Author Topic: Need help with Evac plans  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Need help with Evac plans
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
I need help with ideas for my EVAC binder I am making.

I am looking for items to include in it.
 Some things I was thinking of including are instructions on how to read forest service road markers, First aid, list of States and their Capitals and other items that might be useful. Give me all your ideas I don't care how crazy they are.

Also I am making a list of code words that will have certain meanings to include in it and need ideas. I was thinking of  assigning code words to phrases like:

Can anyone over hear this?
Danger!
Road Blocked
Switch radio to Freq....

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Need help with Evac plans
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
Just a few suggestions from me in no particular order other than how it is coming out of my melon:

• A few pages on emergency water supply.
  • A copy of the US Constitution.
  • Some information on local wild edibles.
  • I know you are a HAM, so, a list of local and some other major/backup powered statewide amatuer repeater frequencies.
  • A state map.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
Good call Baily,

I used to do PSO work in Panama and was responsible for doing alot of advance work prior to the principal arriving in country.  This involved following a checklist that was very comprehensive that I think would pertain to your project.  Some of the items included:

1. List all emercency phone numbers such as weather, emergency (other than 911), non-emergency but erganent #'s, road conditions, towing services, repair centers, etc.  List can be as comprehensive as you want.

2. List of medical facilities and their capabiltiies as they relate to your route and needs.  For example if your BO to a pretty isolated area, they may only have PAs or medics.  If a family member has diebites or asma, can the facility in my BO area take care of it?  Include pharmacies as well as veternarians as well. 

3. Maps, maps, maps.  BLM, Park Service, Forest Service, City, State, etc..... (some show back road that other won't)

4. Keeping in mind that gas stations can only last a few days, what routes will give me a better chance of hitting gas stations that are in service?

5. We always conducted route recons several times on Primary, Alternate, and Alternate to the Alternate (not practical for your book I know)

6. List of RV parks, camp grounds or other places you may want to stop at for rest and recovery or other safe haven areas.

Just a few to start of with......

Berserker Prime

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
I think you're exactly right to come up with a "code" to use with your family while transmitting on radios.  I've done the same thing with the wife.  I'm a firm believer in NOT saying stuff like "Meet me at the intersecion of...." over a radio for just anyone to hear.    We have code words for places to meet and where we might be throughout the day.  We also have code words for "Heads up, trouble might be coming." and "Get your butt home right now!"  Keep things simple that way you can use text messages on cell phones if you have that available but can't make phone calls because the towers are maxed out.  A formal Comm's Protocol is an important thing to have established.  Keep copies of it in your Evac binder.  You may meet up with someone you want to include in your convoy.

Some other things you might want to come up with codes for is "Status"  IE:  Proceding to Rendezvous point...Can't proceed...Vehicle is disabled...stuff like that.  Also, things like "Need help".  You get the picture.

As for maps, we both have hardcopy maps marked with evac routes, rendezvous points etc in our BOB's.  Both of our GPS units are programmed with this info as well.  Copies of all of this information should go into your Evac binder as well.

Some way to prove your residence could be important if you're trying to get back home.  Copies of driver's liscences, home owner's insurance, health insurance...anything you usually carry with you, but might lose.

I'm not sure if your Evac Binder is going to be separate from your Emergency Plan...mine's not.  It's the first thing I'm going to grab if I do have to evac though.  I have lists in my Emergency Plan for what needs to get packed and who does what in the event we need to evac.

Hope this helps.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »
I think you're exactly right to come up with a "code" to use with your family while transmitting on radios.  I've done the same thing with the wife.  I'm a firm believer in NOT saying stuff like "Meet me at the intersecion of...." over a radio for just anyone to hear.    We have code words for places to meet and where we might be throughout the day.  We also have code words for "Heads up, trouble might be coming." and "Get your butt home right now!"  Keep things simple that way you can use text messages on cell phones if you have that available but can't make phone calls because the towers are maxed out.  A formal Comm's Protocol is an important thing to have established.  Keep copies of it in your Evac binder.  You may meet up with someone you want to include in your convoy.

