Author Topic: My only tomatoe plant, it seems pretty big  (Read 964 times)

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
My only tomatoe plant, it seems pretty big
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
I originally didn't plant any tomatoes.  A neighborhood kid was nice enough to point out this deficiency and planted a single scraggly plant in my raised bed, well after most others had been planted. 

This is it now, its huge!  When it first took off, I staked it up in three places.  Its continued to thrive and is now pushing over the wire around the bed and projecting a couple of feet out into the yard.  Its absolutely loaded with green tomatoes.  I had a problem with blossom end rot but have since fertilized and hopefully fixed the problem.  You can see tomatoes in the fore and background, its all on the same plant.

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
Re: My only tomatoe plant, it seems pretty big
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
Looks good.  My tomatoe plants are huge this year, but I'm not getting many fruits from them.  A gardening mentor told me I was fertilizing them too much.  I was watering them with Miracle-Gro every 10 days, and he told me to stop using it.  Better luck next year, I guess.

I've only got 5 plants but one of them has topped an 8' stake and another is nearly the size of my lilac bushes!

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: My only tomatoe plant, it seems pretty big
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
wow, thats great...yeah we finally got red tomatoes this year, after trying for 4 years...rains too much here in Seattle...so you need a full day of sun and our backyard only gets 5-6...but I put them against the house...and bam...6-7' tall plants...yours must have been tall..you do need to prune them back so they focus the energy on ripening...