Author Topic: A nice water catchment system...  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain

nkawtg

Re: A nice water catchment system...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
Very informative.

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Pretty awesome! I've been engineering something similar at my house, but this definitely fills in some holes. Thanks for the link.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
Anyone see a problem with burying the barrels?  I would use a sprinkler pump to move the water back out and the overflows would be at ground level.  I was actually planning on using those 250 gallon IMC cubetainers.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
Anyone see a problem with burying the barrels?  I would use a sprinkler pump to move the water back out and the overflows would be at ground level.  I was actually planning on using those 250 gallon IMC cubetainers.
The only thing I can think of is the IBC containers typically have that steel cage around them.  Won't those rust out?

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
Good question about corossion.  The cages appear to be aluminum.  The whole thing is very light weight when empty.  I'll go out with a magnet and see what they are made of tonight.  I bet they have an empty weight listed on them also.

I also realized with this conversation that I could fit a bunch of 55 gallon barrels in my front yard bushes.  No one would see them as long as they are less than about 3 foot off the ground.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
That's a pretty cool system. I'd love to have a system like that, but due to the slope of my yard, I'd have to have a pump to get the water to the area where I'm planning my garden. A few steps into my back yard and I can see on top of the roof.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »
The IMC cages are made out of galvanized steel.  So, corossion will be an issue.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »

make sure no groundwater can leak into the containers.

Offline Dennis McClung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »

I had considered using 55 gallon barrels for rainwater storage, but I opted for an easier solution. I chose to go for a prefabbed 350 gallon water storage tanks. They are pre-plumbed for garden hose or irrigation tubing and hold almost as much as that whole row of 55 gallon barrels on a platform. It is made just for potable water, can be painted, and I picked it up local at the Honeyville Foods store. This barrel takes up much less space.  We put it in a corner of our home so that it can't be easily seen from the road.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
wow. that is a large water barrel, good job! hows the pressure when it's full?

Offline Dennis McClung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
Thanks. It is full right now from our last rain. The pressure is like a garden hose.

devildoc

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

I had considered using 55 gallon barrels for rainwater storage, but I opted for an easier solution. I chose to go for a prefabbed 350 gallon water storage tanks. They are pre-plumbed for garden hose or irrigation tubing and hold almost as much as that whole row of 55 gallon barrels on a platform. It is made just for potable water, can be painted, and I picked it up local at the Honeyville Foods store. This barrel takes up much less space.  We put it in a corner of our home so that it can't be easily seen from the road.

Where did u order this from its awesome !!