Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 383238 times)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:49 AM »
Understanding that Coleman makes most of their products aimed at weekend campers, it amazing how spoiled some campers must be...lol

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Water isn't half the problem of dropping them against the side of your car and getting a nice arc-welding burn in your paint job!

After being in a similar situation where we didn't have two sets and couldn't get to the front of the car, I'm leaning toward upgrading all the cars to a PowerPack/Jumpbox as money becomes available.  We have one already and I really do prefer it, especially since it's also a compressor, inverter, and USB charger.

Yeah LOL... It would have given more character to my old Jeep had that happened.

I am itching to get one of those jumper boxes myself. I have a multi-purpose air compressor / spotlight / bunch of other crap units but it does not have jumpers. The battery is hosed and I haven't taken the time to disassemble it and go to Batteries+ to get a new one, but when I do it might go in our 2nd car and I may end up getting an air compressor / jumper box for the Jeep.

I have also seen these jumper devices that you plug into your cigarette lighter outlet and supposedly it sends enough of a charge to your battery or starter to jump your car without even having to get out of the vehicle. I have no idea how well those work but they were not expensive. The units also charge once you start the vehicle and leave it plugged into the outlet.

I am not so worried about having jumpers for the 2nd car since it is a stick shift and I can pretty much pop start any manual clutch if I have 5 feet of space to get the wheels turning LOL. I've done it in the past by pushing the car across the parking lot myself then jumping in to pop the clutch. I find you only need to be moving 1 or 2mph to start a car like that.

I had one car a number of years ago with a dead battery that I drove for 2 days pop starting it until I got to auto zone to get a new battery LOL.

Understanding that Coleman makes most of their products aimed at weekend campers, it amazing how spoiled some campers must be...lol

Coleman in my opinion either makes total junk or really good quality stuff. I have a 1970s coleman white gas stove that still looks brand spankin' new and works perfectly, still has the original pump AND i also have a backup pump that was probably new stock in 1970 still in the packaging I've never had to use along with a lantern that is all beat to hell but will be fine with some TLC.

I have a Coleman backpacking pot/pan set that is really awesome as well. There is a higher end line of Coleman products with a certain label on them (I can't remember what it is now) that are geared toward the higher end — competing with the stuff you would find at REI etc. Most of the stuff I've seen in that product line are better than the standard Coleman fare.

I've seen people with coleman propane stoves that look like total JUNK compared to the 70s stove I have, not to mention I didn't even use a QUART of coleman fuel for an entire season of camping last year. In fact, I never had to re-fill the pump reservoir once the whole year, and probably have enough left inside of it for this whole season too.

endurance

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I have also seen these jumper devices that you plug into your cigarette lighter outlet and supposedly it sends enough of a charge to your battery or starter to jump your car without even having to get out of the vehicle. I have no idea how well those work but they were not expensive. The units also charge once you start the vehicle and leave it plugged into the outlet.
I have one, but don't rely on it anymore.  The two times I needed it, it didn't have enough umph to get the car to start, even after 15 minutes of "back charging" the battery.  It's just not a big enough battery for the job, IMHO.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I was skeptical when I first saw one in the local Wally World a number of years ago and did notice they were harder to find in subsequent years while the jumper cable equipped boxes seemed to become more popular.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
I got to use my preps today. I was working at the fire station, then at the city hall\police station. I walked out to grab some paperwork that needed faxing, out of my truck, and saw that the only squad car on duty had its hood up, with 3 or 4 people looking. Hey there is PokeShell, "He will have cables for sure!"

Yep, I jump started a police car today. 8)

endurance

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
I got to use my preps today. I was working at the fire station, then at the city hall\police station. I walked out to grab some paperwork that needed faxing, out of my truck, and saw that the only squad car on duty had its hood up, with 3 or 4 people looking. Hey there is PokeShell, "He will have cables for sure!"

Yep, I jump started a police car today. 8)
That cracks me up.  I can't imagine a cop car not having jumper cables.  That's just messed up!   ;D  Kudos for coming to the rescue of our men in blue.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Couldn't they just hook up a tazer to their battery terminals and jump start it that way?

Don't taze me bro!

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
I think its funny that they automatically saw you and knew you would have cables. It would be funny as heck to see a cop tazing his battery...that would definitely hit youtube.

Offline savannah kay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
I bought  my husband the PowerDomeEX for his birthday.
He noticed he has a slow leak in one tire and has been using this to keep it inflated.
This year the PowerDome is what I'll give all family members as
a birthday gift. It also has two AC outlets, one DC outlet, radio,
battery jumper, and led lights. Handy!

