Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 415869 times)

Offline carbon

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • The Resilient Child Book Project
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
Since switching jobs a while ago we still find ourselves short on the budget. We have used up around 50 lbs of my reserve rice and maybe 15 lbs of my stored sugar. The replacement for those will come from our regular grocery budget as things get better.
...aaand wife still has second thoughts about my prepping :-)

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
DD and I were out and about town earlier when she twisted her ankle pretty bad while walking across a parking lot.  Within seconds it had puffed up over the edge of her shoe and she was unable to walk on it, and fighting to hold back the tears.  I ran to the truck where I got an ace wrap, a couple of aspirins, a bottle of water, and the cedar walking stick I keep behind the seat. I wrapped her foot up, she downed the aspirins with the water, and minutes later she was laughing and limping along, and said she wasn't ready to head for home just yet...although mom headed for home anyway, and got DD settled in with her foot elevated and an ice pack on it. 

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2012, 07:50:45 AM »
I used my preps Saturday night. My wife and I came home late from the football game and wanted a snack. There was nothing to eat in the fridge and she wanted to go get something and come back. I said, "It is too late, I've been drinking and it is not a good idea to go out. Most crimes happen between 10 pm and 3 am." She agreed and I whipped up a breakfast taco for us to share.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »
My wife and I have just moved, again, from High Point NC to Charlotte NC for her work.  The time we had to move was around 2 weeks.  We needed to find a place to rent, settle on a price, pack the house, rent a truck, and move.  It was really hard and it meant me taking off work to pack the house and drive back and forth between Charlotte and High Point (1 hour).  We got here and with paying for meals, truck, deposits, and my not having an income for a few weeks really hurt us.

The way we have been using our preps this past few weeks is actually been breaking into our stored food.  We have been using more of the canned foods that we have been putting away from the past few months and from what my grandmother gave me for helping her.  We have been really rotating our food around and even though we are down to around 1 month worth of reserves, we are glad we started being survivalist when we did.  Otherwise we would have had to borrow money from our family. 

That is not something I like to do.  It has only happened once and I promised my wife and myself that we would never do it again.  And we paid aunt in law back.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
Reloaded my first 50 shot shells!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
The way we have been using our preps this past few weeks is actually been breaking into our stored food.  We have been using more of the canned foods that we have been putting away from the past few months and from what my grandmother gave me for helping her.  We have been really rotating our food around and even though we are down to around 1 month worth of reserves, we are glad we started being survivalist when we did.  Otherwise we would have had to borrow money from our family. 

That's what food storage is there for. Don't feel badly that you had to use it and haven't been able to keep up with replacing what you've used. You know firsthand the value of food storage and you'll build it all back up.

I've gone through my food stores twice in the last ten years, but it made all of the difference in being able to successfully cope with hard times.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
While secluded in a room where we have no tools 8), I had a problem with a snap on an article of clothing, which kept unsnapping.

But!  In my pocket I had my trusty, tiny Leatherman Squirt PS2 multitool!  The pliers were adequate to repair the loose snap. ;D

I've been wondering what I was ever going to use those little pliers for.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »
wife was making a salad, when she said to me "I forgot to de-thaw the chicken for the salad". I just started smiling...and she said "Let me guess you have chicken in 'The Pantry'..."

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
We have been working on stocking up on rechargeable batteries for the last few months. They have been very useful in the last couple of days when everything seemed to die all at once. But without hesitation, we grabbed the rechargeable ones and they work great. We went for the Sanyo Eneloop that was suggested by Steven Harris on the podcast. Seem to be awesome so far. Anyway main point of the story, we went hiking on Sunday, and on the way back ran into a serious lack of sunshine. Grabbed the headlamps (full of fresh eneloops) and hiked back in style.

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Working in the shop today, I gave some boards a dry fit with some dowel pegs.  Everything was such a tight fit, I couldn't get it apart.  Out came the leatherman, a twist with the screwdriver and the boards were apart, and a pull with the pliers and I was back to work.

Offline rpersun

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
Broke a shoe lace at work, luckily I had 50ft of paracord in my BOB.  Now I have a nice set of new shoe laces.   :D

Offline vardaman

• Prepper
  • NABCEP Certified Solar Hot Water Installer
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »

