Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 338882 times)

endurance

Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #480 on: March 18, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
hey! i have those! but never occured me to rig a flashlight with them
Let me know how they work.  You sure can't beat the price.

And i was about to ask you on this...But does wax releases its energy fast enought (of course it can be tinkered to byt increasing he burning surface). And otehr "violent" fuels except gasoline?
Part of the challenge is drying out the fuel, which takes time.  I'm not opposed to more volatile fuels, but the quantity you need vs. the risk to the other kit in your pack if they leak and the weight leads me to sticking to solid fuels or alcohol (for stove fuel and libation).  Worst case scenario with wax is it melts in its container and is poorly confined, leading to the nearest item getting wax on it, but not spreading throughout your pack.  I've had White Gas leak in my pack and everything smells like fuel until the trip is over and it can ruin food with just the vapors.  I'll still carry a White Gas stove during the winter sometimes, but it is not without significant risks.

als, taken from your previous postwouldn't it be better if there was a sturdier/thicker space blanket at rolls to cut as much as you want....
That would be nice, but not always available.  I like the bubble wrap stuff, but it is rather bulky for carrying compared to mylar space blankets alone.  There's probably a good niche for it, like it might make a good ground pad or something.  Might be worth experimenting with, but even with the space blankets, one risk is condensation of sweat on the inside of the sheet.  The less breathable seams, the greater the challenge.   Maybe using it just as a blanket and ground pad when bulk isn't an issue would avoid this problem?

Regarding Tyvek, I have a Tyvek ground sheet and one issue is the stuff is LOUD!  It really helps if you toss it in your dryer on the fluff/no heat setting with a couple tennis balls for a half an hour.  This goes a long way to making it tolerable for noise.  That said, something like that suit, I'm not sure how the seams would hold up to that kind of abuse.  I've only used this method with a 6x8' sheet I have.  It now looks much more worn, but I don't wake the dead every time I roll over.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #481 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »
     I'm pretty sure the one piece, disposable coveralls for spray painting, that are sold at Big Box "Home" stores are made out of Tyvek. I'll check it out for price and get back to ya'.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #482 on: March 18, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »
in the DIy article i posted he defines what he use sas
"DuPont “white disposable coveralls with hood”, style number TY127SWH"

That would be nice, but not always available.  I like the bubble wrap stuff, but it is rather bulky for carrying compared to mylar space blankets alone.  There's probably a good niche for it, like it might make a good ground pad or something.  Might be worth experimenting with, but even with the space blankets, one risk is condensation of sweat on the inside of the sheet.  The less breathable seams, the greater the challenge.   Maybe using it just as a blanket and ground pad when bulk isn't an issue would avoid this problem?
I meant thsi to be more as a lean to shelter/tarp material, especially with a fire

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #483 on: March 18, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »
     Creek Stewart"s "Fat Guys In The Woods" survival show, last season showcased his "heated" minimalist shelter. He starts with a sleeping platform of branches to keep you off of the ground. Over that he builds a "wickiup" style, woven branch half dome covered with a sheet of thin plastic tarp that drapes over the front opening. A space blanket is tucked on the inside of the structure. A fire built out front sends infra red heat thru the plastic and the space blanket reflects it down onto the occupant. I think he said it could get up to 70 degrees inside when it was 30 outside. Not a long term shelter, but meant for a night or two in emergencies. I have seen videos of similar shelter made with more robust materials that would last much longer.

video episode showing build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8ykoqIF14

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #484 on: March 19, 2016, 12:40:06 AM »
nah!!!! he took the idea from Mors kochanski and his "Super Shelter"...
A teacher of his also made a variant called "harlton haccienda"
https://www.youtube.com/user/KaramatWW/search?query=super+shelter

of course this is where I got the idea of a reflective shelter tarp on the inside.... 8)

endurance

« Reply #485 on: March 19, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »
Yup, also a useful tool in the right environment... Assuming you're not dealing with wood that tends to pop and send large embers flying in all directions. ;)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #486 on: March 21, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
     A basic space blanket and a sheet of 1 mil clear plastic will compact to the size of a deck of cards (especially if you vacuum seal it) and you have two valuable assets: shelter and the ability to stay warm. The plastic can also be used as a rain or dew catchment (as well as a "solar still"). In a sudden downpour, it can keep you dry. Highly reflective space blankets can act as a signaling device and just as they keep heat in, they can keep heat out as in a desert climate. They are somewhat fragile and probably have a limited life span, but in a pinch I'd rather have them than nothing. In a larger kit, thicker plastic and a reinforced space blanket would make a more permanent shelter.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #487 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Since we're on the topic of staying warm, here's a good one I've actually done:

If you have a campfire, put some rocks in the fire and when they're hot wrap them in cloth and keep them in your sleeping bag. Yeah you have to be careful. Put some more rocks on the fire before going to sleep so you have fresh hot rocks when you wake up at 3 am freezing.

