Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5749211 times)

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #26070 on: Yesterday at 07:35:22 PM »
Yesterday, I downloaded the Survivor Library mentioned by SelcSilverhand (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52187.msg601680#msg601680). Be careful about downloading this, I mirrored the site with wget (wget --mirror --convert-links --adjust-extension --page-requisites --no-parent http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library-download into an empty subdirectory) and it is 153 Gigabytes - it took several hours.

I wasn't too impressed, there is a lot of stuff that is just too old to be useful for rebuilding civilization, or even just individuals. That said, there is still a bunch of stuff that looks promising - like the farming, etc. There is also a bunch of missing stuff that I think should be in any Survivor Library, such as "Nuclear War Survival Skills", "Where There Is No Doctor", "Where There Is No Dentist", etc. It will take some work to get the stuff that I want.

Today, I went to Walmart, and purchased stuff to make something like the food buckets from TwoBluesMama's BO Buckets (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24255.msg267722#msg267722). I got enough stuff to get most of the way to three meals each for the Mrs, and myself. Unfortunately, when I counted up the calories, it comes to just over 1100 cals per day, for each of us. I would rather not starve to death :P, so I still need to pad it out a bit. It also looks like I may be able to squeeze in enough food to bring it up to another day or two per bucket.

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #26071 on: Yesterday at 08:03:10 PM »
Today I looked at my supply of N95 masks.
I haven't checked on them since; Zika in 2016? Ebola in 2014? Maybe since Swine Flu in 2009?
Anyway, the elastic straps aren't dry rotted and remain stretchy.

I also stored 25 bars of soap in a two gallon bucket along with two activated hand warmers.
It is the same type of soap we use everyday, so at some point it will eventually get rotated into the regular supply.

At an EMS class yesterday the instructor said that hand sanitizers should be at least 60% alcohol to be effective and to avoid the scented types.

Online Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26072 on: Yesterday at 09:28:08 PM »
Today, I went to Walmart, and purchased stuff to make something like the food buckets from TwoBluesMama's BO Buckets
I  did this same thing, but with some modifications. I used Gamma@ lids and filled a 5 gallon bucket with cans of food. 8 - 15 oz cans per layer separated by a cardboard disc. 16 cans plus room for a 3rd layer of shorter cans, like Spam and sardines, tuna fish.

All bags, bottles, plates, cups etc. went into soft-side bags.

Online Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26073 on: Yesterday at 09:49:27 PM »

Today, I went to Walmart, and purchased stuff to make something like the food buckets from TwoBluesMama's BO Buckets (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24255.msg267722#msg267722).

Thanks for bringing that thread back out.

8)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26074 on: Today at 12:13:37 AM »
On a whim I decided to do an article on PPE for my blog. So i had to break out all my PPE supplies and kits (i.e. in car. BOb etc). And you know, putting them back together is the worst thing. But had the chnace to make some standalone "giveway" kits.

Thing is that this weekend I also tore apart my BOB and kits for a major reorganization -in a novel way. Had to occupy the living room for this....

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26075 on: Today at 05:52:19 AM »
I  did this same thing, but with some modifications. I used Gamma@ lids and filled a 5 gallon bucket with cans of food. 8 - 15 oz cans per layer separated by a cardboard disc. 16 cans plus room for a 3rd layer of shorter cans, like Spam and sardines, tuna fish.

All bags, bottles, plates, cups etc. went into soft-side bags.
Carver,
That sounds great (I'm going to mention it to my oldest son, who is doing some prepping,) but unfortunately, like Mama, I am partially disabled (two back surgeries and a wheel chair, surgery on both wrists and coming surgery for a torn rotator cuff :(.) I need much lighter buckets, plus I want Mrs. ChEng to be able to lift/carry the buckets too.

Thanks for bringing that thread back out.

8)
Stwood,
That is one of my "classics" that I go back to over and over. There is a LOT of good information in back threads in this forum.

Does anyone know how strict our policy is for "thread necrophilia"?  :P I know that, in most forums, it is normally frowned upon, but there is so much stuff to which I wanted to respond. For example, I would love to add the results of my work to Mama's thread, but...

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26076 on: Today at 05:55:50 AM »
...At an EMS class yesterday the instructor said that hand sanitizers should be at least 60% alcohol to be effective and to avoid the scented types.
Andy,
I had not heard that (although, with my skin it is normal for me to avoid scented anything on my skin.) Did the instructor say why to avoid the scented types?

Online Carver

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26077 on: Today at 07:07:14 AM »
ChEng:
I need much lighter buckets, plus I want Mrs. ChEng to be able to lift/carry the buckets too.
There are 2.5 gallon buckets with the same diameter and instead of two levels you could place lighter items on top of the cans, such as paper plates, towels, etc.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26078 on: Today at 07:42:35 AM »
ChEng: There are 2.5 gallon buckets with the same diameter and instead of two levels you could place lighter items on top of the cans, such as paper plates, towels, etc.
Hmmm, I have not seen the two and a half gallon buckets with the same diameter as the five gallon buckets, the ones that I've seen have smaller diameters.

I do have a gallon-size Zip-Loc bag with paper plates and napkins, it might go on the bottom (we'll have to see how things fit.) A pack of plastic utensils will be added, along with a metal serving spoon. I would also like to have some cooking-type thing like a buddy heater (rolled up cardboard in a tuna can with wax poured over the cardboard) with some kind of stove, candles and fire (matches, lighter, etc.) We each have a stainless steel mess kit, so that takes care of cooking utensils.