Author Topic: Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter is Great for 3G Phones!  (Read 1363 times)

SnugInMyPod

Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter is Great for 3G Phones!
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
Fellow Survivalists,

I'm in a hurry now, but I thought I'd pass that along.  More details later.

SnugInMyPod

Re: Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter is Great for 3G Phones!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
Fellow Survivalists,

I'm back.  The Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter  takes either an AC cord or a USB cable to charge your 3G phone, it has a mini fan to cool the circuitry while plugged into your auto lighter, and it can fit right in your winter coat pocket or your BOB.

Best yet, mine sat in my vehicle BOB unused for over a year, through extremes of 100+ Degrees in Summer and teens in the Winter.

It's very affordable too, so highly recommend it.  

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
I used the Husky (Home Depot) knockoff of the B&W until it got broken.  It worked very well.  It was stout enough to power a phone charger, or my laptop, or a work light with a 75 watt bulb just fine.  When it broke, I upgraded to a Harbor Freight 400 watt model.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »
I have some experience with small (cigar lighter sized) inverters but no experience with the big ones (1500+ which need a direct battery connection and plenty of ventilation for cooling).  I don't keep one in my BOB because I have (see below).  I keep a 300w inverter (plugs into lighter) in my car, in the safe next to the pistol and other things which always live there). 

What can you do with 300 watts?  It won't run a hair dryer (900w) but Walmart sells crock pots requiring 175 watts.  I used to have one of those cooking all day, sitting on the floor of an 18 wheel truck.  Don't remember how many quarts the crock was but at the end of the day when I had eaten all I wanted, I would [crock pot tip: use a turkey baking bag as a liner.  Keeps the crock clean and allows you to] let the rest cool and then just lift the bag out of the crock, add twist tie, and put it in my 12v refrigerator chest, which was plugged into another cigar lighter.  Fresh veggies and meat are not hard to find on the road because nearly all Walmarts allow big truck parking, often all night but always while shopping.  For more remote locations I always kept canned food in the truck, which benefits greatly from being doctored up and heated in the crock.

I used to use a 175 watt inverter to run an old fashioned picture-tube-type 19" television and a laptop computer at the same time.  But that was maxing it out and when the truck automatically restarted its motor to charge its batteries the TV would blink off and have to be manually restarted and that little inverter circuit breaker would choke and have to be also restarted.  Laptop battery kept it on during the engine start, when the inverter was interrupted.

These days I have a Droid-x smartphone.  The standard charger is configured so it plugs into the wall and also the cord may be detached from charger and be used as a USB charger.  I of course also have a cigar lighter charger for use in the car, but I keep in my work bag (a companion to my BOB, but which has things I use every day or want handy) a 120v to 12 v converter.  It looks like this http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/1-amp-universal-ac-to-12v-lighter-socket.html and is designed to power things like 12v refrigerator ice chests and pretty much anything which needs recharging from 12v.  Radio Shack has good ones for $40.  These are handy when you have everything set up for 12v and suddenly find yourself out of a vehicle and into a building, such as a motel.

Or you could build a charger into an Altoids can
http://www.instructables.com/id/MintyBoost!---Small-battery-powered-USB-charger/           

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
Greetings,Cryptozoic.

Much obliged for the Instructable.  Now I'll know another use for a growing collection of Altoids boxes.