I've done this camping with just my regular blanket not a cold weather sleeping bag, it got well below freezing overnight. I stayed plenty warm.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2016, 10:50:44 AM »
Need to be careful selecting the rocks.  If you put sandstone with embedded moisture in your fire, the water will turn to steam and the rock may explode in the fire.
Look for solid rocks up and away from any river, stream, pond, etc.
If you do it wrong, you get the double-whammy of high-speed rock shards AND embers shooting around your campsite.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2016, 05:50:23 PM »
     I had this happen on a camping trip; used rocks from a dry stream bed. Apparently enough moisture to cause a couple to explode. Luckily no one was nearby when they went off. Good tip.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
     Here's a might be useful tip. Recently I found some packages of plastic "Pirate" compasses (party favors) at Hobby Lobby. I bought a package (6 compasses) and broke one open. They seem to have a strong needle, magnetically speaking. The center pivot is easy to remove, leaving you with a flat compass needle about an inch long. The next step was to float it in a glass of water. If carefully placed the surface tension of the water keeps it floating. As the glass is turned, the North marked end of the arrow shaped needle faithfully points north. I next tried this with a puddle of water in my cupped hand. That worked as well. Of course a breeze will mess things up.
     I have since tucked these compass needles in all of my kits, and wallet. They are so small, flat and easy to conceal that I think I'm going to incorporate them in "survival bracelets". They seem to be much stronger than a magnetized sewing needle, and float on their own. I certainly wouldn't make this my only navigation tool, but the Vikings and Chinese sailed the open ocean with the same basic set up. Anyway, it's a nice piece of survival "bling" to put in your kit and it weighs next to nothing.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
an Idea i will pobably follow....

Cos any low ost compass coming from China develops a bubble eventually

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
My GPS sank when I put it on a bucket of water...compass must be better. ;)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #493 on: April 07, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
The compass needle sounds like a cool idea, thanks. I rarely needed a compass in my life though.
One thing I keep in most of my pockets, not to mention any outdoor packs (I don't really have a BOB) is a bunch of folding razor knives by Dermasafe.com - very cheap, lightweight and useful tool.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »
     I keep an up to date inventory list in each kit with what's packed inside. I generate them on my laptop, so I also have an inventory there. I use categories more or less in order of priority; Shelter, Fire, Water, First Aid, Signaling and Communication, Tools, Food and Self-Defense. Anything that would require replacement over time has the expiration date, like batteries, meds, food etc.  I also put in potential uses for items that may be dual purpose, such as alcohol hand sanitizer/fire starter, or coins/screwdrivers, etc.
     The idea is to keep everything fresh and current, to give an overview of what you have to work with, and a few tips on usage. I figure I may not be the one who uses the kit and this way whoever uses it can be a little more organized and instructed. As the seasons change or I reassess the contents, I change the inventory and print out a new one (and archive the old ones). By having a duplicate on the laptop, I can check on what is where and ponder it's usage without having to tear a kit apart and lay it all out

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #495 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
Recent addition - blood glucose test kit for my son.  Even with we have insulin, it's not really useful unless we know how to calculate the appropriate dosage.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #496 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »
Recent addition - blood glucose test kit for my son.  Even with we have insulin, it's not really useful unless we know how to calculate the appropriate dosage.

allow for small snacks when in high activity avoid high carb meals,but carry high carb snacks and or sugars for when swings appear this has helped me ,also a 5 meal a day plan has kept me better regulated lately..

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:39 AM »
allow for small snacks when in high activity avoid high carb meals,but carry high carb snacks and or sugars for when swings appear this has helped me ,also a 5 meal a day plan has kept me better regulated lately..

Indeed.  We carry both carb free beef jersey as well as portioned carb snacks.  If he is "low" we follow the 15 rule, so have items that are close to 15g carbs to be consumed and tested 15 minutes later.  Mix and repeat, so we can incrementally adjust.  Better than scarfing down a jelly donut all at once.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2016, 04:36:19 AM »
Indeed.  We carry both carb free beef jersey as well as portioned carb snacks.  If he is "low" we follow the 15 rule, so have items that are close to 15g carbs to be consumed and tested 15 minutes later.  Mix and repeat, so we can incrementally adjust.  Better than scarfing down a jelly donut all at once.

Just sort of curious. . .why not just toss a couple tubes of Glucose Tablets in your kit? They're usually 15 grams of carbs and they store quite well (2-3 years).