Last night the power went out while I was in the middle of cooking supper.  We quickly lit some candles and I got out an oil lamp I had bought recently and lit it as well.  I already had a pork tenderloin cooking in a Dutch oven inside the electric oven.  It needed about twenty more minutes so I figured it would be okay just to leave it alone and let the heat already in the oven finish the cooking process.
I had already blanched some string beans for sautéing. I threw those into a sauté pan with some butter and walked them outside to the patio where I keep a propane tank that’s connected to a burner, like the kind you use for frying a turkey. I use it occasionally for frying things. I lit the burner and put the pan with the beans on.
I had a flashlight with me, but then I realized that I had some LED Christmas lights strung up over the patio that I like to plug in when we are out there. So I went and got my Wagan Power Dome and plugged the lights into it. This provided the perfect amount of light for sautéing my beans without having to stand there holding a flashlight.
By the time I was done with the beans the tenderloin was ready and had finished just fine under the residual oven heat. So with the power out we never missed a beat and had a nice candlelight dinner to boot. It was good real world experience.
I’ve cooked a lot of times outside with the propane just for such an occasion so that wasn’t much of a stretch, but I’ve never done it in the pitch black before so the hokey Christmas lights really provided a huge benefit that I hadn’t actually planned on. It was kind of weird having the only light in the entire neighborhood for five minutes. I was ready to unplug them as soon as I was done plus I didn’t want to run the Wagan down any more than I had to.
After we ate, and the power had been off for about an hour, we got in the car to see what the extent of the outage was. So driving down the street we only noticed about one in every six houses seemed to have any kind of candle light going. I think most of the people just got in their cars and went out after the power was off for about 15 minutes. The outage was fairly widespread a tree took out a line on a decent sized road. They had it restored by the time we got back home.

Offline orrville

• Prepper
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
 Used the jars we have been collecting to can 56# beef, from the grass fed beef we raised and had butchered. The list is long , I view all our tools as preps. We use some of them everyday.

Offline JonDavid

• Prepper
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »
Being in the path of Sandy's landfall, I got to use my large maglite flashlight to checkout the roof and yard for damage.

I used my cell phone app to keep track of local power outages, text friends and family to let them know I was fine, call my dad and my sister to find out how they were.  I was also able to check on the status of the State of Emergency, get the latest weather reports, find out conditions regarding work and take pictures of a tree I'm worried about in my backyard and the neighbors shed under it.  I didn't realize how useful a prep my phone was.  That's in addition to all the emergency numbers I have in it that thankfully I didn't have to use.

Unbelievably power never went out, but I still had a great breakfast and dinner using mostly things in the pantry.

Offline mindgamez

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Generator, My stash of gas, my "emergency" instant coffee packets, Tealights (cheap lighting when dropped into a glass coffee mug).  Gotta love getting a hurricane in Ohio.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
Love reading these Sandy stormers using their preps!  Yeah man!  That's why we do it!

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »
On the way to my parents house we managed to lose out radiator cap on the interstate. I noticed when the engine began running a little bit hot, and by that time, ALL of the coolant had sprayed out. It was dark, so the first prep that came out was a LED Maglite. Once I discovered the problem I started breaking out the coolant that I carry. Turns out no where around me sold radiator caps, even after 30 minutes of walking around. You would really think a HUGE Pilot truck stop would have a rad cap. Anyway turns out we were close to my brother in law who made the trip up with an extra cap. We were able to fix everything with only about 3oz of extra coolant left over. We got back on the road with only being out of commission for around an hour and fifteen minutes.

Preps used:
Flashlight
Cell phone
Coolant
Gloves

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
I found myself in a panic on Sunday after realizing my finances had been stretched (pretty much the norm these days) to the point I could not even afford the gas to get to and from work Monday — let alone the rest of the week. My change jar had about $10 in quarters since I have already raided it 3 or 4 times in the last several months for emergencies like that.

Then I remembered I have 2 gold rings from past relationships sitting in my box of silver coins — aka my "savings account" so I decided to cash in the 2 rings.

I got $93 for 4.5 grams of 14K gold which kind of sucks seeing as spot right now is around $33/gram and I got about $20/gram. However, I had cash in hand and in my bank account in less than 15 minutes — and granted I didn't feel like shopping around since this was a necessary evil.

Got rid of some bad memories, took a small bath (one of them was a gift to me so cost me nothing) but was able to fill up my gas tank and have plenty for this week's food and miscellaneous expenses.

I used them for exactly what I intended to have them for when I put them in my "savings account"

I have a tangible Silver Coin / gold coin / jewelery "savings account" because the hassle to get the right value for the items contained within is enough that I will NEVER touch it unless I absolutely need to, where if I were to start adding money to a savings account at the bank I would just be withdrawing it to pay bills or who knows what a week or two later and it would never accumulate — and frankly it seems precious metals will increase faster than your garbage $.0000002% interest rate for a savings account (whatever worthless rate it is).

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
My wife used her preps today. I packed her a GHB-lite for her car. Today, she pulled out the socks and shoes so that she could go shopping and not kill her feet.

I consider this a milestone. Finally, my prepping directly impacted her quality of life.

Victory is near!

