced the OB and pediatric parts of my course ;D) and a former EMT (paper only, back problems prevent practicing much :()  Anyway, I took her book, boiled it down to a shopping list and added the stuff from my recommendation.

Yesterday, since the Federal Government is hell-bent on destroying our health-care system, I needed to purchase my OTC meds (see above sub-discussion).  I went to Sam's Club and Walmart and spent a large amount on the following items:

Sam's Club:
- Hydrogen Peroxide (1 2-pack), $1.74
- Member's Mark APAP (1), $8.48
- First Aide Kit (1 kit), $19.98
- Breathe Rite Strips (2 boxes), $27.96
- Anti-Diarrhea Med (1 box), $5.48
- Hydrocortisome Cream, 1% (2 tubes), $14.96
- Robitusson (1 bottle), $11.18
- Alcohol Pads (1 box), $4.98
- Antacid EX Berry (2 bottles), $11.96
- TUMS (1 bottle), $10.98
- Naproxen Sodium (1 bottle), $12.98
- Member's Mark Ibuprofen (1 bottle), $8.86
- Member's Mark Nite Time Cold Medicine (1 bottle), $9.47
- Exam Gloves, latex-free (1 box), $10.98
- Allergy Tablets (4 boxes), $13.12

Walmart:
- Special Pack (1), $6.97
- Alka Sletzer (6 boxes), $23.22
- Bactine (2 bottles), $9.49
- Cough Drops (4 bags), $4.14
- Halls Cough Drops (3 bags), $3.54
- Halls BSN (3 bags), $3.54
- Equate Daytime Cough Med (2 packs), $11.94
- Equate Rub (1), $3.12
- Equate Hydrocortisone Cream, 1% (2 tubes), $4.32
- Equate Trip Anti (3), $9.74
- Menthol Ointment (1), $2.22
- Chapstick (6 3-packs), $17.28
- Equate Tolnaftate Antifungal Spray (6 cans), $16.32
- Equate Chest Rub (2 jars), $6.52
- Midnite Sleep Med (3 boxes), $23.34
- Equate Children's Acetominophen, liquid (1 bottle), $2.98
- Equate Children's Acetominophen, chewable tablets (1 box), $1.98
- Thermometer, digital (2), $6.24
- Thermometer cover sleeves (4 boxes of 60), $3.92
- Equate Migrane Formula (4 2-bottle packs), $16.00
(I only have the receipts for the above, and there are a couple of things that I don't remember - I will try to get the list updated to show a better description in the next couple of days)

In the coming months, I will be supplementing the OTC medicines with more supplies (trauma, emergency, etc) and building up an EMT Jump Kit, for placing in our van.  I hope to get everything in Dr. Orient's list plus my list and be covered for emergency and standard medical care for over an entire year (except for prescription meds - although I am working with an old friend who knows about my prepping and has hinted that he may be willing to write some 'scripts for some emergency medicines for me - have an appointment for a physical and consult with him later next month.)

If anyone would like a copy of the "shopping list", send me a PM.