The Professor

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
     I'm not a diabetic and I'm not British, but I find a hot cup of tea, with a restaurant packet of sugar gives me a great lift. A tsp. of sugar has 4 grams of carbs. This seems relatively reasonable to me as far as a blood sugar "spike". As I said, I'm not a diabetic, but the mechanics of energy and calorie release are of interest. Back in the day we used to melt half a stick of butter in a cup of hot chocolate when snow cave camping before bed. The slow release of calories from the fats kept the inner furnace fueled throughout the night. As I understand it, unrefined carbs like boiled potatoes (15 grams of carbs in 1/2 cup) will convert to sugars, but slowly. Refined carbs, like white sugar give up their energy much more quickly.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #500 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
When I put sugar in my tea, even a little bit, I feel like my blood sugar goes down quite a bit and I get super out of it.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #501 on: May 04, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
I always carry tea in my bags when going out for more than a day. Black leaf tea, I'm quite addicted to it and having none for a whole day often gives me headache, guess due to blood pressure drop(?).

Let's see what else I carry in never-emptied pockets of my backpack (which is basically closest to a BOB for me, I just fill the main compartment with stuff I currently need and have no worries about stuff like firemaking, cordage, first aid and such, because that's in the pockets already). Cordage - always have a bunch of rdry awhide straps, mostly leftovers from some of my reenactment products. Just soak them for a while and they're ready to use. In extra need, I can always cook glue of them and they could be even chopped fine, boiled and eaten in total emergency. What else...not sure if I've mentioned it already, but I carry a Mosin-Nagant metal oil flask. These are very cheap and easy to find in gunshops and such. I cleaned mine very well  and filled it woth molten tallow. Now I can scrape some out with a stick, or shortly heat the flask in ashes or aside fire and pour the tallow out. Takes care of leather, gun, metal and wood protection, as well as dry lips, sore heels, burns and such. Is edible, so I can use ot for cooking and frying, as well as lighting...lots of uses for such a small and cheap thing. Got the idea from Dave Canterbury. What else to mention from the less usual items ...perhaps a sharpening stone and a small file, hacksaw blade (or a a half of it), small roll of binding wire...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #502 on: May 04, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
Just sort of curious. . .why not just toss a couple tubes of Glucose Tablets in your kit? They're usually 15 grams of carbs and they store quite well (2-3 years).

The Professor

We may eventually do that.

Different foods containing the same amount of carbohydrates may release at different rates. 
Things like orange juice are rapid, while complex carbs take longer to enter the blood stream.

So responding to a tactical hypoglycemia scare might call for juice.  But if we just want to raise his BG before bedtime, a slower release is more desirable.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
We may eventually do that.

Different foods containing the same amount of carbohydrates may release at different rates. 
Things like orange juice are rapid, while complex carbs take longer to enter the blood stream.

So responding to a tactical hypoglycemia scare might call for juice.  But if we just want to raise his BG before bedtime, a slower release is more desirable.

As a diabetic,I must say that glucose tabs hit fast and unless he crashes....better to use a carb snack.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #504 on: May 05, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
As a diabetic,I must say that glucose tabs hit fast and unless he crashes....better to use a carb snack.

We were prescribed these special glucagon kits.  They are for emergency hypoglycemia when the patient is unconscious or at least unable to eat/drink.

From everyone I've talked to, none have ever had to use it. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #505 on: May 05, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
good...and i see some room for tabs etc.
Kit mentality yuo see...

Offline Ben Hageman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #506 on: January 05, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
This has always been a great topic on other forums so let's do it here.  Post your BOB inventories and let's all learn from each other.

I've found a ton of bob lists online, most of which are 72 hour, super heavy, even military grade.  In searching for a checklist I discovered I already, as an ultralight long distance hiker, have everything I need.  Light weight, durable gear IS expensive, but @ 28 lbs, worth it.  I can easily pack 7 days worth of food making it an 84 hour pack/B.O.B.  The gear on this site http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/25623/erik-the-blacks-backpacking-gear-list-2016/? is a good a source for ultralight weight gear.  Not my list, but a great base list.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #507 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
     I'm pretty sure animal fats like tallow or especially lard need to be kept cool or cold. Vegetable shortening, like Crisco, stores at room temperature. It will all melt in the heat so a leakproof container is best. Crisco is, of course, edible (lots of slow release calories); you can fry in it. It can be used as a candle with a cordage wick (might be a good idea to include some length of candle wicking in your kit, you can always make a grease or oil lamp). I assume it would help with dry skin, conditioning leather, baiting traps, etc. It also makes a pretty good patch lube for muzzleloading guns.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2017, 08:54:20 PM »
Crisco is, of course, edible

There are many here that would argue with that

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #509 on: January 09, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »
 I carry an old school LED light,the LIGHTWAVE 2000 has 4 LEDs powered by 3 AA batteries and provides light enough to walk or work in the dark ,
but not overpowering and causing light blindness where you see nothing outside the brightest area of the light.
I think it is a perfect brightness in this day of over compensating devices and it runs for OVER 250 HOURS on the same set of 3 AA batteries.
They have been out of business since 2007 but ,if you look a bit,it should not be hard to find a 3 AA mini MAGLITE that uses the same DRIVERLESS
LOW TECH system usually found in 3 cell AA LED lights.

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/lwave.htm   Lightwave 2000

I also carry some 10 hour BLUE chemlights.