Offline savannah kay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
Ironically we had another opportunity to use the Power Dome.
This time we had a dead battery in the van. Couldn't jump it
with the power dome because we didn't notice there's
an ON/OFF button. Make sure you turn it on...duh
Worked fine. ;-)

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »
I've had to use the portable air compressor unit I got as a gift years ago so many times the battery wore out and won't recharge LOL. I have yet to take it apart and go to Batteries+ to see if they have the right kind to replace it with.

Offline TwoCorOne8b11

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
The thing I use constantly from my EDC/mini get-home pack is the little first aid kit with antibiotic and and bandages. Our youngest son is latex-allergic so I started carrying latex-free bandages everywhere. That was really my intro to prepping, LOL. I do maintenance for a living, so nicks and scratches are part of the job.
~TwoCor

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
Lesson Learned.

We usually carry an Adventure Medical Sportsman's First Aid Kit anytime we are outdoors. However, we have gotten away from the practice for not other reason than carelessness, besides, we have the car kit right?

Well today while fishing, a fellow fisherman ran up to the fence beside us asking if we had any experience with getting hooks out. Thinking it was a fish, I said yea how can I help. The gentleman had ran a 1/0 hook through the top of his thumbnail and deep into the bed between his nail and skin. Blood everywhere, he was in major pain, his kid scared to death, and I have no kit. The hook had been in a fish's mouth when he put it through his finger so no telling as to what bad stuff was on it, and I didn't even have a alcohol pad.

Luckily we were close to home today and were only 5 mins from a local emergency room, he headed off to get help there and I sat back down and thought about the lesson that I had learned. What if that hook would have been in Tracy, and she was the one screaming in pain. The kit will always be with me from now on. Don't get careless.

Steve

Offline AnonPrepper

• Prepper
  • Newb Forum member
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Had a "spare" 8 gigs of ddr2 in my car bugout bag.. I know I know but seriously I end up using it more than youd think. Saved an Exchange 2007 server today.. That bag has come in more handy than I could of ever imagined!

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

I had one car a number of years ago with a dead battery that I drove for 2 days pop starting it until I got to auto zone to get a new battery LOL.

I went an entire summer starting my motorcycle that way, and it was my only vehicle. Broke collage student.

Offline Dangerous Dan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
I used the tool kit in my car to replace all 5 broken studs on my front passenger side on the side of the road in the rain.  I have a 18v impact as part of the kit and I can't say enough good things about it. No fun at all but it only took me about an hour with good tools.  Lucky the wife wasn't far away to run me to the store to get parts. I used my streamlight micro on the bill of the hat I keep in the car and my spare set of clothes. Preps definitely saved the day.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »
I used the tool kit in my car to replace all 5 broken studs on my front passenger side on the side of the road in the rain.  I have a 18v impact as part of the kit and I can't say enough good things about it. No fun at all but it only took me about an hour with good tools.  Lucky the wife wasn't far away to run me to the store to get parts. I used my streamlight micro on the bill of the hat I keep in the car and my spare set of clothes. Preps definitely saved the day.
That is one thing that most people don't even think about.  What happens if *insert issue* happens.

I heard that Roter Rooter techs have to go home and change if they get soiled on a job.  They MUST keep a clean appearance at all times for the customer.  And really, who what's someone else's shuff in their house anyway?

Offline txdoc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »
Wow, what a great topic.  I just joined the forum after having listening to the show since episode 50 or so.  I've been missing out!

I use little bits of my GHB all the time: clothes, small tools, first-aid kit, beef jerky.  My favorite recent use of preps was on vacation in Jamaica for a friend's wedding.  The bustle on her wedding dress broke while she was dancing after the ceremony and put her out of commission.  The dress was too heavy to sew the buttons back on, so I pulled a few of the threads out of a piece of paracord and spliced a little handle into one of the bustle loops.  She was able to hold up the train of her dress and dance the rest of the night.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Thanks for posting txdoc, make sure you check out all the boards. There are tons of great info here.

Offline Dangerous Dan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »
That is one thing that most people don't even think about.  What happens if *insert issue* happens.

I heard that Roter Rooter techs have to go home and change if they get soiled on a job.  They MUST keep a clean appearance at all times for the customer.  And really, who what's someone else's shuff in their house anyway?

