Author Topic: #10 5 gal. buckets local or online buy?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
#10 5 gal. buckets local or online buy?
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
So I have been looking for local places to buy these #10 buckets from but I haven't found any yet still even after find a few bulk food sellers they just use bags witch won't work for to long. I know their are some good online sites that sell them for about 7dollars a piece witch im ok with but then I have to pay shipping on top of that so it will probebly end up being like 10 bucks just for a bucket If I can find a local place or if any of you can think of a bigger chain store that might be local that I could find a few of these at that would be awsome.

It would be mainly for storing rice and maybe beans down the road but for right now just rice so maybe something smaller even.

I watched jacks video on how to do the sealing of the buckets and such. It feels good to store food that you eat :P

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: #10 5 gal. buckets local or online buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
Emergency Essentials (www.beprepared.com) has buckets with lids for $7.50 each, or $7 each when you buy 10 or more, and shipping up to $60 is only $6,and $9 between $60 and $120 orders. I've always had great service from them.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
Yeah they are my top choice right now wish I could buy local though so I'm gunna do searching around and also seeing if others on here know of anything else.

endurance

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »
When I haven't been able to locate local sources for free buckets (try Costco bakery if you're a member, any donut shop, many restaurants), then Home Depot and Lowes will have them without the shipping costs.  If it's something you plan on accessing regularly, consider spending a few more bucks and getting some gamma seal lids.  Very convenient and you're sure it's sealed, where the Lowe's lids tend to leak if you don't use silicone sealant.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
 I should have mentioned....if you order buckets, spend the extra couple bucks and get the plastic bucket tool. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the fingers! Ours hangs inside the pantry, on the door so it's always there when needed.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline cam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »
I just went to the beprepared website and ordered 10  6gal. buckets, 10 gamma lids, 10 metalized bags, and 10 o2 absorbers. The grand total with shipping was $184.74. Sounds like a lot but that's a ton of storage.
I hope I never have to turn you away and tell you I told you so.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
I haven't bought any of my (probably 40+) 5-gallon buckets... all were obtained by asking for empties at bakeries in grocery stores, Walmart, etc. I did buy some gamma lids and a bucket opener at USAEmergency Supply when I bought my grinder.

Offline headush

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »
I found 5 gallon food grade buckets at Lowes for $3.99 and lids for $1.50. White labeled as food grade buckets.
Best price anywhere.

Offline AutumnDawn

• Prepper
  • Building a new life
    • Autumn Dawn
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Firehouse Subs sells their 5 gallon pickle buckets for $2 and uses the money for charity. (All proceeds benefit Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation)

These folks showed how they got the pickle smell out of the buckets.
http://arewecrazyorwhat.net/how-to-get-the-smell-out-of-firehouse-subs-pickle-buckets/

The sandwiches aren't bad either.  ;)