Author Topic: Duct tape storage...  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
Duct tape storage...
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
I started thinking today about the plethora of things you could do in an emergency or SHTF scenario if you had an ample supply of duct tape.  So I thought to myself, "Amerigo, you should go out tomorrow and buy a huge box full of duct tape and tuck it away in the storage room."  Then I thought about shelf-life.

I remember going out to Dad's garage and finding old spools of duct tape, only to start to use it and have the outside kind of flake off and be all gummy.  But that would have been stored in extreme heat and cold as the seasons changed.

I found this on 3M's website:  3M Performance Plus Duct Tapes 8979 and 8979N can be used up to 12 months after the date of manufacture when stored under normal conditions of 60° to 80°F (16° to 27°C) and 40 to 60% R.H. in the original carton. The month and year of manufacture is stamped inside the core of each roll.

I can't imagine that a roll of duct tape would really only be "good" for 1 year.  Do you think they are just saying this to avoid customer-service issues?  I wonder if you vacuum sealed the duct tape, or put it in an ammo can with silica gel or something if you could get it to last 10 years or so?

Any thoughts on this?  I'd love to add tons of duct tape to my preps, but I don't even go through one roll of duct tape a year, so I'd probably never use what I bought, but if an emergency happened, I'd prefer to have a lot more than one roll on hand.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Duct tape storage...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »
I believe it's the heat that kills it.  If it stored cool and dry it will last for many years.  I found a 1/2 roll in my old camping bag that was buried in the back of the storage room (Same place I found those 10 year old batteries).   It was a little bit "Gooey" but worked fine.   I don't' think the adhesive was as strong as it was originally but we used it on part of my sons Halloween costume and it still worked.

I had another roll up on top of the dryer (Its stacked on top of the washer and I hadn't noticed it up there), that one was mushy but still operational after 8 months of heat.  So 8 months in the heat made it almost identical to 8 years in a canvas bag in a cool dark area (near the concrete foundation/retaining wall).

I wonder if putting it in a ziploc bag with some desiccants and/or o2 absorbers would help it live longer if stored in a cool dry place?

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
no dessicant ...... it will dry out the glue also ...... the glue off gases and your zip lock will probably just balloon ...... to get the longest longevity the best storage would be freezing ...... wouldn't hurt the tape material and the glue should be inert ....

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »
depends on the quality too, I like the Nashua brand duct tape we use it at work, the Black stuff is the best as it is UV rated, but I have had rolls break down that were sitting in my work truck, but that was 5-7 year old tape.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:52:57 AM »
if you can find it ..... "gaffers tape" is the best ....... it's like twice as strong and holds like a mizer holding a nickel