Author Topic: Gird Your Loins for Lower Living Standards, James Howard Kunstler  (Read 2548 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
http://www.24hgold.com/english/news-gold-silver-forecast-2011--gird-your-loins-for-lower-living-standards.aspx?article=3277761394G10020&redirect=false&contributor=James+Howard+Kunstler

This is an excellent read, imo. He has a very humorous way of describing desperately serious issues. He also brings to the table some different views on such issues as trade with China, the serious issues facing India and Pakistan, among others.

After reading this article, I have definitely put a couple of his books on my list to read.

The World Made By Hand

http://www.amazon.com/World-Made-James-Howard-Kunstler/dp/0802144012/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294093295&sr=8-1

is at the top of the list :).

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Gird Your Loins for Lower Living Standards, James Howard Kunstler
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »
I'm actually a pretty big fan of his "Kunstlercast - Suburban Sprawl: A Tragic Comedy" podcast. Although I think he takes a much more New Urbanist (i.e. just asking for a nanny state) viewpoint than the pro-rural point-of-view that most around here would have, it is an enjoyable listen.

He certainly does have some entertaining quips about the lives of sheeple and how this place is going to look when peak oil sets in. Call him a Cassiopeia, call him an urban hipster, but at least he recognizes which direction the wind is blowing. Whether you think the answer to suburban sprawl is moving out into the country or moving back into the city, at least there's another person out there talking about the massive waste of time and resources our current culture is built around. I'm sure there's more than a few topics around here discussing the pros and cons of his point-of-view.

I haven't had a chance to read his fiction yet ('World Made by Hand' and 'Witch of Hebron'), but I definitely intend to.

amanadoo

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
MTUcache, you hit it right on the head with your description of Kuntzler. I used to listen to his podcast every day, but he got to a point where he was a little too full of himself for my tastes (and the host of that show WORSHIPS Kuntsler!) But he's made me think of things in a little different light than I may have otherwise considered them. -----Be warned though, he doesn't practice what he preaches (lives in a rented home in the suburbs last I heard). So that's annoying.

World Made By Hand is a *great* book, I loved it. I passed my copy around to my husband and closest friends and now am gearing up to re-read it myself.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
I've been saying for a long time that there is no way the standards of living we were enjoying can continue. By standards I mean the massive material and energy use.

We may well be able to live betterlives for less, but we can't continue to increase the number of cars in our driveways, the sizes of our homes, etc. We need to conserve and consider downsizing. Those that do might enjoy the adjustment far more than those that are forced later.

Three things will need to be adjusted. Electricity use, gasoline (or diesel) use, and water use.
We have too much energy use, too much air conditioning, too much driving, too much water wasted in areas where water is scarce.

There are answers and those that find them before the last minute will enjoy.

metaforge

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
This is a syndication post (I guess) from his blog at http://www.kunstler.com/blog/   there are lots of comments there on his posts & forecasts which are interesting reads and generally from intelligent folks.

The World Made by Hand was very good; I haven't read Witch of Hebron yet, but I did read his little play "Big Slide", it was also pretty good.

I have mixed feelings about the man himself.  He is definitely arrogant and full of himself.

Anyway, on financial matters & peak oil I tend to think he's right.  Smaller, localized living, and whether via hyperinflation or deflation doesn't matter necessarily - the end result is much reduced living standards whether we have tons of worthless money or no money.

I imagine most of us here have already "girded our loins" for what's coming.  ;)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
But what we need to do is get away from judging our standard of living by material standards.

I bet if we stopped and tried it we could all be happier working more around the house and less away from
home. I need to work on this myself.

I work a LOT chasing the money. Hopefully to build my dream house (all solar and wind) debt free, with some
fruit and nut trees within 5 years. I am hoping I can turn it down a notch and try a lower standard of living
at that time.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm lukewarm on Kunstler.  He makes a ton of good points that many on this forum would completely agree wih but man, he comes off as such a tool sometimes.  That being said, I've read "World Made By Hand" and it is good, not the best, but worth a read.  I have "Witch of Hebron" but haven't started in on it yet.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:56 AM »
I just ordered World Made By Hand, and am looking forward to the read.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:54:38 AM »
World Made by Hand was a good read.  Witches of Hebron....not so much.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »
I love his non-fiction. He's hilarious, witty, and right.
His fiction, I do not care for as much. World Made By Hand was decent, though not the best, and his sexism is just rampant. (And his response to complaints about this was ridiculous.) The reviews for Witch of Hebron have been so bad I'm not even going to try it.