Author Topic: It's -25c and our power is out. Advice?  (Read 10748 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

  • Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • *******
  • Posts: 14646
  • Karma: 1861
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: It's -25c and our power is out. Advice?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »
Any combustion process creates carbon monoxide.  You need to watch what you tell people!

I should have done some research before writing that.  Here's the story from the owner's manual for Model No MH9BX - Portable Buddy:

Quote
...This heater requires a vent area of 9 square inches (example 3” x 3” opening) minimum for adequate ventilation during operation. Do not use other fuel burning appliances inside.
...
When used without adequate combustion and ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas.
...
This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreational enclosures having means for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans. It may be used for emergency indoor heating when connected to a disposable 1-lb. propane cylinder and for indoor use in commercial enclosures, having means for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as construction trailers or temporary work enclosures. ...

So the bottom line seems to be that, if there's adequate ventilation, the amount of carbon monoxide produced will be small enough that it's not dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:12:56 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline mike77

  • Survivalist Mentor
  • *****
  • Posts: 557
  • Karma: 8
Re: It's -25c and our power is out. Advice?
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
It probably wouldn't hurt to store a battery powered carbon monoxide detector with a heater like the Buddy heaters. Can't hurt to have nearby just in case.

endurance

  • Guest
Re: It's -25c and our power is out. Advice?
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
It probably wouldn't hurt to store a battery powered carbon monoxide detector with a heater like the Buddy heaters. Can't hurt to have nearby just in case.
Yep, I wouldn't sleep in a house without at least two (two is one, one is none).