Author Topic: crabgrass control  (Read 2585 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
crabgrass control
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
My backyard all around my garden is overgrown with crabgrass this year, and now the seed heads are up.  Is there anything I can do to destroy some of the seeds so not as many are viable next spring?  I have been considering getting a propane torch and doing a little controlled burn.  I assume that would kill the seeds.  Any ideas?

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: crabgrass control
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
My backyard all around my garden is overgrown with crabgrass this year, and now the seed heads are up.  Is there anything I can do to destroy some of the seeds so not as many are viable next spring?  I have been considering getting a propane torch and doing a little controlled burn.  I assume that would kill the seeds.  Any ideas?

The seeds are edible.

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
Two weeks ago I did the propane torch thing.  The crab grass was totally out of control.  I burned the grass around my bed until there was ash. The crab grass was back when I looked a few days ago.  I guess the roots are too deep to really kill them with fire.  Today I ringed my beds with two layers of cardboard.  I hope this cardboard 'mulch' will keep the creepers out of my garden. 

Good luck.  I was thinking today, with sweat in my eye, that crabgrass must be the spawn of Satan.  I hope the cardboard works, because the fire sure didn't. 

Any tips from others with knowledge?   

Offline loodean

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
First, you have to understand how crabgrass grows.  Pull some up and study its roots.  You will see white roots (usually) with a node every inch or two.  Sometimes there are secondary roots at the node, sometimes not.  The majority of the nodes are dormant. No matter whether you pull it, burn it, or Round it Up, you will only kill it so far.  There is bound to be a dormant node further along.  The grass will regenerate from the first node that wasn't killed.  Killing crabgrass is a long process.  If you want to burn it, do it this way:  burn, then apply nitrogen.  This will activate the dormant nodes and bring up more grass; burn again, nitrogen again, and so on.  This applies to any method, you will have to keep at it until all dormant nodes are gone.  Yes, you can apply cardboard and mulch.  Although, you won't necessarily "kill" the nodes and any nodes beyond  the mulch will immediately activate.  Hope this helps...

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
Thanks for the hints Loodean

Offline geoffreys7

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:28:38 AM »
I swear after the Apocalypse only two things will survive, Crabgrass and Roaches!

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
Greoffreys, don't forget zombies...