Author Topic: Salt  (Read 12739 times)

Offline duster22

• Prepper
Salt
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Does anyone know if animal salt blocks are safe for human consumption?
Do that have (or make) ones with iodine?

I know salt is dirt cheap to begin with so why bother with a lick, right?
It just strikes me as a more compact storage form that is less likely to be sensitive to moisture exposure.
Also might make a good barter item.

Anyone have any input on this?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
i heard - take this for what it is worth - heard from someone that salt for human consumption has to follow certain standards.  ie, if it spilled on the floor, it can no longer be classified as "for human consumption"
but salt is salt, IMO, and I have heard someone (the same someone as above) say that she buys animal salt because it is cheaper.

but salt is so darn cheap and stores forever if taken care of properly, might as well buy lots and store it airtight and moisture free.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
is it safe for human consumption? I say yes, I was raised on a farm and me and my cousins use to get a kick out of breaking off a piece and licking it.
no sure why we done it we were kids, but we done it often,

as for iodine added, I dont know, doubt it.

but as stated before it is super cheap, I have 3-4 gallons of quart sized containers I bought for .48 cents a piece, then I packed most of it
in mylar bags and vacuum sealed it, being compact is not a real big issue, as you would never need over 5-10 gallon I would think.

as for a salt block it would be a PITA to break off a piece off the block and grind or scrape it into small powder.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »
Sounds like work. I buy two containers of the made-for-humans stuff everytime I go to walmart. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy lol.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »
Actually, I did a bit of research on this for a radio show....salt licks often have dyes and additives in them, some even have vitamins and a few have anitbiotics (but you'd know about the anti biotic ones), so are not considered safe for human conumption.
Salt is one of the "forever foods" that has no shelf life, so it will last forever. As long as it's not dirty, it's fine. Few pests can really bother it (if any).
The trick with getting the salt you need is picking which one to stock up on!  Table salt has additives that keep it from clumping, but those additives will turn your pickles and salted meats a funky color (pink). However, most table salt has iodine, which is valuable for most people, but this can be gotten by eating lots of leafy greens like spinach. Table salt is widely available and the best buy, you can still find it at Wally World for about 40 cents a pound, maybe less.
Canning salt and kosher salt and recommended for food processing...they do not have the additives and the grains are a bit courser.  Slightly more expensive, but still a great buy.  You might try a sausage supply place on line for bulk kosher/canning salt.  If you are prepping for a grid down shtf situation, you will need LOTS of salt for meat preservation.
Sea Salt - the cream of salts according to chefs. I find it's not something I get much of as it's so expensive now (many places want $5 a pound!!!)
but if you are a gourmet, store some, it won't go bad!

Offline duster22

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
Thank you all for the great info and tips.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered about this.

JoeD

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
Sea Salt - the cream of salts according to chefs. I find it's not something I get much of as it's so expensive now (many places want $5 a pound!!!)
but if you are a gourmet, store some, it won't go bad!

I have 70 pounds of Himalayan Sea Salt stored away in quart/pint/half-pint jars and 5 pounds for personal use for the present and coming years.  I purchased the salt several years ago from The San Francisco Bath Salt Company. http://www.sfbsc.com/himalayan-salts

I'm really happy with the product and use it with my bread baking, etc.  A quick check of their website shows a current sale (they always have sales) and you can get great Himalayan for about $2-$3 a pound depending on amount sometimes with free shipping.

One of the best things about this salt and other sea salts is their heavy concentration of essential minerals.  This could be very helpful in a SHTF situation.