Author Topic: Defending your home  (Read 17990 times)

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Defending your home
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
<SNIP SNIP>
  • Window alarms - they make sonic alarms that go off if the glass on your windows is shattered
<SNIP SNIP>

These are great.  I have one that covers my entire house.  It is pro installed downstairs in the "great room" and if you drop a glass upstairs it will go off.  It listens for the sound of glass breaking and goes off.  I was originally going to install these near all of my exterior doors, since they are mostly "pretty glass" (not my choice, I bought the house, didn't build it), but it turns out one is enough.  Most crooks that see burglar alarm signs will leave you alone.  If they know you just have door and window switches they will break out your window glass and steal everything without setting the alarm off.  So, you need switches, glass break, and motion to cover your bases.  If you install it yourself it isn't too cost prohibitive.

Offline crnaman

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 03:52:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for the good advice!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
A neighbor in my area recently built an interesting house. It's a two-story cube.

The bottom floor has only one opening: the steel rollup door to his garage.

He drives up, the door goes up. he drives in, the door goes down.

That's all you ever see.

His yard is completely open: not a bush or tree anywhere. Just flat grass.

The second story looks like an ordinary CB house--but there are no balconies or porches. Just sheer wall and a few well-curtained windows.

I'd say the guy lives alone and doesn't throw a lot of parties.

A burglar would bypass his place without missing a step: it offers no opportunities.

Anybody crashing his house would pretty much have to go in through the garage door, and I suspect that would be a very unhealthy venture.

It's a cool setup for a natural-born recluse with no family, but I wouldn't really care to live there myself.

Hmmm--I just realized: his well is inside his house. We don't have city water, and he doesn't have an outdoor water tank.

Slick.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:35 PM »
A neighbor in my area recently built an interesting house. It's a two-story cube.

have any covert pictures to post?

devildoc

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 01:22:52 AM »
If you are a preper why would you advertise yourself and location on google maps like so many on here.

EDITED BY MODERATOR: triple-posting not allowed.  See GOOGLE MAPS thread for complete post.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:50:12 AM by Mr. Bill »

endurance

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
OPSEC = Operational Security

If you are a preper why would you advertise yourself and location on google maps like so many on here.
Why would you believe for a second I haven't created my entire google profile specifically to throw people off?  Better to toss out a thousand different pieces of misinformation than let the few sources that leak out just because you exist in the world be spot on.