Author Topic: BOL in same county?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
BOL in same county?
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
Does a BOL have to be a minimum distance away from a primary residence?  Here's my challenge: I have an empty house (actually have guests there this week) about 12 minutes away by car.  We can afford to keep it, and the plan is to farm the acreage.  It is not our primary residence.   My question is, how "equipped" should I make this second home?  We have lots of storage space here at the main residence, but with all our homesteading activities, things are filling up fast.  Let's say I have a generator at both locations, but the one I'm using during the ice storm is down.   The back up is 12 minutes away by car, not on-site.  And it's absolutely horrible on the roads, so travel would be unwise.  See the quandry?  From the SHTF perspective, it would be impossible to defend both locations.  I'd have to pick one and stay there, and of course I'd want the majority of the preps where I was making my stand.

The two big concepts are "redundancy" and "bug out." Discuss. 

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: BOL in same county?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
1. BOL's can be used for all kinds of situations. Lets say something happens and your primary residence is lost in a fire. How convenient is it to have a BOL twelve minutes away?! Good deal!!

2. You don't need to have only one BOL. That one is great and its only twelve minutes away, Awesome!! You can have another "BOL" at a trusted relative or friend's house in another county, state, country, whatever. Different BOL's for different situations.

A BOL does not always have to be a piece of property that you own. It DOES have to be owned by you or someone you would inherently trust with your stuff and your life. This type of situation usually works in a reciprocal fashion where you're residence or primary BOL would be a BOL for that person(s) as well, but it doesn't have to work that way.

Just my two cents.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »
1. BOL's can be used for all kinds of situations. Lets say something happens and your primary residence is lost in a fire. How convenient is it to have a BOL twelve minutes away?! Good deal!!

2. You don't need to have only one BOL. That one is great and its only twelve minutes away, Awesome!! You can have another "BOL" at a trusted relative or friend's house in another county, state, country, whatever. Different BOL's for different situations.

A BOL does not always have to be a piece of property that you own. It DOES have to be owned by you or someone you would inherently trust with your stuff and your life. This type of situation usually works in a reciprocal fashion where you're residence or primary BOL would be a BOL for that person(s) as well, but it doesn't have to work that way.

Just my two cents.
I completely agree.  While there are certain advantages to having property that's in a different region in the event of a tornado, hurricane, massive earthquake, regional flooding, etc., having something close has its inherent advantages, too.  My BOL is actually a friend's house that's about 30 minutes away from mine.  My most likely disaster is a wildland fire or severe winter storm that prevents me from getting home.  He's in a small town that's far enough away that he's unlikely to be impacted by the same fire that would impact me and he's on a different highway system, so I might have a chance of getting to his place when I couldn't get to mine.  So I keep a large vacuum-sealed bag of work clothes and six buckets worth of food and supplies in his crawl space.  Most of the time his place could be empty, too, as his GF is just up the road, so it's a pretty ideal situation.  We'd have a harder time putting him up, but that doesn't appear to concern him.

In any case, your situation sounds like a good one to be in.

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
With this BOL so close, what about the redundancy question?  The BOL has neighbors that are retired and don't get out much.  Nosy neighbors are great security, as long as they don't want your stuff!  I currently have my entire pantry in the basement of the primary residence, which has a pretty constant temp.  I am reluctant to spread food storage throughout the house because I use conditioned space for things like wool clothing, down sleeping bags, and other items I don't want getting moldy or mouse-infested.  The other house is poorly insulated, but it's certainly better than my primary residence's attic, garage or barn for food storage.  I realize that I MUST get my eggs into smaller baskets.  But must I have back-ups at the SAME location, on hand?  For small items, this is not a big question.  For big stuff, like power/fuel, it's trickier. 

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
I think you answered your own question with your use of the "all-my-eggs-in-one-basket" analogy. Get some vacuum-seal bags or other inexpensive hermetically-sealed containers in which you can store food, clothing and other materials. They don't have anything outrageous. You can find stuff like it at Wal-mart.

Start working on reinforcing, insulating and protecting your BOL. A little bit at a time and learn how to do it yourself to save money. A few rolls of fiberglass insulation, even one or two at a time if need be - as you can afford it, along with a couple cans of spray foam insulation will help seal up a house in short order. This not only helps with protecting from changes in temperature but the process of ensuring your BOL is properly sealed up will help prevent dust, dampness and bugs.

Go over every inch of the house and look for loose or rotten wood, holes and/or gaps that should not be there. Do what it takes to properly repair, seal and insulate them.

You will save electricity and your supplies will stand a much better chance of survival.

Variety in redundancy is always good, too. If you have a small generator for power...try getting a couple small solar panels you can hook up to a charge controller and a car battery as a backup.

Redundancy in prepping is inherent. The adage goes "Two is one and one is none" as things break and materials run out or are ruined or lost for various reasons.

And, again, you don't have to do this all at once. Pace yourself and regularly re-evaluate what you want and what you need to achieve your own goals.

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
First of all, I'd glad you're blessed with the resources you have. Having a fallback option like that is one that many don't have these days, can barely keep one going.

But as far as a "bug out" location, I think it depends on "where" you are now and what you expect to "bug out" from. To me, the primary purpose of a BOL is to put space between you and the threat that caused you to BO.
If you're in a city/suburbia now at the primary, and the second is just outside (you mention acreage) only 12 minutes away, do you really gain that much space from say civil unrest/riots? Also something like  a severe weather event is likely to affect both locations, so that the secondary could be just as impacted, if not more so, than the primary. 

12 minutes just doesn't seem like much space imo,