Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 342949 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:12 AM »
I would like to expand on this, whether the personnal meds be included in the FirstAid kit or in a seprate place in the BOB

endurance

« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:16 AM »
I keep one of those stainless steel keyfob pill bottles filled with three days worth of my meed in my GHB. I get my prescriptions filled at a national chain, so could potentially refill anywhere.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
We're lucky.  Neither my wife nor I need prescription "maintenance" meds. 

However, I might suggest that, for those who need such things, keeping them in a crush-proof container on  their person would be the way to go.  This way, if you have to dump the back for the sake of speed or someone steals it, you have at least a short-term solution.

The Professor

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
The Professor makes a really good point. If I were on any kind of prescriptions necessary for me to stay alive I'd think about a fanny pack or some kind of setup on my belt or pants where I'd always keep them on me. Maybe even one of those packs jewelers wear that's hidden under your clothing. Like he said if you lose your pack for any reason you'd have them with you.  It would also make them easier to rotate.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:32:00 AM by Badhog »

Offline mech7.62

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »
My EDC GOOD bag has to go through multiple security checks so I've found that minimal works best for me. Snacks, fluid, para cord, and a marine radio because I work on the coast.

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
This weekend I packed to go camping for one night and one day with my 11 year old son.  It took two hours to pack -- for a trip of about 22 hours.  Sure, we hadn't camped much or regularly, I wanted to forget nothing, and I didn't want to spend any money, but two things struck me hard.  1)  Thinking through what we needed/wanted for such a brief time was HARD.  2) If I didn't have the budget, it would have been easy, as we would have stopped along the way after thinking of something and just bought it.  So, I'm reconfiguring my BOB as follows.

If even a mini SHTF on a personal level, I'd rather buy what I need when I know I need it that try and guess ahead of time.  I'll save the money or segregate the credit card and spend/use it to buy the things I know I need in that particular situation.  YES, YES, I know the assumption here is that such things will be available, but the most likely local or personal catastrophes won't affect the regional supply chain.  Sure, I'll have a BOB, but the key thing in it will be a credit card and/or cash.

But it won't be the only thing in it.  MY focus won't be on things needed to survive three days, just the first few hours to get out of the affected area.  The classics of flashlight, knife, CCW, water, and powerbars, but also a few morale and information items to maintain a sense of normalcy and control for all involved so we keep our heads in the short-term crisis. 

All this is aimed at a more common set of problems, not a regional catastrophe like a hurricane, blizzard, floods, etc, for which bugging in might be a better solution, or more time to prepare will be available.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »
You taking so long for packing reminds me of me in my school/college days.
You need a checklist (maybe sorted in groups of function) and yuo need to keep yuor backpack stuffed and ready.
After all backpacking gear and BOB have many commonalities

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
Bob3, having been in a disaster that hit with only 24 hours notice I would strongly advice against that. If something is going down shopping should be the last thing on your list.

Offline sbarber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #428 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
Bob 3
I can see why that is route the you are choosing for your BOB or short term emergency kit but I hope it isn't the tactic that you take for all of your preparedness it seems to me that segregating money and credit cards is an extremely short sighted thing to do. I think that it only puts you one notch abovee the rest of the unprepared citizenry and that notch being because of a slight amount of fore thought. I think that preparing for personal emergency should also include things like being stuck on the side of the road for a day or so in which case a credit card wouldn't help so much or many other things where a credit card and some cash wouldn't help you very much. 

