Author Topic: Looking Ahead Of The Curve... Way Ahead Of The Curve  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
Looking Ahead Of The Curve... Way Ahead Of The Curve
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
Hello,

I am putting together my first bug-out-bag for myself and the wife.  I've been thinking quite a bit about it for the past few weeks, and I thought I'd bounce some ideas of the people here in the forum.

1.  When a bug-out situation occurs, won't the "preppers" stand out like a sore thumb and possibly be targets of attack by the unprepared?  For example, many preppers have camo and military looking bug-out-bags that look like they weigh 50 lbs.  I could easily see someone seeing that and thinking, ah, there's a juicy target.  All that hard work goes for nothing when an "unprepper"  klunks you over the head with a broom, and takes your gear.

2.  Depending on the situation, what is the likelihood of violent attack if someone knows you are a prepper before the SHTF?  Let's say that a friend of the family knows that you are a prepper, and that you've mentioned that you are stocked up with potassium iodide because there's a nuclear plant nearby (which there is -- I live about 30 minutes from a large nuclear power plant).  Were that nuclear plant to spring a leak, just how many people do you think might decide that your life is worth very little because you have some pills that might help their family and children survive?  How many people do you let know that you are prepping with a bug-out-bag?  I know, I know, it would be better that you tell everyone and that they listen to your advice and everyone be prepared so that nothing like that happens.  But, let's face it, a major reason why we're prepping is because so many people are too plain stupid to prep and will just freak-out when a bug-out event occurs.  Sorry to say, but I'm not counting on my fellow citizens to keep their cool when a SHTF event comes to town.

3.  Anyone have good ideas on bug-out-bags that are very low profile?  Preferrably on the small side, possible something like a messenger bag?  Lots of interior pockets and holders (little flashlights, pens, etc.) would be a plus.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Looking Ahead Of The Curve... Way Ahead Of The Curve
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »
Howdy, Xavier -- welcome to TSP Forum!

My first suggestion would be to look around the old posts here.  Your concerns are important ones, so they've come up in conversation previously.  If it weren't my bedtime I'd search out a few good threads for you.  [...zzzzz]

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
Hello,

I am putting together my first bug-out-bag for myself and the wife.  I've been thinking quite a bit about it for the past few weeks, and I thought I'd bounce some ideas of the people here in the forum.

1.  When a bug-out situation occurs, won't the "preppers" stand out like a sore thumb and possibly be targets of attack by the unprepared?  For example, many preppers have camo and military looking bug-out-bags that look like they weigh 50 lbs.  I could easily see someone seeing that and thinking, ah, there's a juicy target.  All that hard work goes for nothing when an "unprepper"  klunks you over the head with a broom, and takes your gear.

Well, as Mr. Bill put it, it has been discussed but there's really not a full consensus on the answer.

First, don't advertise your prepping.  If you're bugging out, yes, you do want to maintain a relatively low profile.  I am not, however, of the firm belief that just because a bag looks military does it mean that you're going to be a target.  Perhaps if you're completely dressed from head-to-toe in camo, etc.

But then, let's look at it another way: Which would you harass?  A hippie with flowers and a peace sign on his pack or some guy who looks like he's itching for a fight?

Keeping this in mind, keep your clothing neutral.  A pair of Khaki BDU pants with an olive shirt and boots won't draw a second glance. That pack can be easily covered with a similarly neutrally-colored pack cover.  Take a look at a lot of "travellers" or homeless. . .they tend to carry Alice packs or military-looking packs mainly because they're durable and cheap.  Use your pack, dirty it up a bit.  Don't walk out the door with it if it looks like you just picked it off the shelf.

Additionally, try to aim for 35 lbs or less.  Think about what you may have to do with that pack in addition to just walking.  You may have to climb a fence or a wall. Can you throw your pack over an 8' wall?  Can you climb into a 2nd story window and easily pull it up behind you?  Can your spouse or kids do the same with their packs?

