Poll

Would you take help offered by the Govt following an emergency?

Yes, definitely would
7 (20.6%)
No - that's what my preps are for
10 (29.4%)
Depends - Explain
15 (44.1%)
Other - Explain
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 09, 2011, 06:37:54 AM

Author Topic: Accepting .gov assistance after a disaster/emergency?  (Read 6551 times)

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
Accepting .gov assistance after a disaster/emergency?
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
This question was posted on another forum, just curious about this community's views.
My opinion is "Depends". Mostly on what, if any, pre-conditions required.
Ie. Show ID to prove you live in affected zone? OK
Mandatory relocation in shelter to receive? No

Also if you have accepted post emergency aid, please share any requirements or hassles that you went through for it. Thanks!

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
Re: Accepting .gov assistance after a disaster/emergency?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »
It depends.  In most scenarios, no, I would not.  If my house is destroyed, my preps are gone (I have not separated), and I have no place to go, then yes, I need and would accept the help.  I plan on taking a portion of my preps to my parents, who are 1.5 hours away.  If I can get to them, then I would be fine.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:54 AM »
Like any of this sort of question, it depends.  It really depends on my situation.  How the disaster affects us directly and what kind of strings are attached.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
What Fritz said.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
Certainly depends on the conditions of getting the aid.  That said , I pay taxes, so if the National Guard come by handing out MRE's and other stuff, sure, I'll take it. 

Offline skanav22

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
Having personally survived Hurricane Katrina I will tell you I accepted monetary aid.  I lost everything I owned, the water line was an inch from my ceiling.  I took 1K from FEMA and $500 from the red cross.  It was helpful, in a sense but there was still no place to buy anything except for Wal Mart which was inundated with people.  What upset me was some of my coworkers on base who asked to leave work so they could line up for their "Free Money" when they had zero damage to anything.  But I guess you will have that anywhere you go.  If your wiped out there is  no shame in asking for shoes, food, money whatever.

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
I checked other.  I work for the government and I am on one of the groups that would be deployed to respond to a disaster.  When you get deployed you have to do something to take care of the responders so I would need to "accept government aid".  I know you have a lot of negative attitudes about government employees on this site, but I would like to point out a few things.  When I was deployed for Hurricane Katrina I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for over a month.  It is exhausting work in very bad conditions.  People got mad at the government for not responding faster during Katrina, but they do not understand the size of the problem.  You have a few million people affected, tens of thousands homeless, hospitals failing, no power, no gas, and no place to put responders.  Without deploying the military you have less than a thousand responders. You have to triage.  You have to take care of the elderly, handicapped, and injured first.  I think that if you are capable you MUST take care of yourself to leave resources for the people who need them.  Don't blame the government for everything.  You must have some responsibility for taking care of your self.  One reason for refusing assistance is because you want the people who really need help to get it first.  You do not want to be one of the people waiting for the government to bring them free bottles of water.  But if I was unprepared and thirsty I would accept the water.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Having personally survived Hurricane Katrina I will tell you I accepted monetary aid.  I lost everything I owned, the water line was an inch from my ceiling.
Similarly, after Katrina I accepted water and ice.  Water... I had maybe 15 gallons on hand (for 3), we ripped through it pretty quickly and didn't have much choice.  (I now have a well, a Berky, and much more storage, so that probably won't happen again.)  The ice was a luxury, but it was hard to pick up water without having a 20 lb bag stuffed into your car at the same time.  Pull into the distro point, pop the trunk, and the NG was stuffing things in and flagging you through so quick you didn't have any say about what they were handing out.  But the ice was nice.

Back to the poll, I checked "other."  I won't say "never," but had there been an "unlikely and reluctantly" option, I'd have checked that one.  You just never know what you've forgotten/lost until something like this happens.

Sorry to hear about your particularly bad time, skanav22.  In your shoes, I likely would've done the same thing.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
Depends was my choice also. I can tell you from our experiences with Katrina that there were folks who truly didn't need anything, yet took whatever they could get from the handouts. We met one such family in the RV park where we lived (4 1/2 months) in a travel trailer. They went out and got all sorts of free food and suggested we do the same. Um, no thanks... we were doing just fine, thank you.

We did, however, really appreciate the way our cell service provider (Verizon) took care of us. Since we were not able to use our land line phone at the time, we went over our minutes several times... Verizon wiped away those extra costs to help out dislocated people.

nkawtg

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
If I am to follow my goal of accepting no government assistance, then I would not accept FEMA money after a disaster/emergency. This whole prepper thing is about self sustainability yes? I make certain I have enough private insurance to cover my loss. That's a factor of home ownership that must be budged for.

