Author Topic: Real story of why you should have BOB's in your car...  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
Real story of why you should have BOB's in your car...
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »
I live in a townhome complex, and last week there was a massive lightning storm around midnight.  The lightning struck a big tree that was in front of the building next to our building.  Part of the tree fell on the power line going from the pole to the townhome unit.  There was electrical arcing going on, the tree started on fire a bit (it didn't start burning full-on though) and the fire department told the family that was outside that they should not go back in their house at all, not even to grab some things.

This happened in the middle of the night, and the family told me that they drove with their kids around town for a couple hours looking for a motel that was vacant (there was a convention in town).  Maybe they ran in to get their car keys (I didn't think to ask), but they didn't go in and get clothes.  So they had no clothes for their kids, no clothes for themselves, no flashlight, etc, etc.  Had this been in the winter they probably would have needed coats as well.

I mentioned to them that my wife and I keep a 72-hour kit in our trunks just in case things like that happen.  This was a relatively benign emergency situation, but having a change of clothes, some cash, and a few other supplies that people typically keep in a BOB would have helped them out.

endurance

Re: Real story of why you should have BOB's in your car...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »
Yep, and it's worth keeping a spare key somewhere on the car, too.  You may not always get the chance to grab your keys on the way out the door/window. 

Offline Agmundr

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
An excellent example, and some good points made.  I generally keep my spare key in a separate pocket from my main key ring.  This also reminds me that I really need to put some clothes in my bag.

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »
Yep, and it's worth keeping a spare key somewhere on the car, too.  You may not always get the chance to grab your keys on the way out the door/window.

I don't trust those magnetic key lockers so I use a HD zip tie now.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:16:14 AM »
Agreed on the magnetic holders.

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
Freshman Preppy +1 on the zip tie idea.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »
i had one, it fell off and lost the key.

endurance

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
Freshman Preppy +1 on the zip tie idea.
I do, too.  Seems better than the piece of bailing wire and duct tape I'm using now. ::)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:21 AM »
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  what do you need a magnetic thing of zip tie for?

endurance

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.  what do you need a magnetic thing of zip tie for?
Ziptying a key somewhere on the underside of your car.  The magnetic key holders aren't reliable.  They tend to fall off. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
is that a house key?  a car key?  isn't that a little unsafe if it is common enough to zip a car key under the vehicle somewhere (I assume it is under the vehicle?  where do you do this?  this is brand new to me, this idea.  I am trying to decide if I like it or not

endurance

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
is that a house key?  a car key?  isn't that a little unsafe if it is common enough to zip a car key under the vehicle somewhere (I assume it is under the vehicle?  where do you do this?  this is brand new to me, this idea.  I am trying to decide if I like it or not
A spare car key inside a frame rail or bumper.  I used to duct tape it to the back of the front license plate until I drove into a snow bank and nearly tore off my front plate.  That made me rethink that location.  Having a key on the car is great if you ever lock yourself out of your car, too.  I also have a house key hidden in the car.  Of course my vehicle is not registered to my home address, so I don't have to worry about theives as much, but if my car was broken into or stolen, I'd probably change my home door locks anyway just to be on the safe side.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »

The idea here is to have a key available, in case you are (in the above example) forced out of the local area without being able to get to your keys, or to have one in case you lose your primary keys while out.

What you want to do is to find a place where the key will be available, but still be difficult for others to find.  Some places that I have seen/heard of, are on the frame, inside the bumper (maybe on the bumper mount), on the engine mount, etc.  You would probably want to avoid the wheel well (to easy to look there and find keys), the tail pipe (gets too hot, may melt the tie-wrap) or outside the body (too visible).

This is a pretty good idea, but the original idea of having a BOB with some clothes, a toiletry kit, some food and a bit of cash (enough for a night or two at a motel) is a great idea.  +1, Amerigo, for (again) mentioning the idea, and for mentioning it to your neighbors; hopefully, they take it to heart.

Offline Call

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Canadian = envy my health care, pity my gun rights
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
I'm adding "get spare house key for car kit" to my to-do list right now...

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
Amerigo, great post. +1 Had it been an even bigger event they would have appreciated having some things in their car or B.O.B. I keep one in my big truck just in case. Never know when you might have to walk home. ;D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
Word to the wise:
If you do decide to hide a spare key to your vehicles under carriage, make sure its not visible. Dont want the convicted felon changing your oil at the quickie lube to see it while he is underneath your vehicle. He or his friends may steal your vehicle later since they now have a key and your address from the form you filled out.
On another note we are seeing a rash of catalytic converters being cut from parked vehicles. Dont want the would be thief crawling under your vehicle ready to cut out your cat, and then see your spare key and grab it and just drive off with your vehilce instead.

endurance

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
Word to the wise:
If you do decide to hide a spare key to your vehicles under carriage, make sure its not visible. Dont want the convicted felon changing your oil at the quickie lube to see it while he is underneath your vehicle. He or his friends may steal your vehicle later since they now have a key and your address from the form you filled out.
On another note we are seeing a rash of catalytic converters being cut from parked vehicles. Dont want the would be thief crawling under your vehicle ready to cut out your cat, and then see your spare key and grab it and just drive off with your vehilce instead.
Agreed.  There's a lot of good hiding spaces down there that are still accessible without putting the car up on a lift, so spend a little time placing your key.  Also, I'd never suggest both the house key and the car key on the outside of the car.  The house key should be somewhere they're just not going to find it inside the car.  Again, there's plenty of good options, especially if you start looking at putting it behind a piece of trim that requires a screwdriver to remove (just make sure you have a screwdriver in your car, too).

On an additional note, let's say this scenario does unfold; you make it out the window barely able to get your spouse, kids and pets into the car before the house is totally engulfed.  Now what?  Have you made contingencies that would allow you to go to work by the end of that week (work clothes, a place to shower, etc.)?  Do you have enough cash, a credit/debit card, and identification? Where are you going to be staying that week (hotel, friends, family, BOL)?  Not everything has to be in the car.  Ever since I had a lunchtime spill on my clothes at work, I've kept a clean change of clothes at work.  I keep spare shoes at work as part of my get home kit.  It's a good idea to keep a photocopy of the front and back of everything in your wallet in a locked drawer at work just in case you lose it (the back of your credit and debit cards will have the 800 number to customer service).  I also keep some preps at a couple friends houses, primarily because if I didn't, they'd be flat on their asses in an emergency, secondarily, because I don't have enough room, but also because of situations like this.  Do you have a leash for your dogs in the car?  Anything you have a spare of, consider if it's something worth storing elsewhere.  When a disaster like this happens, each item is one less thing you have to buy and put another strain on your already damaged financial resources.