Some other things you might want to come up with codes for is "Status"  IE:  Proceding to Rendezvous point...Can't proceed...Vehicle is disabled...stuff like that.  Also, things like "Need help".  You get the picture.

As for maps, we both have hardcopy maps marked with evac routes, rendezvous points etc in our BOB's.  Both of our GPS units are programmed with this info as well.  Copies of all of this information should go into your Evac binder as well.

Some way to prove your residence could be important if you're trying to get back home.  Copies of driver's liscences, home owner's insurance, health insurance...anything you usually carry with you, but might lose.

I'm not sure if your Evac Binder is going to be separate from your Emergency Plan...mine's not.  It's the first thing I'm going to grab if I do have to evac though.  I have lists in my Emergency Plan for what needs to get packed and who does what in the event we need to evac.

Hope this helps.

+1 For all you guys....Great information keep it coming. Any way to give some more information about Emergency plans?

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »
Holy crap!  Where to start?  Mine is basically a compilation of whatever information I thought I might need in any situation.  I like to try and have a plan for everything.  I'm just like that. ;D  I play the "what if" game in my head constantly.

Also in my Emergency Plan is contact information for Services like the phone, water, electric, plumbers, HVAC, locksmith.  This just keeps all of this info in one place where I know I can find it.  Just to be able to deal with the little every day disasters....

I also have a Rotation schedule in there for things like gasoline, water, fuel oil. 

And equipment manuals for critical equipment like the generator.

Comm's protocol...

Evac specific is stuff like packing lists for Vehicular Evac or *shudder* Bugging out on foot.  Plans for who does what...IE  The wife gets the vehicle out of the garage while I move the totes upstairs.  I load the totes in the vehicle while she secures the house.  Stuff like that.

I could go on and on....

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:35:51 AM »
Bailey,

Some friends and I used to play around town late at night with our CB's.... (We called it training)

Well we found out that some people in town started listening to us and would follow us from one channel to the next so we made a 10 number code sheet for frequency changes ie. 1=5, 2=1, 3=7, 4=0, 5=9.... and so on, if they wanted to they could probably switch to hear us, but maybe it would be just a little too much of an annoyance and for them. Now we only had 40 frequencies to choose from so i think using a HAM who ever was looking for you would have a hard time.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »
As far as maps i suggust using the Gazetters (sp?) they show much greater detail and include forrest roads. I have delorme and zoomed in and printed maps for several routes to the BOL. Just having a state map will put you on the same routes as every one else. IMHO a back road is way different than just a lesser used county road. I have a "dirt road" plan. Every road to the BOL is a dirt road. You have to sneak across a few major roads but chances are you wont see many people there.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
What are you thinking, something sitting in a closet for the wife to look into when you call and say 'gotta go now!'? Something for the person in the passenger seat to use as a navigation aid? Something for each car that can be used to aid in meeting up?
Yes to all of the above?

Evac plan binder. Hrmm.... Let me grab an empty binder and see what I want to put into it.  **sighs, why is it that whatever you need is at the very BOTTOM of the stack of boxes?** Binder found, I don't think I need this 8 year old Debian computer OS documentation any more. Ooh, the binder already has tabbed pages. :^)

(listed in the order I am thinking of stuff)

A pen/pencil for making notes in the binder

Some ruled paper and blank paper for notes, maps, etc. You can copy a map out of the binder for somebody by putting a blank page over it and tracing what you see through the paper. Make shopping lists for needed stuff left at home for the next stop.

I see the first page being a list of lists. (or Table of contents to other people) ;)
List of things to grab in order of importance. ie, BOBs then defense, then food, then camping supplies, then etc... then etc... then etc..
My mom LOVED her lists when we went camping. She still makes them. They are wonderful to cross things off when you need to go places.

Maybe a grid of what to grab for specific situations/destinations on page 1, page 2 is the table of contents.

Front pocket would be for fold up maps.

back pocket, a couple of $20 bills paper clipped in or in an envelope. (hrmm, if wife-to-be is told I keep money kept in random things she may want to throw out, maybe I can prevent such trashings?)

