Author Topic: Vacation Check Of Preps  (Read 1284 times)

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
Vacation Check Of Preps
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
Had a short vacation this past week.  We took a quick trip down to Ft. Benning to pick up my son after basic.

One thing that I like to do is to have the BOB as my bag for vacations - same basic load-out, don'tcha know :P.  We have not quite gotten to the point of having the bags packed all the time (hopefully soon), but I like to keep picking at it.

Well, another trip and here are the things that I forgot:
- not enough dirty laundry bags - I need to pack at least one of those plastic, handle, shopping bags for each day
- more zipper bags - we had lunch meat and bread, but forgot to bring bags for the leftovers
- make sure that the picnic kit tags along - we did not have plates, cups or napkins ($3 for ten plates is a bit excessive, even for a convenience store) - our picnic kit has all that stuff and more
- a notebook (steno-sized) and pens/pencils - motels do not give notepads any more (at least ours did not) and we needed paper for notes about the trip

What I did well:
- had an extra phone charger in my toiletry kit - always comes in handy
- also had about a dozen rechargeable AA cells with charger (charged the cells before we left) - 12 may be overkill, but...
- had enough clothes, toiletries and snacks/lunch food (we ate at the motels for breakfasts, lunches on the road and fast food for dinners)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Re: Vacation Check Of Preps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
After taking three small children to OH for 3 days last week, I know I need either more food or more money in my BOB. Probably just more money because there is no way I could haul around the amount of food they ate! Also need more little toys/games to keep them distracted. My oldest fell into a duck pond on a nature trail so I was soooooo glad we had extra clothes and shoes in the car!

endurance

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:09:04 AM »
The list of proper travel kits can be endless.  My kit grows after nearly every trip as I add items I want or think might be handy.  It all started when I was on my first honeymoon in Mexico and an ashtray fell on the floor and shattered, cutting my wife's toe.  No bandaids or neosporin.  Fixed...  Then it was a cork screw to open the bottle of wine.  Check. 

This thread has a lot of great suggestions.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
The list of proper travel kits can be endless.  My kit grows after nearly every trip as I add items I want or think might be handy.  It all started when I was on my first honeymoon in Mexico and an ashtray fell on the floor and shattered, cutting my wife's toe.  No bandaids or neosporin.  Fixed...  Then it was a cork screw to open the bottle of wine.  Check. 
Ouch, well nothing like necessity to spawn invention, huh :D  Yeah, I keep finding new things to add to my packing as well.

This thread has a lot of great suggestions.
That is a pretty good thread, I saw it a few days ago.  I still have not been able to view the video (can't view videos here at work), but the stuff (including your photos) that was added in the comments was pretty good.