Author Topic: How close are we to SHTF?  (Read 156268 times)

Offline DocBatman

• Prepper
  • Come and Take Them
Re: How close are we to SHTF?
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
I think the skills we are talking about will keep us fed AND make us welcome in any community.

Hopefully!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
I just heard from a cohort that someone mentioned the possibility of a US Bank Holiday next Tuesday last night on one of the Sirius Channels.

Anyone heard any rumblings to the similar?

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »
I just heard from a cohort that someone mentioned the possibility of a US Bank Holiday next Tuesday last night on one of the Sirius Channels.
Anyone heard any rumblings to the similar?
The Professor

Did you see the post I did on the "Bank Drills" being done on the 17th?

Cedar

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
If anything too terrible is gonna come out of this government shutdown leading into a potential default on the debt, it better happen AFTER I move. I'm planning a cross-country move in a couple weeks.
Also, the shit hits the fan every couple of years. In the northeast. 3 feet of snow overnight and/or an ice storm that knocks out power for an entire region for weeks definitely counts as shit hitting the fan in my book.     

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2013, 09:27:04 PM »

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #366 on: October 11, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »
This budget issue is getting bad.....

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/07/news/economy/shutdown-economic-impact/index.html?iid=EL

Same ol' CNN confusion about money and the "measuring" economy...

If you read most of the articles that get published there, they rarely (if ever) acknowledge the difference between productive economic activities and any economic activity. If you take most of their slants to their logical conclusions, you'd have to assume that ANYTHING that shuffles money around from place to place is a good thing, even if it's just paying people to dig holes and fill them back up (or even just adding a bunch of numbers to a spreadsheet somewhere that represent no activity whatsoever, let alone productivity).

The shutdown doesn't cost the "economy" anything, until you define what "economy" you're talking about. Sure, lost wages and lost transactions might prevent the IRS from shaving taxes off of them and then re-distributing that money within the same circle (in wasteful and corrupt ways), but it's not like that money has just disappeared altogether. If "economy" to CNN just means the GDP and Dow Jones scorecards that they like to obsess over, sure, it's "cost" them money... but if they're measuring productive activity (which is nearly impossible), then they'd see that the non-essential things that aren't functioning right now were never really that productive in the first place.

Crying wolf about "losing" $50b/month seems a bit disingenuous when you consider that they're perfectly okay with printing $85b/month just to try and stimulate it (and even that is having almost no effect on anyone outside of DC or NYC). If they had any way of knowing what the consequences of their actions were, and were confident they could mitigate them, why don't they just ask Yellen to make her first act as the head of the FED to "reverse-taper" the QE3 up to $135b next month? Problem solved!!! Cake for everybody!

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
Same ol' CNN confusion about money and the "measuring" economy...

If you read most of the articles that get published there, they rarely (if ever) acknowledge the difference between productive economic activities and any economic activity. If you take most of their slants to their logical conclusions, you'd have to assume that ANYTHING that shuffles money around from place to place is a good thing, even if it's just paying people to dig holes and fill them back up (or even just adding a bunch of numbers to a spreadsheet somewhere that represent no activity whatsoever, let alone productivity).

The shutdown doesn't cost the "economy" anything, until you define what "economy" you're talking about. Sure, lost wages and lost transactions might prevent the IRS from shaving taxes off of them and then re-distributing that money within the same circle (in wasteful and corrupt ways), but it's not like that money has just disappeared altogether. If "economy" to CNN just means the GDP and Dow Jones scorecards that they like to obsess over, sure, it's "cost" them money... but if they're measuring productive activity (which is nearly impossible), then they'd see that the non-essential things that aren't functioning right now were never really that productive in the first place.

Crying wolf about "losing" $50b/month seems a bit disingenuous when you consider that they're perfectly okay with printing $85b/month just to try and stimulate it (and even that is having almost no effect on anyone outside of DC or NYC). If they had any way of knowing what the consequences of their actions were, and were confident they could mitigate them, why don't they just ask Yellen to make her first act as the head of the FED to "reverse-taper" the QE3 up to $135b next month? Problem solved!!! Cake for everybody!

yellen is a printer.. she might do just that, she cares very little about controlling inflation,  she wants low unemployment at any cost.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
yellen is a printer.. she might do just that, she cares very little about controlling inflation,  she wants low unemployment at any cost.