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Glad to hear it was not life threatening Endurance!

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2012, 07:56:43 AM »
I am a beginning prepper, pretty much brand new.  One of the things I want to do come spring is to go camping with my completed bug out bag for the 72 hours, make believe my life is totally up to what I carry in my bag.  From there I want to take notes on what I wish I had, what I had and how well it preformed and what I should to to improve on what I already brought with me. 

I want to be able to make a fire without lighters or matches well before I have to do it for the first time and my life depends on whether or not I can make a fire right here and now.

Just my idea though

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
Renewed my Ham license online.  Also corrected the name and address which hasn't been the ones on record since... 2003.  Yeah, not so good on the record keeping, so fixing that.

Added it to a binder that I have with all of the relevant numbers and info I might need.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »
Renewed my Ham license online.  Also corrected the name and address which hasn't been the ones on record since... 2003.  Yeah, not so good on the record keeping, so fixing that.

Added it to a binder that I have with all of the relevant numbers and info I might need.

Not sure why I posted this here - it was supposed to go in "What did you do to prep today?".

Some days I'm smarter than others...

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Ran out of propane two days ago. Wasn't going to be able to get more till yesterday but I still needed too cook until then. I own a microwave, but I don't eat a lot of food that microwaves well. And the idea of ramen for breakfast is pretty repulsive.
  I do have some chafing dish heaters prepped up becuase they are good heat sources for small enclosed areas and good for starting wet fires and for water boiling.
   So I set up a little cook stove with three water filled mason jars around three chafing dish heaters and sat a pan on top of the jars. Cooked me some bacon and egg tacos for dinner and breakfast the next day. I put water in the mason jars as a heat sink so that the flame from the heaters didn't damage them. 
     It took a lot longer than cooking on the range, but It worked well enough. I'm deffinitelt going to buy some of the little stoves that are used with these heaters, probably easier than mason jars with the right sized pan. I think a very small cast iron skillet would be good.

Offline M1Andy

• Prepper
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
We went to my parent's for Thanksgiving and didn't come home with the leftovers that we love so much.  So today we had mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, rolls, and green beans.  All from food storage!  Was great to get those rotated and soon restocked.  We bought a turkey breast and will buy another to get into the deep freeze.  Felt really good to have buy-in from the whole family.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »
I'm in school with lots of time consuming finals and my Husband has been working longer hours.  We have been eating canned stew, soup, and chili from the stash I canned a couple of months ago.  This has been a huge time saver and I will be making more over my winter break.   ;D

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2012, 08:20:03 AM »
Used my battery cell phone charger, while waiting at the hospital for news about my cousin having their baby. The 'dad to be' thaught it was a great idea. He has been using his phone and draining the battery all day, and hates having his phone therthed to the wall.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
I'm in school with lots of time consuming finals and my Husband has been working longer hours.  We have been eating canned stew, soup, and chili from the stash I canned a couple of months ago.  This has been a huge time saver and I will be making more over my winter break.   ;D

You should share your recipe for canned stew if you don't mind. I have been looking for a good tasting canning recipe for stew.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
Sure.  I don't have exact measurements since I have been making this by eye for years. 
I do this with beef and chicken.  It makes a great soup or a stew if you make a gravy with the stock right before you serve it.  (canning the gravy is a really bad idea and I can't remember why.)  I make about 2.5 gallons of this stuff at a time.

I make a stock before hand.   Bones, carrots, celery, onions, parsley, bay leaf, pepper and garlic.  Simmer for 24 to 48 hours. Strain remove all the lumpy stuff out of the stock.

I use beef stock with beef and chicken stock with chicken

Cut up 5 to 7 lbs of beef or chicken into 1" cubes.
Cut up a entire bunch of celery in 1" chunks
Cut up 2 lbs of carrots in 1" chunks.
Slice up 1lb or so of mushrooms.  ( I use mushrooms instead of potatoes since I don't really like potatoes)
pepper and salt to taste
I add thyme and garlic to taste (I love thyme)

Put it all in a large stock pot and pour in enough stock to cover all the other ingredients  Bring to a boil for 20 minutes.   Prep pressure canner and jars.

I pressure can them based on the chicken.  75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts.  A quart makes a nice hearty dinner for two.

You will have mushy veggies with this process. 

To have soup just heat and eat.

To make it a stew I heat the contents then drain the stock off and make gravy with it.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
I am assembling a sampler of home dehydrated fruit and preserves for my sister who recently had a stroke. 

She is craving fruit which helps her brain recover.   For Christmas I am bringing her dehydrated strawberries, blueberries, cherries, bananas and apple slices with cinnamon.   She is also getting blueberry, raspberry, and Strawberry preserves.  She is really looking forward to it.