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #429 on: January 24, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
     I agree with Bob3 on having some familiar comfort items, for the psychological boost they may provide. One important thing for me is a watch. I have an older Casio G-Shock in my bag. It's run by a battery, but it's a ten year lithium. Think how dependent we are on knowing what time it is or how much time has past. Even a conformation of the day and date might help. And it is possible to tell directions on a sunny day using a digital watch if you know the trick.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #430 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
I am concerned about the storage of medications in my BOB, which is in my trunk. I live in Kansas, and it gets hot. I read an article in the science section of the NYT that some medications are rendered ineffective just a few HOURS in the hot trunk of a car. (The story began with the author recounting how he made a five hour trip to discover on arriving that his son's prescription allergy meds were no longer effective.) Does anyone know of any additional info on this? Google didn't yield much. I currently rotate the OTC meds in my FAK every few months.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #431 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »
I think this is true Medicineball.  If I were you, I'd make a much smaller bag for your meds and maybe add foodstuffs to it. maybe a MOLLE pouch that can buckle on to your large bag.  Take the small pouch with you when you go inside. Depending on the meds, you may want them close anyway.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
I am concerned about the storage of medications in my BOB, which is in my trunk. I live in Kansas, and it gets hot. I read an article in the science section of the NYT that some medications are rendered ineffective just a few HOURS in the hot trunk of a car. (The story began with the author recounting how he made a five hour trip to discover on arriving that his son's prescription allergy meds were no longer effective.) Does anyone know of any additional info on this? Google didn't yield much. I currently rotate the OTC meds in my FAK every few months.

Were it me, I would have a small go-kit solely of meds that I need.  I'd keep one at my home and at my work.  That way, if a situation DOES come up, I have a small bag that I can grab and throw in my kit.

Not knowing what types of meds you need, this may or may not be applicable.  But, perhaps not walking out the door without two or three days of meds in your pocket may be possible, as well.

The Professor

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #433 on: May 09, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

It would be enlightening to hear precisely which "prescription allergy meds" were rendered ineffective in the article you read.

Unable to find it myself at the moment, my guess is that it was an EpiPen, since antihistamines wouldn't be definitive about actual drug ineffectiveness vs. the allergic reaction simply occurring too quickly/severely for the antihistamine to work properly. Whereas it's easy to spot when an EpiPen is ineffective - the medication discolors. And yes, they're very heat-sensitive. Then again, their use is designed for accessibility within seconds, which means they shouldn't end up in any more extreme temperatures than the average person is comfortable with. This medication wouldn't belong in the trunk - it belongs on or near the person who might need it. At all times.

Any concerns about specific meds should be brought to your pharmacist. Those folks are a wealth of info on drugs, and I find they're often very eager to help and share what they know. I recently peppered my pharmacist with a plethora of questions about the safety of my expired prescription drugs and came away from the conversation satisfied that I could make fully informed decisions about them.

Generally, I'd suggest that most meds within expiration may be assumed effective even if stored in a hot car. At worst, marginally less effective. But that's totally a layperson's opinion and you should take it with a shake of salt. ;)

To get more on topic, I keep a stash of my meds both in the car kit and as EDC, though EpiPens are only in the latter due to the heat issue (on-body would be even better...working on it). The car kit is more like back-up/addendum to what I always have with me, in case my purse goes poof or I'm surprised by an extended stay somewhere. I swap out with expiration. OTC meds I'd use are approached the same way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:23:58 PM by Dainty »

Offline sbarber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #434 on: May 19, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
I also keep a stepic pen in my bob and edc. It is a stick of aluminum sulfate in a plastic tube. It is meant for sealing shaving knicks. It also works on all manner of small cuts. It is vasoconstrictor and Antihemorrhagic which stop bleeding fast. I have only used it on small cuts and scratches. It works well! I like it because it weighs less then the amount of bandaids need to stop the all the bleeding it can stop. Little cuts are the ones that will kill you if not taken care in a bug out situation.

