Author Topic: 'Cheap' Radio  (Read 25321 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 'Cheap' Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Only 2 watts output power and 99 channels, but a pretty good deal for close-in comms.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
Only 2 watts output power and 99 channels, but a pretty good deal for close-in comms.

That is what I thought..  I don't know anything about the radio,.. and some point I hope to get one just to goof with it.  If I break then then.. well.. what have I lost.  It's not my VX-7r..

I could see these  as useful rigs,.. but without knowing more,. difficult to say.

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
You should check out the Duet Radio. Don't look at the price on their site. I bought my dual bander for $50 and it's better than my single band Yaesu FT-60R.

http://duet-radio.com/DT-UVD1P.html

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 12:11:30 AM »
Idelphic, how easy is this thing to program?  I bought a Woxum KG-UV6D and it's really a pain to program on the fly, or modify existing memory slots (channels.)

*Rabbit Trail Alert*

I'd really like to find an economical dual band mobile that's easy to program, too.  My Kenwood TM-G707 mobile is about to become ham shack gear.  Everything about that model seems backwards.

*End Rabbit Trail Alert*

~TG

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:41 AM »
Idelphic, how easy is this thing to program?  I bought a Woxum KG-UV6D and it's really a pain to program on the fly, or modify existing memory slots (channels.)

*Rabbit Trail Alert*

I'd really like to find an economical dual band mobile that's easy to program, too.  My Kenwood TM-G707 mobile is about to become ham shack gear.  Everything about that model seems backwards.

*End Rabbit Trail Alert*

~TG

Duet and Wouxoun are the same exact radios only one is a whole lot cheaper. They are kind of a pain to program, but its that way with just about any new handheld. How long have you been a HAM?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:39:44 AM »
Duet and Wouxoun are the same exact radios only one is a whole lot cheaper. They are kind of a pain to program, but its that way with just about any new handheld. How long have you been a HAM?

Well, I've kinda been a ham most of my life, but just now getting into amateur radio.

Sorry.  Okay...

Yeah, several of those Chinese radios look similar.  Didn't know if they came from the same factory, or had the same engineering team, or just a lack of imagination.

I've been exposed to commercial (business and public service) two-way radio for many years, so it wasn't a big jump to amateur. 

~TG

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
I have the UV-5R+. (1w/5w) Actually, at $43/each I bought 3.

While I was waiting on my cable, which came across by rowboat, I got familiar with programming by keypad.  It's not exactly intuitive, but not difficult once you get it.  If you go to
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ there is probably everything you need to know about the UV-5r, and some of it might cross over to the UV-3r and wouxun.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:40:04 AM »
UV-3R BAOFENG136-174/400-470Mhz +USB program NEW!

http://cgi.ebay.com/UV-3R-BAOFENG136-174-400-470Mhz-USB-program-NEW_W0QQitemZ110700909798QQihZ001QQcategoryZ163855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

eHam Review

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9749

Manufacturer Site:
http://www.verotelecom.com/Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio-UV-3R.htm

I'm a Wouxun guy, but I'd give the UV-5R a closer look for (as mentioned) $43 on amazon.   "they" say it's a little easier to use and offers higher power and an extended life battery. I've got them on my 'to buy' list for 2013...

SCW

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:16 AM »
You should check out the Duet Radio. Don't look at the price on their site. I bought my dual bander for $50 and it's better than my single band Yaesu FT-60R.

http://duet-radio.com/DT-UVD1P.html

FP-please share where you found them for $50!  Thanks!

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »
FP-please share where you found them for $50!  Thanks!

I got mine at a store outside of Houston when I was there. Houston Amateur Radio Supply. I believe they have gone back up to like $80 now, but still....that's wayyyyy better than alot of other radios on the market, and it does the same exact thing!

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
I got mine at a store outside of Houston when I was there. Houston Amateur Radio Supply. I believe they have gone back up to like $80 now, but still....that's wayyyyy better than alot of other radios on the market, and it does the same exact thing!

