Author Topic: Best common sense preps I ever heard  (Read 7772 times)

Offline minrlwtr

• Survivor
Best common sense preps I ever heard
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
 Listen to the one hour audio towards the bottom and help spread the word on "we will be eating donuts in a disaster!
Great resource of audio files
Family Preparedness Class
beyond RedCross.org and Ready.gov
Everything they NEVER tell you that they SHOULD of told you. Shame on them
http://www.beforethestormhits.com/

Elliott

Re: Best common sense preps I ever heard
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
Ok.. I work nights and Its not always busy so last night I went to this site and downloaded the MP3.  Its almost 2 hours long if I remember correctly.  Well after going through it I would have to say this is some of the best advice for the average Joe.  This guy has some pretty good creds and I believe he is talking at some kind of CERT recruitment meeting.  Anyway this guy goes through a wide gambit of items.  I wouldn't want to use all of his ideas if I had a second retreat but again for the average Joe I'm not sure you can get it any more easy.  Its a great place to start and then build off it to satisfy your own needs and concerns.

Some topics covered:
water storeage
emergency power
lighting
easy food storage
easy food preparation.. 

Offline GlenM

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »
I too listen to Steven Harris's mp3s.  It was an eye opener, especially about the emergency food (biscuits).  I wonder if he has other audio's available to the public other than those on the website?  His 2 hr long audio hints at other materials.  I recommend this audio.

Offline minrlwtr

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »
One thing I learned to consider even though my preps are in order from the audio is to consider the neighbors,hey I bought a cheap but effective cast iron mill for 20 bucks, why so i can hit the feed store while everyone else is freaking out at the grocers and have the ability and the cheapness of hitting the feed store to actualy be able to have for less than 50 bucks a supply of food for neighbors if we all got blindsided, i started considering what happens if they say dirty bombed an area a couple hours drive away from me and now the town is full of refugees competing with the locals and my neighbors who dont prep cant even get thier share of the competive basdics i wont be competing for at the local stores,well for 80 bucks i can get 250 pounds of wheat ( 8.00 x 50 and8.00 x50) rounded off of course whole corn so 500lbs of food to help with the mess and they can share the grinding

Elliott

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »
I did some basic searches and could not find any other Stephen Harris audio's.  I'll spend some time later tonight and dig for it.     I too never really thought about my neighbors as how can I really help them.  I was more concerned with keeping them out.  However after listening to the podcast I realized that I'll just keep a 100 lbs of flour some sugar and salt iin a sealed container for around 100 dollars.  Costco had 50 lbs for 18.00 dollars.  I know it won't keep for as long as grain but it will keep for a long time.  Those little hardtack biscuits will be quite enjoyable for those who didn't prepare.

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »
I just finished listening to the almost 3 hour mp3, he makes some very good points. As usual I know I will always learn something new, stuff you don't even think of, but when someone else says it you think, well that's obvious, but you never think of it until then, again great listen, I recommend it to people aswell.
And of course we can't forget our host (the survival podcast), always learn something new :)

Braden

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
I listened to Steven Harris' audio files also. I'm going to have to make some biscuits and donuts and tortillas this weekend, see how they taste.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:29:19 PM »
Howdy all. Our city offers free hazardous waste collection at two facilities. They are very friendly people and they are into recycling big time. I have been able to give them a "shopping list" of sorts that they save for me and I pick up. I have gotten many gallons of Coleman fuel, Coleman stoves, lanterns, chainsaw bar oil, WD-40, Propane tanks of all sizes and even ammo. I check everything to make sure it is not some miss marked container. So far every thing has been what it was suppose to be even the ammo. Best of all it is completely FREE. They want it reused and they don't have to pay to haul it away. You might check your cities and see if you can get the same deal.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
Good idea!!!! I'll have to see if I can do that.

SouthernLiving

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
Check out these mp3 files as well.  They are alot like TSP.  A guy named John Bueler made quite a few but obviously burned out on it. 

http://ec2-67-202-39-116.compute-1.amazonaws.com/podcast/1562/2/Practical_Preparedness

JohnnyPaid

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
[POST DELETED FOR IMPROPER ADVERTISING]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:47:51 PM by Serellan »

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »
All though I didn’t agree with everything Steven presented in the audio, it is a worthwhile listen. I to ran several Google searches with his name for additional postings on the internet and didn’t find any more audio or text files. The other disappointment was two of the websites he sited don’t appear to exist anymore. If someone discovers any additional posts he has in cyberspace I’d be interested to see the links..

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:17 AM »
I have gotten many gallons of Coleman fuel, Coleman stoves, lanterns, chainsaw bar oil, WD-40, Propane tanks of all sizes and even ammo. I check everything to make sure it is not some miss marked container

My city does not do this but I have a good friend who lives in Madison, Wisconsin and they have a center that takes stuff in "hazardous materials" or some such, and he has done the exact same thing. He has gallons and gallons of Coleman fuel, lacquer thinner and other solvents like Acetone etc.....he has also gotten a little ammo but they are kinda hinky about that. It's a pretty liberal town.