endurance

« Reply #435 on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »
I also keep a stepic pen in my bob and edc. It is a stick of aluminum sulfate in a plastic tube. It is meant for sealing shaving knicks. It also works on all manner of small cuts. It is vasoconstrictor and Antihemorrhagic which stop bleeding fast. I have only used it on small cuts and scratches. It works well! I like it because it weighs less then the amount of bandaids need to stop the all the bleeding it can stop. Little cuts are the ones that will kill you if not taken care in a bug out situation.
I'm not sure about this use in a SHTF.  In general, bleeding helps flush dirt and debris out of a wound and reduces the chance of infection.  Without having an environment where you can thoroughly clean the area of a cut with soap and water, I might be hesitant to stop bleeding too quickly.  An alternative that actually seals small cuts might be something like New Skin.  I use this stuff on papercuts at the office all the time and it works well on the little stuff.  Of course, I wash my hands before using it.  I'd be just as concerned about sealing in germs if I couldn't clean the wound.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
For anyone who's interested, I posted an update to my BOB on the "Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bag" thread.

It turns out my original posting was done about 5 years ago, so I thought it might be interesting to update it.

Here's the direct link to the updated kit:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.msg564381#msg564381

The Professor

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
     I just received delivery of a Solostove and two of their brass alcohol burners. I was looking for something other than fuel tablets and a "wing" burner for my kit. An incentive was that they offered 10% off and free shipping. The Solostove is a genius design, compact, lightweight and beautifully crafted out of stainless steel. It will burn any "found" woodland materials in a gasifier fashion. The alcohol burners are solid brass and similar to Trangia burners. They seal securely with a gasketed cover and have a combination snuffer/flame regulator. The burner is sized to work with the stove or could be used in other "hobo" stove designs. They are almost too nice to use.
     The stove produces little smoke and the alcohol burner is great for a more covert situation. I carry a 32oz. nalgene bottle of 190 proof vodka as fuel, antiseptic and "snake bite tonic". I've combined the Solostove with the Stanley cookset and stainless cup. The fuel bottle fits in the Stanley set with an aluminum windsceen that I made. The alcohol burner fits in the stove.
     By the way, a good way to make "roll-up" windscreens for small stoves is to get a roll of aluminum flashing material from a Home Depot or Menards type building supply. You can cut it with scissors and by making interlocking tabs, it will form a cylinder when assembled, to fit over your stove. I used a paperpunch to make air vents around the bottom edge. It rolls up to fit inside my cookset. The second burner is for my wifes kit, with a homemade potstand and the same cookset combination.
     I have no connection with the Solostove folks, I'm just a satisfied customer and wanted to pass along my recommendation.

Offline signalsurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2014, 03:21:24 AM »
I think there are 7 basic types of gear you must have in your Bug Out Bag.

Water, food, clothing, shelter, weapons, first aid kit and basic gears.

Regarding First Aid Kit it should be included in bug out bag. Besides the bug out bags are designed according to the different conditions such as Urban Survival Kit Deluxe, Disaster Preparedness Kit and 72 Hour Emergency Survival Bug Out Bag. All theses kits are made to handle the conditions carefully.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #439 on: November 19, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
My bug out bag nowadays is also my EDC bag, my bedside table, my desk, my kitchen, and my sock drawer. The situation my bag is prepared for? My daily life! 
What I carry, in no particular order:
Phone chargers (including wall charger, car charger, and battery powered backup charger)
iHome speaker for my phone
Dental hygiene stuff
Mess kit (MSR Seagull pot, cheap tin cup and plate from a crappy Coleman mess kit, spoon and fork. These are the only dishes I personally own.)
Esbit stove (with plenty of fuel)
Roughly a couple days worth of food in freeze dried meals and snacks 
130 lumen headlamp (I use this literally all the time)
100 lumen headlamp (backup/share with coworker)
Flashlight
Batteries for everything
First aid kit
Glasses cleaning kit
Tea and stuff
Pocket bible
Pocket notebook
Winter clothes (wool socks, thermal underwear, gloves, face mask, etc)
Survival gear: matches, candles, emergency blanket, water purification tablets, stout little garden trowel with saw side, light sticks)
2 liter Camelbak

I can take my pack hiking with *most* of this crap in it and take on the local 2800 ft elevation gain 4 mile hike pretty easily.
I also have a couple external pouches I can add with more food and preps to turn it into a 72 hour kit.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #440 on: November 19, 2014, 01:01:17 AM »
good and simple
but not even a poncho?

