Author Topic: My Emergency Bag - I didn't spend a dime  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
My Emergency Bag - I didn't spend a dime
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
After listening to podcasts and reading the forums for a long time, I still hadn't put together any kind of "bug out bag".  So I finally got up and just started going through all the drawers, cabinets, and closets in my house.  After all that and a trip to my garage this is what I came up with.  I wouldn't call this a bug out bag but more like a "at least I'm a LITTLE prepared" bag for emergency situations. 

I was really surprised and what all I had from just "junk" laying around:

Here's a list of what's in it.

Bag - just your standard backpack

The Gear:
leather motorcycle gloves
microfiber cloth
sunglasses
rubber tubing neck strap for glasses
25 feet of nylon string
shoe laces :)
2 foot bungee cord
carabiner
Gerber multitool and pocket knife
batteries - AAA, AA, and a 9v
small tool kit - screw drivers, wire cutters, needle nose, etc
small monkey wrench
mini Maglight (score! I didn't even know I had this, plus it's a pretty purple color lol)
paper and pen
the round tin has - mini hex wrenches, assortment of nails, screws, a couple cotter pins
2 heavy duty garbage bags
2 extra ziplock bags
several feet of duct tape wrapped around the medicine bottles

The Food:
2 bottles of water
5 packs of instant oatmeal
2 protein bars
packs of green tea
cubes of bullion
(I know this is really lacking but like I said it's just stuff I had that I thought might work)

Medicine/Hygiene:
toothpaste
chapstick
kleenex
floss
body wash
lotion
pain killers
allergy meds
shaving razor
shaving gel
plastic toothpicks
ear plugs
latex gloves
sponge (/shrug i just found these last two items laying around)

That's pretty much it.  If you've been putting off getting some emergency prep, do what I did and you'll probably be surprised at what you come up with.

My want list:
First aid kit
small fishing kit
poncho
space blanket
a LIGHTER (definitely buying one today)
better food options
extra clothes

Ideally this will be a bag I can toss in my car and maybe carry around with me SOME.  I want it to be really practical and usable in everyday life.  Once I get this going maybe I can do something more elaborate.  I would really welcome any comments or suggestions.  I figured in the wake of Japan's tragedy this might be a time where more people would be open minded about projects like this.  Thanks for looking!  ;D

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
Re: My Emergency Bag - I didn't spend a dime
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
Good idea.  Makes me realize that I've got extra's of all that stuff - at home.  I just need to carry a subset of it around with me.  Thanks.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Good Job.
Organization and planning are two elements of prepping that are often viewed as secondary to buying stuff. 

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
It looks like a pretty good start to me.

It's always good when you have some of the equipment for a BOB already at hand and it's just a matter of putting it together in an easily accessible kit. Now you can put some money towards the items that you really want, but may have skimped on initially if you didn't have some of the kit already.

Xixor5, please stop by The Front Porch > Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the folks on the forum when you get the chance.

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »

Xixor5, please stop by The Front Porch > Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the folks on the forum when you get the chance.

I think I did a long time ago but I don't remember.  I'll have to see if I can find my old posts :)  Thanks for the comments.

On a side note, this is kind of freaky but my power went out for like 10 minutes just a little while ago.  I was grabbin my stuff and getting ready to head out the door to see what was going on but the power came back haha.

Offline Servelan

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
I think you should look around for something to eat the oatmeal out of, like a mug or something; little hard to eat hot bouillon and/or oatmeal without something to contain it.

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
I don't disagree with the approach, but I decided to start from scratch.  That way I could obtain maximum use and economy from fewer items.

For instance, I only use items that take AAA batteries.  AAA batteries take up less space, and I think it's easier having to only worry about one battery type.

Also, I notice that you have a lot of tools.  I might run afoul of some people, but I really doubt that I'll need a whole bag of tools in my 72-Hour bag/BOB/GHB.  I have one multi-tool.

Don't let what I said sound critical -- I think you've done a GREAT job putting together something that will definitely help get you through a bug out situation.

My aim is to keep the BOB very light, and highly useful, that's all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:03:47 PM by Xavier »

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
Nice suggestions.  Thanks.  I'll definitely be phasing out the tools and batteries into something more economical when I require more room in the bag.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
Nice - I like the idea of "Just do it!"

I've been prepping for a while and have had several different bags, but I think I'm stuck in the development stage and do not have any production bags (real stuff) ready at this moment.  Time to take a couple of my prototype bags and freeze (as in freeze the contents list, not temperature freeze :D) them and stick them by the front door.  (Development work will continue on other bags, after all engineers like to tinker ;))

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »
Nice - I like the idea of "Just do it!"

