Author Topic: Now What?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
Now What?
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
I just got hold of my wife's grandfathers' Kenwood TS-830S.  Eventually I'd like to get licensed and all that, but what do I need to start listening? Anybody willing to help a noob get started?

Offline Sailor

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Now What?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
Some coax and some long wire for antenna.   

Do you know any hams in your area?  Much easier for them to just show you vs the trial and error of figuring it out yourself.

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »
I don't know any hams unfortunately.  There is an antenna leading into the house with coax.  It is a big antenna, but the pole got folded over in a windstorm.  Will it still work?  Also, how important is it for me to ground my radio?  I'm beginning to think that I might be over my head with this radio.  Also, I know there are 3 tubes in it.  Is there anything I need to do or not do to protect them?  I'm trying to print the manual right now, so I'll soon be wading through that. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:50:05 PM by Joe »

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »
Hey Joe....sounds to me like you have quite the challenge with acquiring this radio. Since you posted back in February, what have you done?
If you haven't done so already, find out about the local ham clubs in your area..this should be real easy. Pick one close to you and attend one of their meetings. You don't have to be a member or even feel compelled to join, just listen to the discussion and try your best to make some contacts. After explaining what you have and that you are trying to become licensed to use it, you should have no trouble finding someone willing to help you out.

Occeltic

KJ6EZR