I was just checking out Amazon, and found that a couple of dealers have the UV5R for approx $35-45. The 2013 model, with ugraged chassis is about $50. Micophones are any where from $15-20, and the USB connector for downloading softwear anywhere between $2-11. A USB connector and disk with softwear was $6 at one site, but even a lot of the software and instructions on programming are available online. Spare batteries are about $10, which is not a bad idea to get since there's no AA adapter that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure how much of a deal for international shipping to Canada but if I were in the US I certainly would have ordered at least one or two of these radios by now (one for EDC, another for BOB, and maybe third for lending to friends, etc).

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »
I picked one of these up from Amazon about a month ago and really like it.  I'm getting repeaters about 10 - 15 miles away.  I use Chirp to program the radio and also programmed in several public safety channels so I can use it as a scanner also (there is a way in Chirp to disable transmit on specific channels).

If you are just starting out, I highly recommend this if you are looking for an inexpensive start.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
I'll admit that I didn't go the BaoFeng route..  I did pick up a Wouxun from PowerWerx.  For the most part, for the cost of the radio, and the accessories I got with it, I have been impressed.

At some point I might get the BaoFeng - But I have two HTs,.. and hardly use either.  Local repeater usage is good,.. but the group I circle in isn't really active anymore.

Offline katunk

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »
Purchased Baofeng UV-5R (4 watts on high power). Bought the programming cable and the  thing works great. Pain to try and program thru keyboard, recommend buying programming cable with two plugs on it.  I originally bought a cable that had one plug on it and turned out to be a cloned cable with cloned IC inside that didn't work with cable driver. Will change antenna to a gain antenna. Great radio for the beginner ham.

Regards,
katunk

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
I picked one of these up from Amazon about a month ago and really like it.  I'm getting repeaters about 10 - 15 miles away.  I use Chirp to program the radio and also programmed in several public safety channels so I can use it as a scanner also (there is a way in Chirp to disable transmit on specific channels).

If you are just starting out, I highly recommend this if you are looking for an inexpensive start.

Chirp?

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
Chirp?
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Some nice cross-platform programming software (cross PC platform and radio platform)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/review-baofeng-uv-b5-baofeng-uv-b6/

There is a New Baofeng in town, and it's getting some great press! Cheap too!!!!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Some nice cross-platform programming software (cross PC platform and radio platform)

Interesting... thanks!

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »
I'm getting repeaters about 10 - 15 miles away.

Not bragging, just adding to the testimony... I regularly check in to a net with my UV-5R on a 2m repeater that's 35 miles away with decent reports.

That UV-B# looks like an improvement, except for the reduction in # of characters for the memory channel name from 7 to 5.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Great post.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a UV-B6.

Offline Meldrew

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
Hang on - there's a new one.

Baofeng F-11

Looks to be the same basic platform - 4watt/1watt, 128 memory slots

Don't mean to muddy the waters, just lettin' you know. 

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
the F-11 has no tuning knob...there is a version that does....i think

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
Just ordered a UV-B6 off eBay for $41.00 shipped! 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
Just ordered a UV-B6 off eBay for $41.00 shipped!
Like to hear a review when you get it please...  Not that I need another radio..  but curious as to how it works out,.. feels,.. and what not.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
I cant believe it.  It is here already.  Yes, from China that quick.  I'm going to need an outlet adapter to get the battery charged.  Other than that, it looks much larger in the photos online - this thing is tiny.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »
I cant believe it.  It is here already.  Yes, from China that quick.  I'm going to need an outlet adapter to get the battery charged.  Other than that, it looks much larger in the photos online - this thing is tiny.

Did yours not come with a North American compatable outlet adaptor? It looks as if that will be the determining issue of who I might order these from if I get one (or two).

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
Did yours not come with a North American compatable outlet adaptor? It looks as if that will be the determining issue of who I might order these from if I get one (or two).

Just looked at it a little closer.  The two prong outlet is 220VAC.  I'm taking it over to the lab at work to charge it but will need a more permanent solution.

Offline JustGreg

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
This is getting to the point where its inevitable--I've been putting off getting a ham license for...oh....30 years?

Time to study the requirements/license priv's table!

G.