Author Topic: "Smart" Meters - the New Electricity Meters  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
"Smart" Meters - the New Electricity Meters
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »
I just heard a news story about a family which had one of the new "smart meters" installed on their house by their electric company. The meter is completely digital instead of analog and is much more responsive to capturing every little nuance (including spikes created when an appliance motor or similar item kicks on) that an analog meter may miss.

Here is the kicker: Someone stole their new "smart" meter and installed it on their own unit. The family was not aware of it until the family got a bill for $400.00

When they contacted the electric company, they were originally told they were responsible for reporting the theft when it happened and would be responsible for the cost. I guess a local news station intervened and got that snafu corrected.

The new meters report your energy consumption every fifteen minutes and the data can be read on the internet. Despite that, they apparently have no way to track where the stolen meter went. Meter readers are no longer required to come to the house so they wouldn't have known it was displaced, either. They are still working to determine what happened to the stolen meter.

I was surprised how easy it was for a thief to remove one of the meters and install it elsewhere.

Watch your meters!

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: "Smart" Meters - the New Electricity Meters
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
Wow, who would have thought!  So, electricity the people who stole the meter consume gets electronically billed to the victim's account?

And, how could you tell if someone switched smart meters?  If a person in an energy hog house, or business, switched with a little old lady in an apartment, it could be a big difference.   

I could see the guys growing pot under lights doing that for sure, they busted someone locally and said the electrical usage was what "tipped off" authorities.  Of course, I wonder what authority has any business looking at how much electricity anyone uses.  Is anything private anymore???

~TG