I've been prepping for a while and have had several different bags, but I think I'm stuck in the development stage and do not have any production bags (real stuff) ready at this moment.  Time to take a couple of my prototype bags and freeze (as in freeze the contents list, not temperature freeze :D) them and stick them by the front door.  (Development work will continue on other bags, after all engineers like to tinker ;))

Xixor5 - Nice work! With prepping slow and steady wins the race; you have an excellent start my friend!

ChEng - I had the same problem. After a year or so of preps I had plenty of good gear, but didn't have a 'production bag'. About a month ago I purchased my first true BOB and filled it with my gear. It took me about 30 mins to round up all my stuff and pack it securely which is about 15 mins too long in a desperate situation and could have been a factor in getting out of the metro on time and not... I'm still collecting items from my homemade preparedness spreadsheet and adding them to my pack as needed...

I still need to make a suitable GHB now that my commute is about to increase from 5 mins (5 miles) to 90 mins (80 miles); until now I've just kept water, a toolkit, a hatchet, 9mm pistol, machete, rope, emergency candles, matches, flashlight, work gloves and pocket knife under the back seat of my truck (with the exception of the 9mm and the mag in separate locked compartments). Now that I have to drive the more economical Honda Civic everyday (with no locking compartments) I'll need to redefine my 'carry' items  ;) ... -MH

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »
Xixor5 - Nice work! With prepping slow and steady wins the race; you have an excellent start my friend!

Thanks!

I was thinking of buying an ALICE type bag and some other military surplus type items.  Anyone have suggestions of good military surplus stores on the internet?

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »
Thanks!

I was thinking of buying an ALICE type bag and some other military surplus type items.  Anyone have suggestions of good military surplus stores on the internet?

Military gear has a lot of advantages, but in a real disaster you may want to be camouflaged.  Camouflage does not mean green, brown and other colors mottled; it means low-key, as in "not standing out."  If the local authorities are looking for trouble-makers, they may key in on military looking gear.  The wacked out survivalist militants seem to love military stuff, and the authorities know about them.

Although, I am a military vet, most of my gear is very much in a civvie color scheme (and, as my kids can attest, I really like military stuff.)  I, mostly, choose subdued colors, such as greys, blacks, browns and other similar colors.  These will not stand out in color, nor will they attract attention from nervous LEOs.  You know: "nobody here but us sheeple, officer.  You don't need to worry about me"

Just something to think about...

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »
I agree 100% with CHEng.

My two BOBs are very civilian looking.  Partly because the wife's attitude is more accepting of an "emergency" backpack than she would be of a "military looking" backpack.

The civilian "emergency" backpack got a "Oh, neat.  Okay, we can put that to good use."

A "military looking" backpack would have gotten a "Why'd you waste your money on that goony stuff" response.

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »

A "military looking" backpack would have gotten a "Why'd you waste your money on that goony stuff" response.

;D ;D ;D ;D  My girlfriend thinks I've lost it lol

Offline bama_medic

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »
Great job and unlike others I like the thought of the tools in the bag if your keeping it in the vehicle. it is good to have a few basic tools in your vehicle. If you do have to bug out of the vehicle you can always leave the tools in the vehicle. I keep one of these in my bag. http://nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=52&cid=21 . It is very useful. This an adjustable wrench and a pair of vise grips is almost all you would need in a pinch.

Also for anyone who has meds in their bags and they are leaving it in a vehicle for long periods of time there is something you need to remember about the meds. Heat and cold do not do treat them well. The main problem is heat. I have seen this personally. I found a bottle of Ibuprofen that I had bought to keep in the console of my truck that was only a few months old that had almost completely disintegrated. This is just some info I think everyone should try to remember. When you keep meds in your car or truck try to rotate them out often.

I think you did a great job in a hurry.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 04:36:29 PM »
Great job and unlike others I like the thought of the tools in the bag if your keeping it in the vehicle. it is good to have a few basic tools in your vehicle. If you do have to bug out of the vehicle you can always leave the tools in the vehicle. I keep one of these in my bag. http://nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=52&cid=21 . It is very useful. This an adjustable wrench and a pair of vise grips is almost all you would need in a pinch.

That's a pretty handy looking bit of kit.

Whn you get a moment, if you haven't done so already, please drop by The Front Porch > Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the forums, bama_medic.

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »
That's a pretty handy looking bit of kit.

Whn you get a moment, if you haven't done so already, please drop by The Front Porch > Intro Thread to introduce yourself to the forums, bama_medic.

Yeah I've done that once or twice already >.>