Author Topic: Free compost coffee grounds from Starbucks  (Read 7257 times)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Free compost coffee grounds from Starbucks
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Next time you are near one, check to see if they have any.  There are several near me that have a woven basket near the register that has silver mylar bags of used grounds labeled "Grounds for your garden."  With a big free sign.

There are some in grocery stores that I always check.

Nothing beats free!  Each bag probably has $1,000 in used coffee!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Free compost coffee grounds from Starbucks
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
I will definitely check that out.  A lady at work uses the little bit of coffee in the bottom of the pot to water her plants (diluted of course) and it perks them right up.  I don't go into a starbucks unless I have a gift card.  Nothing like a six dollar five hundred calorie drink to start the day.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
Also, as Stein mentioned, they pack the grounds in the old mylar bags the ground arrive in. Free small mylar bags to use for storage!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »
Forgot to mention that the bag has a label saying you can put them straight into your garden without composting if you want to go that route.  I guess they are loaded with nitrogen and do wonders.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
I compost them, put them on plants, and feed them to my composting worms.... Keeps the little wigglers crawling all night long...

millerized1

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »
As long as my veggies don't start tasting like their coffee
Ugh.....I didn't know it was possible to make coffee taste bad....until FiveBucks came along

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
LOL. I don't drink coffee, I love the smell, the taste does not stand up to the smell. The smell is false advertising as far as I am concerned.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
Hmmm...I am such a Starbucks fiend I would probably eat the used grounds before I got them home.  I typically go through at least a pot of self-brewed Starbucks every day, in addition to stopping by there fairly frequently throughout my week.  Occasionally I will substitute Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee, but only if they add a shot or two of espresso.  Oh, and I can't forget all the Starbucks DoubleShots I get when I go into a convenience store, at least 2 a day.  I think may have a caffeine problem... ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
Um yeah, maybe just a little caffeine problem. Make sure you take Jack's advice and stock up on coffee for when times get rough (or not). And with the increasing price of coffee, you might just save a few $..

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »
Man, my wife brought another bag home and I got one yesterday.  This is like five bags this month, hopefully the compost pile doesn't turn into half coffee.  I need to get to a nearby stable for some straw and manure.

On another note, my compost pile isn't getting very hot yet.  I have plenty of brown in there (straw and shavings), but the middle is just warm.  It is about 3x3x4 and slightly wet.  I am thinking it may take a while for the bacteria to build up since it is a new pile?

millerized1

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »
Um yeah, maybe just a little caffeine problem. Make sure you take Jack's advice and stock up on coffee for when times get rough (or not). And with the increasing price of coffee, you might just save a few $..
+1  You've never had a headache until you've gone without coffee for a few days. It's a headache that Jack Daniels AND Oxycodone won't touch. I spent 3 days in a dark room with wool socks on the cats feet to keep the noise down.

I purchased 50lbs of beans and a roaster after THAT incident.  Never again. Weaning myself off of it will take weeks, but I'm prepared this time (darker room and more socks)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »
Man, my wife brought another bag home and I got one yesterday.  This is like five bags this month, hopefully the compost pile doesn't turn into half coffee.  I need to get to a nearby stable for some straw and manure.

On another note, my compost pile isn't getting very hot yet.  I have plenty of brown in there (straw and shavings), but the middle is just warm.  It is about 3x3x4 and slightly wet.  I am thinking it may take a while for the bacteria to build up since it is a new pile?
How much sun does it get? What is it made out of? How often do you stir it up? Have you added some soil to it as a 'starter'? I've been composting for a little over a year, have 2 composters that I use. One for the current mix, the other for aging.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »

+1  You've never had a headache until you've gone without coffee for a few days. It's a headache that Jack Daniels AND Oxycodone won't touch. I spent 3 days in a dark room with wool socks on the cats feet to keep the noise down.

I purchased 50lbs of beans and a roaster after THAT incident.  Never again. Weaning myself off of it will take weeks, but I'm prepared this time (darker room and more socks)

I was addicted to soda, had it for lunch at work a lot. Discovered that on weekends I would get nasty, killer migraines. So I've weaned myself off of soda. Now I find that if I have even one soda at lunch, 24 hrs later I will get one of the nasty, killer headaches. So combat that, I take one Tylenol Migraine pill which contains caffeine. It extends the caffeine hit, but the headache goes away and the pill softens it when it comes back.  If I don't deal with it, by the time I get home my head is splitting in two and all I can do is go lie down with the blankets over my head. And then it takes 8 hrs of sleep to get rid of it.
 I like your idea about socks on the cat. I'll have to try that, will be quite funny in the least.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 03:27:15 AM »
We started composting last summer.  I went to a convienence store near me and gave them  an empty five gallon drywall bucket with lid.  After that I go back every two days and get a bucket full of spent grounds and filters. 

Once you get your compost running all it takes is a bucket a week or so to keep it running hot.

They work great as an acelerator for the compost bin.  This time of year  they work through a leaf pile like no tomorrow!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
How much sun does it get? What is it made out of? How often do you stir it up? Have you added some soil to it as a 'starter'? I've been composting for a little over a year, have 2 composters that I use. One for the current mix, the other for aging.

I finally got it to heat up nicely.  I ended up getting another small garbage can of horse manure, just the manure this time plus another load of coffee and kitchen scraps.  I also added some more water just to make sure everything was wet enough.

I think it takes a while for the little critters to build up enough to take hold of the pile.

I now have two more bags of Starbucks to add this weekend when I get around to turning it again.  I can see why the double compost bin is popular, it would be much easier just to rotate back and forth rather than to try to turn and mix a huge pile without spilling it everywhere.