Author Topic: Meeting someone from Craigslist  (Read 11521 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Meeting someone from Craigslist
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, feel free to move it if needed.

What kind of precautions would you recommend to someone who wants to meet through an online site such as Craigslist?

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Meeting someone from Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
  I'd suggest meeting somewhere public...McDonalds, store parking lot, etc. I've bought/received free stuff and went to people's houses, but I've never let someone come to my house. (other than one for a huge heavy fireplace face)
  Though I'm sure it's rare, I have heard of people going to meet someone for a CL deal and end up being robbed. (that happened near here with someone buying a laptop) Make sure someone knows exactly where you are going,and the exact time. If possible, take someone else with you.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
I agree with Dawgus.  I typically meet at a local park and ride that almost always has several LEOs in the lot.  If you have any concern at all, take someone else with you.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
Have one of your friends call you or you call them at a prearrainged "Exact" time  so they know you are alright.

I know it sounds corny but if you get a feeling don't accept a ride home or an offer to go to a more private place to chat. meet at a nice mall with plenty of people, bring your girlfriend along. atleats if things don't work out you can still kill some time shopping together

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »
I actually met my wife through Craigslist and we first met at a Starbucks and then went to dinner next door. The next time we met at another public place and then we finally met up at her place for the 3rd date ;) But I will give you a warning though, we have had a good friend get murdered by someone through a meeting on Craigslist so it is both Bitter & Sweet for us... If you want to google her... her name is Katherine Olson...just be careful  ;)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »
<sigh>  My Old Man side is going to come out here, but. . .

I realize fully that I still have a sloping forehead and sunken eyes. . .yes, I grunt and scratch a lot, usually as a form of communication.

This having been said and fully accepted by myself. . .I would wholeheartedly suggest that you find another means of finding a friend/compatriot/potential spousal equivalent than resorting to craigslist, or the like. 

It amazes me how people for tens of thousands of years established relationships without the help of the internet.

All that aside, I'd probably suggest that you suggest a double-date.  Anyone with a brain in their head and an honest intention will understand and agree to this.  Ask them if they'd go on coffee date with you and a couple of your friends.  Ask the friends to just hang around, they don't necessarily have to sit in chairs and browbeat the person you're meeting (unless you want that, of course).  Hell, they don't even have to interact, just be there providing moral support if you need it.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
I agree with setting up the meeting in a public place and ideally so you can see them before the can see you. That way if your gut tells you that something is wrong, you can abort and bail.

Offline Wrender

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
I agree with all the other suggestions. 

Go someplace public. 
Have a friend call you at a prearranged time so you can get out conveniently if needed. 
If it were me, I would get there early and park further away (not some dark alley mind you).  That way when you do leave you maintain opsec and they most likely will not see what kind of car you drive. 

Just my 2 cents. 

It may go fantastic.  Good luck. 

Offline kymedic

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Emergency Training Associates
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
+1 Professor...do it another way that might have people more in line with the way you think (i.e. hang out in the "guns" or "organic gardening" sections at Barnes & Noble, bump into the grocery cart if they are buying Diet Coke or Pop Tarts or canning supplies or ammo, etc.).

I just recently downloaded CL on my iPhone (to see who was bartering what) and looked at the Personals to see what was up and I was mighty scared! If I was going to do on-line, I'd probably do something that at least professes to rate compatibility based on something other than the size of a person's boots or if they are a smoker. Even then you are bound to get a good percentage that are looking for quick procreation practice. You might search for a site that might filter the heathens, like Christian dating.

So if you're going through with it, why not take a friend along at least to the initial meet? Maybe she can do the "Hey what a surprise to see you here...Oh, you all are cute...let me snap a pix to remember the moment (and put on the back of a milk carton)...See you later!" . He knows there's a witness and a photo. I've used a wingman and phone call before in case I'm in something I need out of...not dating, but weird feeling situations.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 8)

Offline Poppa C.O.B.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:43:33 AM »
We usually meet people about a block away from here. Closer to home, but i always take the long way around and wait for them to leave first. I get on my phone and let my wife know that they are here and call her right back as soon as the deal is done. When i meet people at their house, I go in and my wife stays at the open door. When people come here, they do not come in.

Offline Mars24

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
I'm with the Professor if it is a relationship type meet up, sorry.

If it is for purchasing, don't go alone if possible, and have a plan to extract yourself if needed.

My wife has made several CL purchases alone while I was at work, but our routine is:
1. Call from her car when she is at the location with address, and all visible vehicle plates.
2. Agreed upon check in time
3. She goes armed
4. She calls when she is locked in her car, and pulling away.

While she was pregnant and collecting baby furniture, there was a local case of another woman who was near full term on her pregnancy doing the same.  The other lady was killed and had her child cut from her body.  Weird and isolated, but it happens. 

Offline KSDeputy

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
All good, well thought out ideas. Most importantly trust your gut feeling, it is seldom wrong. Be careful out there. My wife says I am paranoid, I may be after 30 years of seeing the underbelly of society. You can never be to careful or to safe. Think of it like we do, we plan on going home at the end of a shift.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
do it another way that might have people more in line with the way you think (i.e. hang out in the "guns" or "organic gardening" sections at Barnes & Noble, bump into the grocery cart if they are buying Diet Coke or Pop Tarts or canning supplies or ammo, etc.).

A friend of mine met her now husband at a farm auction.  They kept "bumping into each other" at other farm/estate auctions, got to talking, and the rest is history.  My husband and I have met some good friends & fellow preppers via auctions. 

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take my husband with me and never let anyone know where I live.

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
If you find a deal that's too good to be true and don't feel right about it don't go check it out.

I've had good luck so far, but I always have a few people in the know of when and where I'm meeting someone and when I need to check in by.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »
You can always meet in the parking lot of your local police station.  It might be a good idea to ask the police first.  Local police (in mid to smaller towns) are usually all very friendly.  You can probably ask an officer to hang out in the parking lot while you conduct the transaction.  Your CL buyer/seller shouldn't have a problem with this. 

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
As some have said before
Meet in a populated public place.  Across from a police station or fire station is a great spot.
Take someone with you if possible. 

Make sure someone knows where you are going and who you are meeting.  Call them before and after and if you do not call within a prearranged time then they call you.

Take personal defense items.

Do not give out personal information.

Do not go directly home, make sure someone does not follow you.

Check the persons phone number through a Google search.

If this is a dating thing then get a photo or facebook page.  Maybe get an online criminal background check.

In the Charlotte area we have had several people victims of Robbery and assaults due to a craigslist meet up.

Trust your instincts, if it does not feel right then it most likely is not.  Be safe.