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #441 on: November 19, 2014, 01:08:46 AM »
I have a poncho-rain jacket thing rolled up strapped to the outside that I totally forgot about lol. I normally keep a spare light jacket/flannel shirt there too.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #442 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:19 AM »
BOB  =  Break Our Backs

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #443 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
BOB  =  Break Our Backs

Not if you do it right...
Most people overpack. Even when they had wagons.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0H7OAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=oregon+trail+littered+with+household&source=bl&ots=-F02bC9GGY&sig=AsGIz0ajV_i8tWhldcntqAsrZwI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CcNsVMODCJOdygS52IDIDw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=oregon%20trail%20littered%20with%20household&f=false

Z I think is delusional. His pack weighs a lot, I am guessing 90 pounds? I am sure if we had to BO, he would be dropping a bunch out of his. He doesn't hike, he is getting a beer belly. He has a desk job, except for working on the farm on weekends. But it is his pack, he can deal with it.

My goal today is to (clean my truck) bring all the BOB's in from their various places (trucks, house etc), go through them and reweigh them. I like mine around 40 pounds, as I might have to end up carrying SP too. I try to do this quarterly, but I think I am behind 4 months on them. Need to change up SP's clothing, switch out/around some upgraded gear, put new thermal touques into the BOBs. Even SP has her own BOB, it is around 5 pounds.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #444 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
Brandi,my dog (avatar) has a vest that carries about 12 pounds of 'her' gear and she likes to show it off to the neighbor dogs.
She carries her own water bottle and milk bones...started as a joke,but could come in handy.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #445 on: November 19, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Brandi,my dog (avatar) has a vest that carries about 12 pounds of 'her' gear and she likes to show it off to the neighbor dogs.
She carries her own water bottle and milk bones...started as a joke,but could come in handy.

I made all my animals carry their own gear. Up to 20-25% of their weight. Which was 32# for my last dog. Make sure to put all the gear inside waterproof bags in their packs if they are water loving animals.

Cedar

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »

Bought this from Amazon for my bug-out bag.  Got it yesterday.  Compact, light-weight, bright light.

price is normally 19.99.  I got with a discount code for 9.99.  But the deal has expired.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWPGF7Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Fusilier

• Prepper
« Reply #447 on: February 05, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
There a gazillion threads, books, online videos covering Bug Out Bags or BOBs. I’m starting posting this for a couple of reasons: 1. Some of my ideals might just be helpful or at least interesting to someone; and 2. If I post my intentions and progress, I’ll feel compelled to complete the project.

I have two sons, aged 15 and 18. I figure I can put together workable BOBs for the three of us. Perhaps once I get this all done I can begin the long and arduous process of bringing my wife onside. So first off, my plan is to make three basically identical BOBs. Once I get the basic kits completed, the boys can then tweak them to their hearts content. Or more likely, completely ignore them until the day they move out of the house.

First off, I decided to collect all the BOB’s contents AND THEN figure out what bag they’ll go into. I figure a lot of people start with the bag because they figure that’s where to start. I wholeheartedly disagree as it is not the bag you’re going to need in an emergency, it’s the stuff inside.

So in the corner of my den I currently have three brand new food grade 5 Gal buckets (once the BOBs are complete, the buckets will get cleaned and repurposed for food storage) with brand new Gamma-Seal lids (I love those things). As I put together another BOB item (in quantity 3) I just toss it into each bucket and tick it off the list.

The best thing about using the bucket process is that everything is organized in one location and I can move them around if I have to. And to add to that idea, if the crap hits before I complete the project, I could even just take the buckets and what they have so far with us in the car.

