Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Jon George

• Prepper
Tactics
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone could give me some titles for a few books that might be able to help with military tactics. I want to know how to set up a perimeter and run a patrol.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Tactics
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
the old tm army manules, sun zo, the art of war.
Army surplus look through the books real well before you buy.
Rogers rangers rules

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
FM 7 series (US ARMY INFANTRY HANDBOOK) is literally the bible by which the Army swears by.

There's a lot of other books out there on other issues, Boobytrap Manual, Mech Inf Tactics, etc. Also some on military thinking like Sun Tsu, but those are mistaken by many on thoughts for conventional war but it's actually asymmetric. Rangers Handbook is great because it covers a lot of the subjects that your trained on in RIP, including wilderness survival, knots, and land navigation.

Just do a search on Google and you can find a lot of these in PDF. Of you can go online and purchase the actual FM book through various sources (although they may be later versions and not current).
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
Try Sun Tzu the art of war free download below - in the right perspective it can be viewed on how to live life, etc - I have read a few different books - a few quite good describing how his words reflected  when the material was written. 

I did a quick google search with sun tzu art of war download and one of the first hits was

http://www.artofwarsuntzu.com/Art%20of%20War%20PDF.pdf

Brad - In Colorado

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
My memery is shot and i dont spell but, I am a fan of Sun Tzu the guy had balls.
Russians officers test on his book yearly , an he is the baises for the red book of china.
i think its writen befor the time of Crist.
 I have 2 coppys so i can find them when i want to.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
For quick reference, check out the Army's Common Tasks Manual - not sure of the number. It gives a brief overview of anything from compass work to digging a fighting position, to tearing down common weapons. All in a pocket sized foremat.

For a bit of historical reference, I recommend Mao Tse-Tung on Guerrilla Warfare. You don't have to agree with the guy's politics or actions to agree that he ran a very successful campaign in China. His way of treating the peasants should be a lesson to anyone who aspires to more than thug or warlord status.

If I were you, I would concentrate on CCD - Camoflage, Concealment and Deception, and "going Gray" - maintaining a very low profile, before I worry about ambushes, squad tactics and calling in art'y fire.

soupbone

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
GUNNER. TROOPS IN THE OPEN. RANGE 500. THREE ROUNDS HE. FIRE!

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
Perimeter security manuals are covered by the MP's.   They have some common sense stuff that not alot of people think about.  Once you have a good system.  Have a brother or someone trusted to "war game" how to break in.   Walk the permeter from the outside and look for what you can see, then assume what you cant see.  How does the lighting effect the doors and windows of the house?  What about basement windows? Any passive or active security i.e. video, animals, neighbors? 

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Problem being I can't trust the Lab - he always calls "fire for effect" when the chihuahua is "danger close"...

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
OH troll, those old NO Slack bad habbits (B and E)
If its to much trouble for me to brake in to my own stuff then a bad guy will think twice.
 walk your property and try to get as close to the house with out being seen .
Be your own bad guy first ,

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I learned alot about perimeter security acquiring company guidions from other units. But bad habits die hard and being your own bad guys first makes alot of sense.

Offline Whiskey

• Prepper
  • So tactical it hurts.
    • Whiskey's Whiteboard (youtube)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
You can get the Ranger Handbook, or the Field Leaders Guide (something like that) from online book stores. Maybe even a  local Barnes and Noble.

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
Problem being I can't trust the Lab - he always calls "fire for effect" when the chihuahua is "danger close"...

Ouch my side hurts! That killed me.

Made me think to warn, don't get Shih Tzu's Art of War, that will just have you yipping at everything moving or not and annoying the neighbors.

Sun Tzu's Art of War is much more useful.

If you have a smart phone you can download all kinds of military manuals on there for free off the Droid Market and I'm sure you can on the Iphone as well.