Author Topic: Question about food and water for GHB  (Read 2493 times)

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
Question about food and water for GHB
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
I am in the process of creating get home bags. These bags will most likely sit in the trunks of our cars except when maintenance or re-supply needs to be done. So two questions:

1. If I were to have one or two bottles of water in each bag (probably plastic bottles of water) and they are going to sit in the car for extended periods of time, what happens when it's very cold or very hot? If the water freezes in the bottle or the plastic gets so hot that it starts to break down, that's not good. Suggestions?

2. I am considering vacuum sealing some granola bars (like Nature Valley) and some jerky. Again, if the trunk of the car is very hot, will the jerky get bad or ingredients such as honey in the bars render the food inedible?

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Question about food and water for GHB
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
I'd say this isn't a eat-what-you-store situation and you might be better with SOS bars instead of granola.  They aren't as tasty, but they are more impervious to storage conditions.  And I'm not an expert on the water in plastic bottles but I've had some in a car from 100 deg to maybe 0 and it is still intact.  There must be enough give in the plastic that it doesn't break when it freezes.  Maybe a zip-lock bag around the bottles to protect against them flooding your gear and car?

endurance

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »
Your mileage may vary, but a lot of the stuff in my car never has a chance to get old/stale because I use it so often.  If I'm driving and I'm thirsty, I reach behind the driver's seat and grab a bottle of water.  There's usually 3-4 1 liter bottles behind the passenger seat and another 4-5 in the trunk.  When I run out up front, I move the bottles from the trunk to behind the passenger seat and re-stock the trunk.  Before putting them in the car I slightly loosen the lid, squeeze out the air, and re-seal the bottles.  I don't keep them in my GHB because they might leak.  I have seen them lose water, but I've never had one burst from freezing (and it gets down to -20F where I live).

As for food, I use a combination of one 3600 calorie lifeboat ration, 2-3 MREs, and a box of 8-12 kashi or other bars along with some hard candy and other snacks.  Much like the water, the kashi bars only last about four to six months before I've eaten the entire package and replace them with fresh bars.  Worst case scenario, I only have 7200 calories in the car, but usually it's closer to 10-12k calories.  Either way, it's plenty to sit out a storm or hike home from my work.  I guess in a perfect world I'd add another lifeboat ration just to have the extra cushion of calories, but it's hard for me to imagine needing more than three days of food in my normal routine.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
I am in the process of creating get home bags. These bags will most likely sit in the trunks of our cars except when maintenance or re-supply needs to be done. So two questions:

1. If I were to have one or two bottles of water in each bag (probably plastic bottles of water) and they are going to sit in the car for extended periods of time, what happens when it's very cold or very hot? If the water freezes in the bottle or the plastic gets so hot that it starts to break down, that's not good. Suggestions?

2. I am considering vacuum sealing some granola bars (like Nature Valley) and some jerky. Again, if the trunk of the car is very hot, will the jerky get bad or ingredients such as honey in the bars render the food inedible?

To answer #1: Get lifeguard water ration packs.  They last for 5 years and can withstand many heating/freezing cycles.

Another response would be: Don't worry about the water.  Can you _REALLY_ imagine a realistic scenario where you won't be able to stop and fill a nalgene bottle with water in a GHB situation?  Or one where you won't be able to obtain any water on your way home (i.e, can't fill the water from the spout outside a home/business, can't use the faucet or toilet tank, etc.)?

Have containers and a way to make questionable water drinkable.   If you really feel it's necessary to have a supply on hand, then consider the coast-guard water packs.

#2.  Forget the SOS bars.  Go with Millenium Bars.  They have a 5-year shelf-life, provide 400 calories per bar, are individually-packed, come in a wide variety of flavors and only cost about $1.25 each.  They're durable, nutritious, tasty and cheap.

Just some suggestions, hope they help.

The Professor

Offline Johnny Swampwalker

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
I've filled 2 l pop bottles with water and had them in my work truck year-round. They've been frozen and thawed many times and haven't leaked.

I agree with the Professor. While it is good to keep water on hand, this is a GHB, so you shouldn't need more than a couple of quarts, and you should be able to find that - unless time was too critical.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »
Thanks so much, everyone. All of the suggestions make perfect sense to me. I have to make sure not to overthink the whole purpose of the GHB.