To your list of emergency numbers, I would make sure to get the local non-emergency emergency numbers (if that makes any sense - non-emergency police, fire, etc in case 911 is slammed/down) for all the towns you will encounter.

Family and friend numbers & addresses.
Hospitals, fire halls, police stations.
Campgrounds
hodunk little off-main-street hotels that aren't likely to fill up

I wonder if I can get gasbuddy.com to give me all the gas stations on a route? That may be interesting to know. 'Is there a gas station on this next exit?' 'Where is the next gas station down this country road?'

Photocopies of important documents. (if kept in the car, how do you prevent this from being used when the car is stolen and stripped?)

A list of the broadcast radio stations along the way with maybe a map of the broadcast towers. Maybe a rank of how good the emergency alert info is on each station? http://www.fmfool.com/

List of destinations with code names and a list of strengths & weaknesses and map of local emergency services?  Ie, going to my folks. They got guns, need more food and a generator. I know I don't need to bring more then the immediate need of guns for the trip, but to bring the food and generator. (mental note, get generator so I can bring to parents if they need it - oh, good christmas gift for them next year)

The back pocket could have a CDROM of the stuff you put in the binder so if you use it, you can print out clean copies when you get to where you want to go if it has a printer. You can also have other stuff on it like bank account info, scanned/photo of birth certificat, passport, home title, insurance info, medical records, etc. too. You can encrypt the sensitive things on the CD and put the password hint on the front of the CD "bobbies first word" so you don't forget it and raondom car-thief / home bugler won't be able to guess it.

maybe a list of the 'usual' police 10-code? I know it changes from precinct to precinct, but they are all close, so pick one. Many people don't know them, but the radio hounds will, and odds are that those people are helpful.

Maybe number or code-word the list of destinations that aren't well known to all, and correctly label those ex. 'grandmas house'. The non-well known stuff should have meaningful names if code-worded. Example call the favorite restaurant 'Big Oaks' because it has some in the front of the building. The wife isn't likely to much care for 'alpha, bravo, charlie' etc. Women don't navigate that way.

My head keeps coming back to checklists. Packing lists, priority lists, shopping lists, what books to grab off of shelves, emergency driving protocols, etc.

need your local gas company phone number and account number so you can call from wherever you land and get the gas turned off. same for electric and whatever other utilities

Maybe a return home checklist? Who to call to get services turned back on. Re-entry procedures, check for burglary, vandalism, gas & water leaks, fridge spoiled, etc. Checklist on how to verify that it's ok to return home - calling home & answering machine picks up means you have phone service AND electrical service.

List of where to get more information for stuff. IE, first aid guide is in first aid kits which are located here, here and here.

A couple of envelopes with extra forever stamps in case you need to send a letter or pay a bill or something like that on the road. A quick letter to a few trusted whomever(s) saying where you are headed so family can find you. Maybe a list of a few out of state trusted friends that you know will contact your family for you?

Vehicle checklist. Check the Gas, oil, coolent, tires, brake fliud, power steering fluid, washer fluid.

DVD in back pocket of annual walk through of house talking about everything you own for insurance reasons.

lock down list for the house. shut off water, gas, electricity (and where correct valve/switch is located), close and lock windows, shut interior doors (amazing how this can affect the outcome of a fire), turn on alarm, call alarm company, put stop-mail note in mailbox (maybe such a note should be included in binder). what to do about pets, farm animals, etc.

have some pre-written instructions or contact information to leave on door, on kitchen table for emergency crews, neighbor who will look in on the place for you, etc.

List of alternative places to find resources. IE get gas/diesel in 55 gallon drums right off the boat at the port of Miami (real example). Local farmer may have water (they usually have their own deep wells). Home phone number of local gunshop owner, mom&pop grocery store, etc. Little know public access for drawing water from local lake/river

List of places NOT to go and brief explanation why.

printed out turn by turn instructions of each pre-planned route on back of pages of printed maps so 8 year old can help navigate.

list of what friends/neighbors have what 'stuff' or skills that may be of use. Chainsaws, stack of plywood for boarding up doors/windows pickup trucks, car hauling trailers, 4x4s, knows plumbing, electrical

calling tree for self, calling trees for other friends/family in case they contact you so you can spread the word for them

packet of travel documents, including recent utility bill or other proof of residency so authorities will let you back to your property

the cat sitting on my lap is looking at me like, 'don't forget about me', so pet information, rabies documentation, get travel crate, food, water, dishes, favorite toy, dirty bath towel so it has a comfort item to cuddle up with

necessary medical records, medical history,  allergies, medication information for each family member (maybe even extended family and very close friends?)  (funny how the cat idea came first, eh?)