Jobs at McDonald's for everyone!

nelson96

« Reply #370 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
This was 47 years ago. April 3, 1965. An amazing prediction. Do you remember the famous ABC radio commentator Paul Harvey? Millions of Americans listened to his programs which were broadcast over 1,200 radio stations nationwide. When you listen to this, remember the commentary was broadcast 47 years ago on April 3, 1965. It's short...less than three minutes.                         

http://stg.do/9LDc

nkawtg

« Reply #371 on: October 12, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
EBT went out for half the day in 17 states and people started to panic and were talking riots. Half a day and they're talking riots just for EBT, imagine a more substantial crisis country wide.
Things are far more fragile then many suspect.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
« Reply #372 on: October 12, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
This was 47 years ago. April 3, 1965. An amazing prediction. Do you remember the famous ABC radio commentator Paul Harvey? Millions of Americans listened to his programs which were broadcast over 1,200 radio stations nationwide. When you listen to this, remember the commentary was broadcast 47 years ago on April 3, 1965. It's short...less than three minutes.                         

I loved me some Pual Harvey!

John

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #373 on: October 12, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
EBT went out for half the day in 17 states and people started to panic and were talking riots. Half a day and they're talking riots just for EBT, imagine a more substantial crisis country wide.
Things are far more fragile then many suspect.

All some people need is an excuse.  They are just hoping for a reason to riot.  Can you imagine how they will behave when things really do go bad?

Offline dani3077

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
All some people need is an excuse.  They are just hoping for a reason to riot.  Can you imagine how they will behave when things really do go bad?

For most people on this assistance, it really IS when 'things really do go bad'. My cousin posted about ebt on my facebook wall. She works full-time, her husband has just gotten a new job after being laid off. They got paid on Thursday, paid all the bills, broke by Friday. They went to the store Saturday to get groceries for the week, they could not access their funds. For most people, this would be similar to a bank closure. Lots of them don't even have bank accounts, so if there is a bank holiday, they might say the same thing about people panicking and rioting then. There are people that sell their EBT benefits (Illegally) some will do something else illegal with it, others will do things like pay their electric bill. Not able to do that Saturday would result in electric being cut off. More fees, that they can't afford, being added. For some people EBT shutting down for a day IS when things REALLY go bad.

I am not saying this to justify it. I am saying this to convey the idea, that for this segment of the population, this is their SHTF.

I believe that one of the things that will make someone a good prepper/survivalist is to know what is going on in the population and what will effect that population. Even though it might not seem relevant to you at the time, you might feel/see repercussions of it. Had a situation like this gone on for much longer, you might expect to see riots, crime, food banks wiped out, etc. Now that most people (prepper) are aware that something like this could happen, they can plan for it as well, just like they would an earthquake or fire. Who will be roaming your neighborhood if this happens?

I am also hoping that for the population that receives EBT, they will look on this as a learning experience. Be prepared for the eventuality that EBT might go down again, and it might be longer. If my neighbor wanted some pointers on storing fresh produce she got on sale with her EBT, just in case it might not be here next week, I will show her. I really, truely, hope that it will encourage this segment of the population to store for what might be around the corner.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
I've never heard of Paul Harvey but he's hit the nail right on the head 47 years ago.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #376 on: October 13, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
I've never heard of Paul Harvey but he's hit the nail right on the head 47 years ago.

I pm'd you.

Cedar

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #377 on: October 13, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »

I loved listening to Paul Harvey when I was little, as well as Derry Brownfield (originally "The Brownfield Network", then later "The Common Sense Coalition").  Mr. Brownfield would always end his broadcast with: "May the good Lord bless and keep you whether near or far away, may the good you wish for others shine on you today, may your heart stay tuned to music that will thrill the hearts of men, may the good Lord best and keep you till we meet again"

And whenever I hear the name "Dick Estell" (the "Radio Reader"), it immediately takes me back to the early 70's at 6:30 pm when I would be glued to the radio for the next 30 minutes listening to Mr. Estell read, in all it's entirety, James Harriott's All Creatures Great and Small.  In my little world back then, 7 pm came all too soon...

Now I live in a valley and even with an antenna all I can pick up is just one station.  The rest is either static or severely broken transmissions. :(

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »

Offline floridaprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
We are already in the slow death spiral,  all it will take is a slight increase in interest rates and you will see a rapid decent of all areas of the economy.  Rome wasn't built in a day, but it didn't collapse in a day either.  The future is now, prepare now while most think things are still normal and affordable or in the next 5 years your regrets will be magnified 10 fold.

endurance

« Reply #380 on: October 15, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »

And now for, the rest of the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/devil.asp

I knew some of that was a little too prophetic, like the drug sniffing dogs and metal detectors in schools.   ;)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
And now for, the rest of the story: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/devil.asp

I knew some of that was a little too prophetic, like the drug sniffing dogs and metal detectors in schools.   ;)

I actually like the real 1964 one better.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #382 on: October 15, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »

Wait a second, the internet tells LIES????

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #383 on: October 15, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
Wait a second, the internet tells LIES????