Author Topic: Filling up your 55 gallon water barrel...  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
Filling up your 55 gallon water barrel...
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
Our 55 gallon barrel is back in our storage room, and I am wondering the best way to fill it up.  Do you think you need to buy a special hose (or a new hose) to fill these up?  (I.e., attach hose to kitchen sink).  We actually don't even own a hose (never owned a home yet), but we could borrow one from a neighbor.  We will obviously be adding bleach to the water, so maybe a hose that has been sitting outside for a long time won't matter.

Any thoughts or advice?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Filling up your 55 gallon water barrel...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
There was a little hubub not too long ago about some garden hoses containing lead and I bought my last garden hoses  at the local Lowes store that were labeled "lead free" or "lead safe" and microbial resistant, so I wouldn't grab any hose from the neighbors unless you knew for sure what the specs are.

You could also buy a cheap water container or a water cooler jug at Walmart for around $7.00 and fill the 55 gallon barrel a little at a time.

Adding the bleach is a good idea in any case and I would make sure to do that on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:30:05 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
"They" say you're supposed to use a food-grade hose to avoid lead IIRC, though that seems like the least of my worries if I'm using our emergency barrels.  And I apparently survived drinking from a garden hose during my youth.  But I must be a drone as I bought a special hose anyway.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
I drank out of many a garden hose in my youth as well. I'm fine... *twitch* *twitch*  :o

Offline Donnie

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
If you have to buy one anyways, wally world has white hoses for filling camper water tanks in the rv section. Not much higher than a regular hose.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
I would say if you run the hose until the water turns cold you will probably be ok.  The big problem with water in non-food grade containers is when it sits long enough to absorb chemicals from the container.  If you are really worried, go to Wal-Mart or any of the big box stores like it, or a RV supply and buy one of the white, drinking water hoses for campers.  They are food grade.

The bigger worry is whether or not your barrel is food grade.  Then again, I'm sure you already knew that.

For the record, you did good with the water storage.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
 If it's near your laundry room, the water hookup for the washing machine is the same as one for a garden hose. Just turn off the valve above then hose, disconnect the cold water hose to the washer, and connect your garden hose.

I filled our first one with buckets. I cut the bottom off of a well washed milk jug and used it as a funnel.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
If you need a cheaper hose than a garden hose, you can buy a piece of clear tubing from any big box lumber store and a faucet adapter.  These are not as tough as garden hose, but you can get 100 feet for the price of a short garden hose.  I bought a roll of 3/8" tubing over 10 years ago that I am still finding uses for.

My only problem I've ever had with garden hose is taste.  If they sit with water in them, they develop a garden hose taste that no amount of flushing seems to get rid of.  That being said, I filled my barrels with a garden hose   :P

If you want to run a "hose" semi-permanently look into the guest fitting hoses.  It is a small colored hard plastic like tubing that comes in sizes up to about 3/8 inch.  The tubing is cheap, it is rated for 100's of PSI, and it has push and play fittings.  I've had this in my reverse osmosis / deionizer system for 5+ years with no issues.  This RO/DI system works every day and it takes alot of abuse from all the on/off pressure cycles it sees.

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
The bigger worry is whether or not your barrel is food grade.

The barrel is food-grade - it's one specifically designed for drinking water storage.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »
interesting you should mention this topic .......

I have plans to fill a couple of bathtub Water Bobs and inflatable kid pools for extra water storage ....... location would be upstairs ...... a hard and long hose run from one of my regular hose barbs ........

Checking a couple days ago into cutting in a hose barb into my master bathroom plumbing .......

Every minute could make a difference between success and failure and alive or dead .......