Author Topic: Recomendations on securing an interior door  (Read 4107 times)

Offline AF275

• Prepper
    • AF275 Blog
Recomendations on securing an interior door
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
I saw a thread with a similar name, but the situations are pretty different so why I started a new thread.

First off I'm not trying to make this entrance 100% being the limitations I have, I just want to make it enough of a pain to enter that the time factor could deter burglars from spending much time on it.

Here is the info:
I have an upstairs room which is at the end of the hallway, making it the deepest room in the house. This is where I do my reloading, store my firearms, etc. Due to the nature of the contents I'd like to secure the door pretty damn well. We do have a monitored alarm, and live in close proximity to neighbors on three sides, as well as an very active neighbor watch group. But I'd feel better having a 2nd line of defense for this room besides relying on its location in the house as well as the alarm.

It is a standard door frame and sized door, and it opens into the room so the hinges are not exposed. As far as reenforcing the frame I was curious if doing something along the lines as what the Door Devil anti-kit panel would offer for making the frame harder to kit through. I know the door itself is a weak point as well. Again I am just trying to create more difficulty in getting into the room then trying to keep every possibility of entrance.

I have no idea really on a good starting point for an interior door, so I figured you guys might have some great ideas/opinions.

The reloading equipment is located in the main room, and the firearms/ammo in a large closest within the room, so I would duplicate some of the reinforcement concepts onto the closet door as well.

I a safe is a future investment, but I want to also secure all my gear and equipment that won't fit into a safe.

Thanks a lot for help and ideas.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Recomendations on securing an interior door
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
Install an exterior door There more solid. Then upgrade the strike plate with a 4 screw one and install 3" wood screws so its coneccted to the frame, not the trim. Maybe up grade the doorknob/lock combo too.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
Agree with ncjeeper.  No matter what you do to secure the door, if you keep an interior door, it is not secure at all.  Interior doors tend to be hollow, so are easily kicked through.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
AF275, you may want to consider installing security door hinges, such as these using long screws through the door frame:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaZGj137LpFsCaTmVb3cEvBISgwLCQ9GthljsjQcn7raVRgts9

The pin on the left fits into the hole on the right, essentially locking the door to the frame. A deadbolt on the latch side would complete the installation.

Replacing the interior door is very good advice, but make sure it is camouflaged to look like your other interior doors. If it looks like there is something valuable behind the door, that will be a priority target.

Good luck with your project,

soupbone 

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
what's the situation with the adjoining rooms? ..... not much wall between rooms in modern construction ....... couple sheets of drywall ...... if the other rooms are open/unlocked it's a clue your gold room has treasure .......