Author Topic: Ham Radio / Comms Go Kit  (Read 77456 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Ham Radio / Comms Go Kit
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
That was EASY! After studying with the www.hamradiolicenseexam.com material I PASSED my technician and general exam without any issues today.
Congratulations!!!  Yeah, wasn't so bad was it?

Now it is time to move on and build a Emergency Ham Radio Portable Go-Kit. Does any one have a good list of what is needed and where to buy? I am thinking of using a Pelican 1520 case and going from there with a Yaesu FT-817ND.
Hmm, lots of opinions here and lots of good options.  As cool as the FT-817ND is, it is a 5 watt QRP rig.  A skilled operator can do a lot with 5 watts and enjoy the challenge, but 100 watts may be less frustrating to a new guy.  Also when an emergency strikes, you don't want to be saddled with low power.  (Yes, there are amps, I know, but that weights down the go-kit.)  Have you looked at the FT-897D?  Full power on an external source, 20 watts on internal battery.

How light do you want to go?  Internal battery transceivers make sense for backpacking, but if you're planning on a car-based bugout you've got that great big beautiful battery sitting under the hood.  That really opens up your radio and power options.

Also think about antennas and tuners.  Too many options here to go into.

Boxes... Pelicans are nice.  20mm ammo cans can serve as well, and are usually cheaper, but they usually need some rehabilitation before you'd want to throw your radio in.

Anyway, congratulations!

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
I have everything in a padded computer bag. Pelican cases are good, but pricey. check MTM out as well. My kit right now is a Icom 706mIIg, switching power supply, tuner, clip board and lap top computer for digital. My antenna is a faned inverted V, 16 foot mast, base plate made from 2X2 foot plywood and pipe flange (3/4"), 6" nipple and 20 lb weight from weight lifting set.Last two plastic snow shovels for end supports. The stacked out antennas keeps the mast straight. I have a spare 12V battery for the radio and just jump it off the car as needed. I ran my Wednesday am nets like this for five to six years in a park near work because I didn't have time to drive home before the net started. I've put it up in all kinds of weather from 90* in the summer, while the park flooded in the spring and to a little below 11F in the winter. Did you know that the computer has a hard time starting at 14 F and won't start at all at 11 F, because of the lub in the hard drive. Time to start the car for some heat. HI 73

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »
Does any one have a good list of what is needed and where to buy? I am thinking of using a Pelican 1520 case and going from there with a Yaesu FT-817ND.

First, congratulations.

I chose the 817ND for my BOR after a lot of research.

Edited to add: BTW the first comms out of Tacloban Philippines after the hurricane was a guy running a low-power QRP rig and a long wire antenna on battery.

I wasn't concerned about the low power as the primary BOR use is NVIS, so I don't have to worry a lot about HF long distance pile ups.

Tested and works great for my expected 200 mile range, and for listening (yes I did the expanded frequency mod).

I was able to fit the following in a milspec 3 day ruck with a little added padding:
817ND, AA holder, 2 spare internal aftermarket LiOn batteries
Wouxun dual band handheld w/ AA clamshell and DC-DC adapter
HF Autotuner w/ internal batteries
Soundcard packet modem, cables and jumpers for both 817ND and Wouxun
Primary power cables, programming cables, extra batteries, spare cables
HF radio Component spares kit + butane soldering iron/solder
Small Notebook computer running Win7 for all packet modes (replaced HDD with SSD)
USB stick with backup programs and encrypted partition with other good stuff
Laminated operating manuals, write in rain notebook, space pen(s)
Inverted V HF antenna
Long wire HF antenna
4:1 Balun
1:1 Balun
Dual band 2m/440 roll up Jpole
2 lengths of 25' of Coax + adapters and pigtails
Snap On Ferrite cores

Power:
10ah LiPo4 battery (plan to add a second as $$ permits)  These are NOT cheap.
        - 4x lighter and 3x the energy capacity of sealed lead acid
        - Slow discharge rate in storage, 1K+ discharge cycles
Rig runner 4005H horizontal  http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005h_c
Cables for radio, dc-dc converter for laptop, female lighter adapter for the Wouxun portable
Spare Anderson Power Pole connectors
Charger 12vdc
Charger 120vac

I just ordered the insert for the Pelican 1520 to build out another setup for a second 817ND and a linear amp for more fixed use at the BOL.  I may go with the 100 watt model for this setup in the Pelican Case.

BTW HF linear amps are getting pretty difficult to find/import these days.

FWIW
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:23:28 AM by doublehelix »

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »
Awesome! Thank you for your thoughts on this. I have a basic idea of what I want to go with but without a lot of experience it is hard to know what is best for a go kit med-weight application. I do not want to spend to much money and then realize I over did it or not enough. I want to do it right the first time.

Stay Safe!

First, congratulations.

I chose the 817ND for my BOR after a lot of research.

Edited to add: BTW the first comms out of Tacloban Philippines after the hurricane was a guy running a low-power QRP rig and a long wire antenna on battery.

I wasn't concerned about the low power as the primary BOR use is NVIS, so I don't have to worry a lot about HF long distance pile ups.

Tested and works great for my expected 200 mile range, and for listening (yes I did the expanded frequency mod).

I was able to fit the following in a milspec 3 day ruck with a little added padding:
817ND, AA holder, 2 spare internal aftermarket LiOn batteries
Wouxun dual band handheld w/ AA clamshell and DC-DC adapter
HF Autotuner w/ internal batteries
Soundcard packet modem, cables and jumpers for both 817ND and Wouxun
Primary power cables, programming cables, extra batteries, spare cables
HF radio Component spares kit + butane soldering iron/solder
Small Notebook computer running Win7 for all packet modes (replaced HDD with SSD)
USB stick with backup programs and encrypted partition with other good stuff
Laminated operating manuals, write in rain notebook, space pen(s)
Inverted V HF antenna
Long wire HF antenna
4:1 Balun
1:1 Balun
Dual band 2m/440 roll up Jpole
2 lengths of 25' of Coax + adapters and pigtails
Snap On Ferrite cores

Power:
10ah LiPo4 battery (plan to add a second as $$ permits)  These are NOT cheap.
        - 4x lighter and 3x the energy capacity of sealed lead acid
        - Slow discharge rate in storage, 1K+ discharge cycles
Rig runner 4005H horizontal  http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005h_c
Cables for radio, dc-dc converter for laptop, female lighter adapter for the Wouxun portable
Spare Anderson Power Pole connectors
Charger 12vdc
Charger 120vac

I just ordered the insert for the Pelican 1520 to build out another setup for a second 817ND and a linear amp for more fixed use at the BOL.  I may go with the 100 watt model for this setup in the Pelican Case.

BTW HF linear amps are getting pretty difficult to find/import these days.

FWIW

Offline Ldrider

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
A portable antenna I carry on my motorcycle is a MFJ1622.  It has a coil that you use a jumper to tune the antenna for the frequency you want to use and has a car radio type whip that you pull out when you want to use it.  I've had a lot of fun attaching it to a fence and using a radio putting out 20 watts, I've been able to talk around the world.  And it doesn't take up much space.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:01 AM »
I don't think this guy is part of the survival community (or maybe he's just really good at OPSEC  :)), but he presents some good ideas, including his evolution to get to where he is today: http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=661

CHAMELEONWALKER

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
You might want to look at our new CHA TD (Tactical Dipole) specially made for emergency, prepping, portable or base station.

http://chameleonantenna.com/PORTABLE%20ANTENNA/CHA%20TD/CHA%20TD.html