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Also on the "depends" response;
Back in '96 we had a huge icestorm and lots of flooding the following spring thaw. We live off of a unpaved private road that was turned to mush with deep ruts, even my raised CJ5 w/ 33" Goodrich T/A's had trouble getting in & out.
The northern counties were declared disaster areas, FEMA assistance would be available.
We were advised by an inspector that our road was eligible for a grant to tear it all out, bring in base rock & 3/4"-for topping BUT all the homeowners along the road had to sign on, form a road maintenance agreement (RMA) and abide by the grant terms, namely that all monies had to spent on the road or driveway approaches. Any monies left over would have to be returned.
The "drawback" was that FEMA was accorded access to all applicant properties on an unannounced basis as long as the grant was open, to ensure that monies weren't being diverted for home repairs/improvements which should be covered by homeowner's insurance.   
So "to help provide for the general welfare" we held our noses, agreed and applied for the grant. We never did get a "inspection" that I know of but ir did not give me a warm feeling to know that there could be a knock on the door at 8PM and some armed FEMA person standing there saying "I need to inspect your home".
Would I do that again? I really can't say.

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
Yes.  Period.

I have family.  If the government wants to give me back the money they took from me in the form of taxes by giving me food, supplies, etc.  Then, yes. . .My preps are for when I CANNOT get the above. . .not for when I CHOOSE not to get them.

Depending upon the nature of the disaster, that support the government gives may prove worth it's weight in gold.  What happens if the situation goes on longer than the government's supplies?   

By refusing to use the supplies I paid for, I have to use the supplies I've set aside. . .for what. . .pride?  No, I'll use the hell out of whatever resources are available to me, whether it come from begging, borrowing, stealing or off the back of a government deuce.

Moreover, I'd rather not have to explain to my neighbors exactly why I wasn't in line when everybody else in the neighborhood was.

The Professor

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
Moreover, I'd rather not have to explain to my neighbors exactly why I wasn't in line when everybody else in the neighborhood was.

this is a salient point

amanadoo

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »
I am a yes as well. I have an immobile, infirm grandmother and I would want people like her to be taken of first thing. But I also have two young children, who happen to need their mother like all children do, and I would be scrambling to be able to make sure they had what they need, too.

But I *am* only thinking of accepting offered food and water. That's interesting about the road and FEMA oversight of it. I think that would be a really hard decision.

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
<snip> Moreover, I'd rather not have to explain to my neighbors exactly why I wasn't in line when everybody else in the neighborhood was.

And nothing prevents one from donating some, or all, of the aid thus acquired.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »
As mentioned previously, it would be completely dependent on the specific situation. I would consider accepting some type of distributed rations in passing but would do almost anything to avoid going to some housing facility where the lunatics might be trying to take over. (Remembering the thugs after Katrina raping and killing people at the football stadium that was set up to be a shelter.)

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
As mentioned previously, it would be completely dependent on the specific situation. I would consider accepting some type of distributed rations in passing but would do almost anything to avoid going to some housing facility where the lunatics might be trying to take over. (Remembering the thugs after Katrina raping and killing people at the football stadium that was set up to be a shelter.)

A point of clarification for my previous post.  As a matter of course, I do not consider relocation or housing a form of government support.  It's one of the most dangerous things that can happen during a disaster to be moved to a government shelter.  I will fight, tooth and nail, to prevent this from happening.

That having been said any support in the form of food, etc., I will take.

The Professor

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
I put depends.. If there was any risk of losing any sort of constitutional right by accepting their help then I would steer clear. However, in a localized disaster or in a circumstance that didn't appear to have ulterior motives, then why not? I pay my taxes and will whatever it takes to hedge my odds for survival.

Offline texashiker

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »
Yes, I would take any assistance I could get, especially food preps of hygiene preps.

The more stuff I get from the government, the longer my preps will last.

endurance

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Yes.  Period.

I have family.  If the government wants to give me back the money they took from me in the form of taxes by giving me food, supplies, etc.  Then, yes. . .My preps are for when I CANNOT get the above. . .not for when I CHOOSE not to get them.

Depending upon the nature of the disaster, that support the government gives may prove worth it's weight in gold.  What happens if the situation goes on longer than the government's supplies?   

By refusing to use the supplies I paid for, I have to use the supplies I've set aside. . .for what. . .pride?  No, I'll use the hell out of whatever resources are available to me, whether it come from begging, borrowing, stealing or off the back of a government deuce.

The Professor
I'm with the prof on this one for the most part.  While I plan as if no aid is coming, I'm not too proud to take a handout if there are no strings attached.  If there's a wildland fire raging through my neighborhood I'm not going to send the fire trucks away and tell them I'll defend my home on my own.  While I have a bug out plan, that doesn't mean I won't look at the local shelter before heading there or drive past the county fairgrounds for housing the horses.  After all, I paid for those services.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 06:50:38 AM »
I think the depends is the standard.  If it truly looks to be short term and accepting anything will not help me but might help someone else, I probably would not.  At this point all of my neighbors have heard me talk enough about preparing that they would probably realize that I wouldn't need the help short term.  The longer the period of need, the higher the likelyhood that I would accept help.

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
The government never gives anything away for free, ever.  There is always a price to pay.  IE: the price of welfare is independance, the price of taxes is labor hours, the price of infrastructure is taxes, ect...

Not unless I truly needed help would I accept govt. assistance.  I prep so I will not need assistance, or at least less assistance.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
Damn skippy I'm going to take it.  Take what you can, when you can.  You don't know how long things are going to be bad.  You just might end up wishing you'd have taken that government cheese after the disaster.