2.  Depending on the situation, what is the likelihood of violent attack if someone knows you are a prepper before the SHTF?  Let's say that a friend of the family knows that you are a prepper, and that you've mentioned that you are stocked up with potassium iodide because there's a nuclear plant nearby (which there is -- I live about 30 minutes from a large nuclear power plant).  Were that nuclear plant to spring a leak, just how many people do you think might decide that your life is worth very little because you have some pills that might help their family and children survive?  How many people do you let know that you are prepping with a bug-out-bag?  I know, I know, it would be better that you tell everyone and that they listen to your advice and everyone be prepared so that nothing like that happens.  But, let's face it, a major reason why we're prepping is because so many people are too plain stupid to prep and will just freak-out when a bug-out event occurs.  Sorry to say, but I'm not counting on my fellow citizens to keep their cool when a SHTF event comes to town.

This particular scenario HAS happened.  Did the people of 3-Mile Island freak out and start slaughtering their neighbors for Potassium Iodide tablets?

This is one of those situations that's best answered with a question of it's own: Is it better to stay in place or leave for a location that gives you a better chance of surviving? If you are afraid your neighbors are going to turn into baby-killing maniacs hell-bent on your destruction (or your MRE's), then you may want to consider moving NOW to a place where the people are more level-headed.  If such a situation as the one you described were to occur, then you need to leave as soon as possible.  If a nuclear power plant has a radiation leak, I'm not hanging around. . .anti-nuke pills or not.

3.  Anyone have good ideas on bug-out-bags that are very low profile?  Preferrably on the small side, possible something like a messenger bag?  Lots of interior pockets and holders (little flashlights, pens, etc.) would be a plus.

I don't recommend Messenger- or sling-style bags.  You want an internal-framed pack with a waistbelt.  Once again, think of what you're going to have to do in a bug-out situation.  You may have to move fast over uneven terrain.  You'll want both hands as free as you can make them.  You may have to climb or jump.  A messenger or shoulder-type bag will shift on you. . .not a good thing if you're straddling an 8' wall trying to help a loved one up.  They're simply no good if you have to run. You could be zipping around a corner or having to step over a hunk of broken concrete and the bag slides to one side, suddenly throwing your center of gravity off. 

Not a good thing when you find yourself impaled on a hunk of rebar or broken steel beam.

Just some thoughts.  Do look around, you'll find a lot of this type of discussion.

The Professor

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:36:19 AM »
  To give you an idea of the stuff you may want to carry here is a link to a video by Dave Canterbury, at least I hope i did this right, my bug out bag is like his, but i have added 6 pouches of mountain house, plus 6 cans of sterno, my pack I bought at kmart for about 50 bucks, its blue, has a camelback bladder, to it I have added a fanny pack that holds 2 water bottles, I plan to replace them with berkey sport bottles, I have firs aid supply, including a vial of clove oil and Qtips, ( my teeth are crap) clove oil is cheap and deadens tooth vpain better than orajel, I still need to add a hatchet, and a water filter, but not being well endowed with cash i have to take it slow, the professor had it right on the head get that bag looking rough, that way it doesnt scream new.  I have an off the shelf cookware kit, in mine which will also double up as a way to mjake water safe to drink,  About the video I wish he went into more detail on his fishing kit, so I will go into what I put into mine, first I coiled up about 100 yards of 10 pound test monofilament, 10 sinkers, 40 hooks, a set of cheap lures, crappie jigs mostly, plus about 50 feet of florist wire(for snares) all this fits in an altoids tin wrapped in duct tape, hope this helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnVHhGSOO8# ;D

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
As to reply about wouldn't preppers stand out in  a crowd.Might think  a bout a triple tiered plan. Survival at your residence, survival traveling to  a safe location, survival at a safe location. Have more than one contingency plan, and prepare for each plan. Keep it simple, yet effective.You needs at home would be easiest to prepare for.Then prepare for travel to  a safe location, whether in a vehicle or on foot. All you have to do during this faze of survival is doing whatever it takes to get to a safe location.Then prepare for survival at your safe location.That is the hardest, Picking out a secure area and building it according to what you can afford to build.Avoiding the usual actions ,locations, travel routes that the masses will be doing/traveling is the wisest choice.Avoid making yourself a target as much  as possible.Just some random thoughts on this subject.