List of usual bills and when they need to be paid with normal monthly and minimum payment amounts. with addresses and account numbers.

Online websites for bank, utilities, etc. so you can do remote banking, bill paying, etc.

List of contacts for local contractors who can fix stuff for you, electrical, plumbing, general handyman. Landscaper, concrete, roofer, general contractor, home inspector, lumber yard that does deliveries, etc.

contact info of local lawyer, attorney, tax preparer, real estate agent, banker, bondsman judge, sherrif, state reps

contact info for schools, work, coworkers, teachers, etc.

printed satellite imagery of key locations - destinations, meetup points, routes, etc. to augment the printed and foldup maps. Great for 'seeing over the hill' or on the 'other side of that fence' for emergency route planning (cutting through the corn field anybody?), shelter location, watering hole (is it immediately down stream of a large farm/factory?), firewood locating, seeing how densely populated an area is, or where the nearest farmhouse is located either to find it or avoid it.

written down username and password for encryption on thumbdrive that is in purse or keychain (NOT KEPT WITH BOOK) that has a copy of all this stuff and more such as banking information in digital form. Hey, if you get incapacitated and wife kids need at the data.

Well, enough of my hour long random brain dump...

I am seeing the focus of this as being a structured way to document what needs to be done, not how to do it. A reminder of things that are easily forgotten during a high-stress situation. You can tear out a page and hand it to somebody and say, 'do this' as they ought to know how to do everything on the list. Write the lists to the lowest common denominator - wife, hubby, kids, whatever the case may be. Contact information you can use while on the road or at your destination. lists on how to figure out if it's safe to come back.
With the fold up maps, printed route directions, printed satellite photos, contact lists, lists of stuff, lists of lists, checklists whatnot, it's going to be a pretty big binder in and of itself.

A 'basics' guide may be a separate binder from what I am thinking of an evac binder. The main evac lists binder could reference this binder. It probably shouldn't be extensive in depth, just a single page 'flier' or 'brochure' on each topic. It should be extensive in breadth.
Map reading
basic land navigation
specific maintenance instructions for the vehicles - pop the hood, take a photo point out the important bits on the photo
how to change a tire
what to look for when the vehicle wont' start
how to get a vehicle unstuck
gun safety
food safety
water safety
first aid basics
basic trouble shooting and instructions for major household things such as the furnace and water heater - how to light the pilot lights
radio operation
morse code reference
enlightening passages from the bible
fire starting guides
how to dress in layers
how to select for backpacking
a few basic edible plants that aren't easily confused with others
alternative sources for X (candles, oil for oil lamps, safe things to use a a pot/pan etc.)
food storage/road ration cookbook
basic rights - what the cops can and cant take from you
how to go about bribing your local judge/grocerystore owner/gas station manager/border patrol/etc. (??? ok, it must be getting late, somebody just slapped a tinfoil hat on my head ???)
fielddressing common critters
improvised trapping on common critters.
How to use and alternate uses of each item in BOB, vehicle, various totes, etc. (wife/kid may not realize that fire can be started with hand-sanitizer or cotton ball with Vaseline)

Hrmm... maybe Jack would create a WIKI where we could compile such a beast? Does one already exist? I can see each topic having a 1 page basics version, a 2-4 page intermediate version and an exhaustive treatise on each topic. With automatic PDF creation built into the WIKI, and maybe somehow have ready-to-print booklets on various topics so we don't have to print each page individually, we can just download these WIKI generated binder content PDF sets. download once, click print, and 120000 pages later, we got our 23 four inch 3 ring survival binders ready.

