Author Topic: Shelterbox?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Shelterbox?
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »
http://www.shelterboxusa.org/InsideAShelterbox.aspx

Anyone considering these?  Thinking that they are MADE for disasters, they would make a great addition as a bug out box.

I know you can put alot of this stuff together yourself, but I wonder if they would be something to recommend for new preppers.

Not sure if you can just buy the boxes from them.  If anything, might be a good model for your kit!

Offline theadob

• Survivor
Re: Shelterbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
the webs ite looks like you can only buy them for donation.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
The purpose of them for relief effort is very cool.

The concept of them is very intriguing. But for $1000 ea, a bit cost ineffective.

Still, I think it's a very cool model for a vehicle Bug Out Box. A durable tote of some kind, and stuff similar to that, probably obtained far more inexpensively.

I bet for $200 and some coupons/effort/scrounging you could make a very cool one. Might make for an interesting emergency/preparedness gift, or even as a cool cache item with a suitable container...

Yes, intriguing...

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
I generally have a serious aversion to ready made kits for just about any purpose.  In every one I have personally handled you end up with a majority of cheap crap that you could have come up with a cheaper, better quality replacement.

As mentioned these particular ones seem to be a product that you buy and is donated to some relief effort or another.  Which brings me to my serious aversion to participating in any type of charity that I am not personally involved with.  Seems like there are too many "administrative costs" associated with such things.  I prefer to do my charity through my church or in person.

Not to mention my serious aversion to anything based in the UK as these things end up involving the very repressive government.

But I think the idea itself is sound as an item for new preppers or a charity item to give out, maybe to those friends and family members who at the moment think you are crazy.  Or a box you can carry in your truck to make thing as un-stressful as possible for your family if the need raises it's nasty head.

shadowbody

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
I generally have a serious aversion to ready made kits for just about any purpose.  In every one I have personally handled you end up with a majority of cheap crap that you could have come up with a cheaper, better quality replacement.

QFT!

I've seen so many "Complete bug-out kit" and "3-day survival supply box" offered which contain cheap and flimsy-constructed plastic tools which break the first time they are used.  I see sites like this one which offer ready-made kits as survival-noob bait.  People who are just learning about survival and preparedness see this and think if they shell out $1K they too will be on-par with their new peers.

I can give a thousand dollar survival/shelter kit to my dufus uncle Karl who has lived in NYC all his life and he STILL won't know how to pitch a tent; know to look for level ground, know how to use tarps not only to shelter from rain but to also use it as a water-catch; or what woods in the forrest burn better than others and what to look for.

Having gear is great; but that's only half of the job.  Having hands-on experience with the gear and knowing how it works, where failure points are and how to effectively utilize it is the other half. 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
I've seen the full shelterbox kit in person and it is more substantial than I thought it would be.  It really is meant for third world use when there just isn't another option for basic needs shelter.  Think Haiti right now.   Several Rotary Clubs in my area work with shelterbox and I believe the cost is less than the stated $1000.

It's good and all but not broadly impacting per $ or unit; there are ways to touch more people if charity to the third world is your thing.  We work more with basic clean water initiatives on the family and village level; diarrhea kills more children in the world than dictators eachquakes floods and hurricanes combined.  My 2 cents

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
ShelterBox: Template For Your Own BugOutBox
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »

Check it out:

http://www.shelterboxusa.org/index.php

...go as low (Wal-Mart) or as fancy ($$$'s) as you want...and donate to help those that can't even get any water to drink!  Some pics friends of mine in Japan are sending look like a combo of a nuke strike and the Tunguska event.  The govt. is flailing a little, and has a lot of things (exploding nuke plants!) to deal with.

G.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:11:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Greg. I merged this with an older thread on the subject.