Next I assessed the most likely need for these BOBs. I do not expect we’ll be using these for heading into the Nova Scotia highlands to survive in the woods. The most likely need them if we have to either evacuate our home on short notice. Here in Halifax Metro there have been two instances in the last month where authorities have issued mandatory evacuation orders. One was a local water reservoir system dam was identified as putting down stream homes at imminent risk. The second case was someone was found to be stockpiling dangerous chemicals in a small residential house (the individual has been arrested and is working his way through the legal system). Note we were not located anywhere near either ‘ground zero’ but they are reminders that these things can happen in the strangest places on a moment’s notice.

Even more likely for us, my dad lives a good 5 hours drive away and is getting older and on occasion we drive up and back in a day to help him with the pool or the house or something. I usually toss the basics of an overnight bag in the car for these trips in case we have to stop for the night for some reason. I can easily see tossing these BOBs in the car for these trips as they’ll easily support spending a day or even 3 on the road somewhere.

Next I started out with putting together my list – detailed below. I use Google Docs to allow me to play with the list from home or work on break. I am an amateur stitcher so I sew up my own pouches and bags. You could use zip lock bags if you like but I prefer a fabric bag with a zipper or a draw string as they are more resilient.

Based on the concept that this is a 72 hour bag for living in a hotel, or a friend’s place, or even in a car, it helps me build the contents list. No machetes, no hammocks/tarps/tents, no sleeping bags, no hunting/fishing kits. A good toiletry kit and 3 days of clothes and a limited amount of food is more important. Now, once I collect everything and try to stuff it into a suitable bag, then I’ll see what else I have room for and then I’ll adjust fire from there.

Now I’m working my way down the list, one or two items at a time. Some of the items are DIY like the toiletry bags, the note tags and a few others. Some of the items I already have laying around the house so I had to go find them. I had to / have to buy some things too of course so I’m assembling them over time.

Here is my detailed list. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I won’t get into a discussion on my basic philosophy (a 72 hour living under a roof somewhere) for now. Everyone has to decide what their basic design concept is and run with it. In the meantime, at least I’m starting and as I’m well on my way to the first basic BOB. I can always branch out later.

I’ll post some photos this weekend if I get the chance.

Bug Out Bag (BOB) 2015 v 2.0

Carrier Pack
   Suitable Backpack
   Laminated ID Tag (w name, phone number, perhaps e-mail)
   3 Mil Plastic bag to line pack
Toiletry Kit
   My small sewn pouch
   Soap case
   Bar of Soap
   Toothbrush
   Toothpaste
   Small Purel/sanitizer
   Moist Towelettes/baby wipes
   Small compacted, water expanding towelettes
   2 x Disposable Razors (my bag only)
   Dental Floss or individual floss/picks
   Q Tips
   Laminated ID tag
   Small Bottle of Shampoo
   Deodorant
Cash
   My small sewn zipper change purse
   5 x Loonies (1 dollar Canadian coins)
   5 x Toonies (2 dollar Canadian coins)
   4 x $5 bills
Light
   Headlamp
   LED Light
   Vacuum bagged spare batteries
Tools
   Tool bag
   Knife
   Lifeboat matches
   Lighter
   Permanent match w fuel
   Notepad
   Mechanical Pencils
   Sharpie Marker
   Sewing Kit
   Gaffers Tape
   Pen
   Zip Ties
   2 x Glue Sticks
Rations and Water
   Lifeboat ration bars
   Granola/Energy Bars
   Hard Candies
   Bottles of water, 2 litres
   SS Water Bottle
   Life Straw
   Canteen Cup (for eating, drinking, boiling or cooking)
   Knife, Fork, Spoon
Clothes
   Cargo Pants
   Sweat pants / PJ pants
   3 x T Shirts
   3 x Underwear
   3 x Pairs of Socks
   Flip flops / lightweight travel slippers
   Touque / watch cap / hat
First Aid
   First Aid Kit (Purchased from shtfshop.com – or whatever one you want)
   Israeli Dressing
Misc
   Pack of playing cards
   6 x write on note tags w twist ties (for marking unattended kit or leaving notes/directions for friends/family)
   Para cord - perhaps skeined and on outside of pack
   Small self-storing fabric shopping bag (for foraging or shopping)
   Space Blanket
   Kleenex
   Towel
   Zip Lock baggies
   Plastic bags for dirty laundry or garbage (blue recycle bags with string)
   3 x Small postage size envelopes
   Padlock w keys
   House Key on Paracord Fob
   Copy of Eyeglasses Prescription
   Disposable poncho
   3mm green plastic bag
   3mm clear plastic bag
   Fox Whistle
Information
   Address book
   Maps to RV locations
   Family Photos
   Survival Info Cards
   Knots Cards/booklet
   Family Communication Plan card
   Flash Drive with important info
Optional/Other
   Sun screen
   Small portable radio (w batteries if not AAA)
   Bug Juice
   Multitool
   GMRS/FRS Radios w batteries/charger