OK, must stop now, I am starting to wander in my ramblings.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
creuzem's off his med's again!!! ;D

Great list though.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
Off my meds? pah. I don't need no stinkin' meds. LOL  ;D I suppose, when I get onto one of my long-winded posts, I tend to blather on and on. I blame boredom!

I was making and eating supper, missing my lady who is 1700 miles away. Come the end of March, probably won't be near as much babbling out of me. I put the list together thinking of what she would need. New to the area. Not really exposed to the 'survivalist thing', but ok with me being kinda crazy like this. She thinks I am kinda handy to have around, so I think it's all ok with her.

I am going up to my folks tonight for the weekend, so I am kinda running a dry run on this list.

So a few more things...

Clothes lists. Need a list of seasonal clothing. Long johns, rain gear, extra socks, etc.

Garden. If needed it may be a good idea to put the sprinkler on for while your packing. Just don't forget to turn it off - Add that to the list too.

Camera/camcorder. You gotta document your (mis)adventure and report back here!

CD with Select shows

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
Maybe somebody could help me understand all of this a little better by telling me WHAT YOU ARE RUNNING FROM? Volcano, and flood are the only things that come to mind that I may evac for. Think about it WHY WHY WHY leave where you should already have all of your provisions and many tools  to aid in survival. Like tractor, Generator, wood supply for heat and cooking, shelter etc.You are far better off to prepare to be a rescuer rather than a runner. It should work similar to the rings of ( for lack of better description) an earth quake. You take care of your house/family then the neighbors and work together with them to expand out to the next layer. as you get each layer taken care of the "help team" gets bigger.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 01:51:08 AM »
Don't forget Dirty bomb's, Pandemic flu, Forest fires. I wouldn't want to run and my first plan is to bug in, but if I am going I want it organized. Oh by the way your my Bug out location....

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 03:57:19 AM »
I read once about a LP tanker that crashed.  Everyone in the area was evac'ed...ON FOOT!!!!  Sam thing would apply for a natural gas pipeline leak.  It could be a railroad derailment as well. Or something as simple as a leaking rail car that was carrying some really nasty chemicals.  That's happened as well.  There are probably hundreds of reasons you'd HAVE to leave your home.

Evac'ing the bunker is never anyone's first line of defense.  But, sometimes it happens.  Don't think it has to be something as dramatic as a volcano to force you out of your home.  It could very well be something completely mundane.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
Well I was able to learn a lot from the BOMB Techs who were buying the disposal trailers I was building and as for BIO dirty bombs there is very little explosion like 1-2 pounds so it just kind of goes poof and puts the baddies in the air, any more than that and it kills the bio agents. I also learned that based on history and their research the chance of bio is very minimal. Not that it can't happen but very low risk (according to the bomb techs). Bailey your home location makes it pretty low risk for bio. Not bragging but you know where I am and mine is even lower risk . Maybe that is part of why ya chose me as bug out !! OK well like I said "The things that come to mind" Well forest fire didn't come to mind mostly since my risk is rather low out here in this dang swamp land.
TO ALL   I am not against any of your plans or ideas just trying to get a better understanding. Who knows I may decide I need to prepare some of this stuff myself.
MOST IMPORTANT  WHAT YOU PRACTICE is what you will do. The less paper work you have to worry about toting around the better off you are. Think about schools and many work places they have drills so if/when it happens for real it will be more automatic.
SULLY didn't do a perfect water ditch in the Hudson by luck.  He did it because he trained for it. Well you can do the same thing. Make a practice of driving your evac routes so you know changes to the roads etc. Practice evacing yer home what to turn off what to secure ect.  The more you can have in your head and do by just reacting rather than having to stop and think the better off you will be. What is yer head can't be lost or destroyed unless you are and then will it really matter.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
BTW Bailey yes you can bug at my place but again we need to practice.  So ya should make a couple of "DRY RUNS" so we can make sure ya still know how to get here. lol   Also You do realise that I am sitting on the biggest (potential) bomb in the US. Yes Check out the natural gas storage field under me.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )