Author Topic: Can I move a garden?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
Can I move a garden?
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Have any of you ever moved a garden?

I'm trying to find an entry-level position in a new career path and my current location has few options open. My wife and I are willing to move just about anywhere in the Southeast, but there's a hitch in our potential get-along: we have a raised bed garden with some promising young plants that haven't produced a crop yet.

If it's at all possible, we'd like to take the plants and bed materials with us. My initial thought is to transplant our plants (four tomatos, two cucumbers, two bell peppers, two sweet basil, and a small rosemary bush) into containers like five gallon buckets.

I'd love to hear your ideas!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Can I move a garden?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »
I suspected I was going to be able to get a farm by around mid-summer one year and I did. I actually planted an obnoxious amount of tomatoes and peppers into 4 gallon ice cream buckets with holes drilled into the bottom. It took 2 full sized pickup loads to get them to the new place, but I did it. I think I had something like 96 plants.

If you are careful, you ought to be able to move some of the plants. Rosemary is said to hate transplanting, but I moved a huge one too large for a 5 gallon bucket and pretty much unceremoniously dropped it into the ground and did not water it all last summer (of course it rained for half of it). It survived quite well and is flowering as I type this. The cucumbers I would transplant ASAP and put a skookum tomato cage attached to it so that it climbs instead of sprawls. The cukes are the only ones I think you might lose. The others might sulk for a bit and drop flowers, but should recover fine.

Cedar

Offline Zuplex

• Survivor
    • Grow Engedi
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Cedar. I have the cukes climbing up lines of rope right now. I figure I can just have my wife hold the rope up while I transplant them, then secure the rope to a tall stake or pole sticking out of the bucket.

I didn't realize that rosemary isn't supposed to transplant well. Ours is less than a year old and not very big, so I have high hopes for its survival.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
If the move is known to happen soon, I would skip putting the plants in the ground and plant into containers.  That's what we did when we moved from the townhouse to the homestead.  Make up a bunch of self watering containers from big plastic totes and plant away. 

Word of warning, an 18 gallon tote seems pretty big, but it is only big enough for 1 tomato plant.