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #448 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
It may not be perfect, but that  Small self-storing fabric shopping bag could also be stuffed with leaves and used as a pillow.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2015, 01:43:36 AM »
I do not have a BOB per se, more of a GHB, and its contents are highly unusual due to my job. If I for some reason had to ditch my car, couldn't get a coworker to pick me up, and had to set out on foot there are several items of a sensitive nature that I would have to take with me. So, I would be carrying:

In a sniper drag bag:
Remington 700p (308 winchester), binoculars, rifle data book, spotting scope and tripod, wind meter, humidity and temperature meter, bean bags, camo face paint, several assorted sniper veils, 200 rounds of hornady 168gr TAP A-Max ammo, and a ghillie rifle cover.

In a small backpack suspended on the drag bag:
3 MREs, an assortment of granola and power bars, a couple bottles of water, small guage wire, 2 chem lights, a spare pair of socks, compass, hatchet, trauma kit, first aid kit, at least 100ft of 550 cord, Mora companion knife, 12 aa batteries, 2 123A batteries, a couple chem lights, 1 lime fuel 20,000mah battery pack, my buck nighthawk knife i've had sincebi was in the army,a head lamp, and I'm sure there are some odds and ends I left out, plus a ghillie suit hanging underneath.

My guns:
Glock 22 with a total of 4 15rnd magazines, glock 27 with total of 2 9rnd mags, Colt M4LE with 10.5" barrel, aimpoint comp ml2, surefire tlr1 mounted light, single point sling w/ a pmag of federal tactical rifle urban 55gr, a pmag of m855, and 10 more rounds of the TRU in a 20rnd colt mag. Remington 870p with 9 rounds of Remington 2¾" #1 buckshot, 5 polyshok slugs, 3 bean bags, 2 cs ferret rounds.

The rest of my EDC:
Bic lighter, magnesium fire starter, camillius barracuda folder, Boy scouts of America Deluxe pocket knife.

That's just the stuff that is going to be in my vehicle anyway, and do not want to leave behind. The stuff I added for GHB purposes is a katydyn hiker water filter pump, a pill bottle of strike anywhere matches, pill bottle of Vaseline cotton balls, bag of trail mix and a couple cans of Vienna sausages.

I would also toss in both my vhf and 800mhz portable radios, and headset. I would ditch the duty belt but take the oc spray, taser, and 2pr handcuffs. I haven't worked out a good way of taking the heavy entry vest, but would hate to leave it and it's too big and heavy to wear more than a few hundred yards (it will supposedly stop a 300 win mag point blank but I'm not willing to test that), and a concealable vest. I also carry a case of bottled water and would stuff as many as would fit in the empty spaces. I have clothes in the trunk to change into if possible.

A lot of this will depend on the situation, and the distance I need to go, since at any given time I could be anywhere in just over 500 square miles, and leaving this car is a last ditch desperate act.