Author Topic: A day of working on skills  (Read 1276 times)

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
A day of working on skills
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:29 AM »
I've got a few people at work interested in learning some bushcraft skills. They've always been mildly interested, but the tsunami in Japan really got them motivated. We live in a very active earthquake zone and have hurricanes to worry about. So we decided to work on some skills that would help us get by in the event of a disruption of our 'normal' lives.

Yesterday, we met at Dorthea Beach and hiked over to Neltjberg beach, about a half hour trek.
Once there, we worked on some bushcraft skills. We had literally JUST gotten there, when one of the youngsters put his hand on a dead sapling. He immediately pulled it back in pain. I first though fire ant, but upon talking to him, it was probably a scorpion. I applied some extra strength Ambesol to the sting area, and gave him a benadryl.
Lessons: Watch where you put your hands, and have a good first aid kit with you. I'm convinced that the quick application of 1st aid prevented him from having a reaction and ruining the day.
We set to work on a fire. I gathered some dry grass on the hike. Several gathered wood (paying attention to where they were putting their hands), one youngster divided the wood into piles by size, and 2 made the bird's nest and got it going with a ferro rod.
There was plenty of fresh coconut around. The Recon Scout made short work of getting into them.
I demonstrated how well the pocket chainsaw worked. I wanted some hard, seasoned wood for good coals on the fire. I found an old mahogany that fit the bill. I took a few chops at it with the RS, but it was way too hard. so out came the pocket chain saw. For how compact it is, it really works well. It'll take down green saplings in seconds.
We worked on making some spoons, using the coal method of burning out the bowl area.
Once we had a good bed of coals in the fire, we started cooking. Bannock on the rocks, rice in the billy cans. We also cooked bacon and veggie burgers on the rocks.
I set up my hammock and got a couple of minutes of relaxation :)
All in all, a great day!

bushcraft on the beach May Day 2011.wmv

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: A day of working on skills
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
That looks like a great time!

Thanks for sharing the video.

Offline Tater_Salad

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
Great use of spare time! I hope some inspiration was drummed up in your group from your examples.

Tater

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
Great write up...loved the video!!