I know it all to well I am a manufacturing engineer that spends half my time on the shop floor but I am still required to wear a tie, slacks,and dress shoes because that is the image we are suppose to keep (we make high end products and have lots of visitors).  I have ruined more dress clothes from getting grease or oil flung on me than I care to think about. I've got jeans, gym shorts, underwear, socks, t shirt , sweat pants, sweat shirt and shoes in my car at all times.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »
Fishing the other day and discovered in the rush to get out to the lake, we had both forgotten our flashlights. This would have cut out evening short, as we usually don't leave till after dark settles and the fish stop biting, and its a pretty rough walk out. Grabbed one from my GHB and one from my emergency car kit and we were good to go.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
I know it all to well I am a manufacturing engineer that spends half my time on the shop floor but I am still required to wear a tie, slacks,and dress shoes because that is the image we are suppose to keep (we make high end products and have lots of visitors).  I have ruined more dress clothes from getting grease or oil flung on me than I care to think about. I've got jeans, gym shorts, underwear, socks, t shirt , sweat pants, sweat shirt and shoes in my car at all times.

My old cross country and track coach was a U.S. Marine, and told the story of having to take a dinghy to a beach from the ship on which he was stationed, to meet some brass. He and his buddies carried oversized ziploc bags with a change of trousers, while the lieutenant they were riding with hadn't... they had dry pants, the butter bar didn't. Guess who made a better impression?

:b

I always carry a spare set of socks, a blazer, and a nice shirt with me. Not always a pair of pants, but definitely some small-packing undies tucked into the socks. Makes for easy fixes to a variety of coffee-induced issues, as well as the occasional meet-cute-girl-in-a-bookstore problem, where I hadn't planned on going home before dinner... so I can toss my dress shoes on, a nice shirt, keep the jeans, and throw the blazer on top, and I look pretty darn spiffy. Helps to have a razor and a comb too  8)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Dinner tonight 100% from preps. Rabbit Strata a la King.  Home butchered and canned rabbit. Home dehydrated sweet red pepper, dehydrated onion, dehydrated corn, dehydrated chanterelle mushrooms,  bread cubes. I used fresh eggs and milk, but could have used from storage.

Have a meeting to go to tonight and it was my turn to bring snacks, so I made Pumpkin-Cranberry muffins and vegan Blueberry-Lemon muffins. 100% from preps. Used homecanned pumpkin (squash), home dehydrated highbush cranberries and homecanned blueberries, everything else was from gleaners from my LTS.

Cedar

Offline Preppin2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
Dinner tonight 100% from preps. Rabbit Strata a la King.  Home butchered and canned rabbit. Home dehydrated sweet red pepper, dehydrated onion, dehydrated corn, dehydrated chanterelle mushrooms,  bread cubes. I used fresh eggs and milk, but could have used from storage.

Have a meeting to go to tonight and it was my turn to bring snacks, so I made Pumpkin-Cranberry muffins and vegan Blueberry-Lemon muffins. 100% from preps. Used homecanned pumpkin (squash), home dehydrated highbush cranberries and homecanned blueberries, everything else was from gleaners from my LTS.

Cedar

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Those Blueberry-Lemon muffins sound awesome. Would you are to share the recipe?

Offline Dollarbill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:39 AM »
Thurs I used an energy bar I keep in my gf's GHB. We went to Kohl's after work to use a coupon before it expired. I grabbed a couple things I needed without much delay and went to go find my gf. She was happily perusing through the clothes when she said "I'm going to look at the shoes". I knew I wasn't getting dinner any time soon and I was starving by this time already. I went to the car and grabbed the energy bar. That did the trick, I was able to wait patently while my gf tried on what seemed like every shoe in the place without passing out from hunger.

Offline KitsapRoadkill

• Prepper
  • I can't think of anything clever to put here...
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Our electricity went out last night due to a wind storm causing a fight between a tree and a power line. I let you guess what won. My headlamp is always nearby or in my pocket after dark. Popped that on and got the oil lamps lit. We've got a well so water was out also. Grabbed some of the stored water for flushing. Then pulled some frozen brats out of the freezer and fired up the grill on the porch. My roommates started complaining about boredom after dinner so I pulled out the D&D books(yes, I'm a geek). Just like camping.

Power finally came back on around noon today. Refilled the used water containers and put them back in the storage area.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
Going on a road trip with some friends.

It was easy to go to the pantry, find, and pack dehydrated snacks.
Bananas and Strawberries are my favorites, nuts, jerky (i am always out of bilton), and water bottles with some powder flavor mixes.

Offline Engineer

• Prepper
  • No Turkey Talkin' Here
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
Hello folks I'm new the forum and a new MSB member as today coming to you from West Michigan. I ordered my new "Shotlock" shotgun safe today which gives me fast and easy access to a loaded shotgun while keeping it safe from my two young daughters. 

Offline KitsapRoadkill

• Prepper
  • I can't think of anything clever to put here...
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
My roommate walks up to me and asks "Do you have a band-aid?" I look at him somewhat incredulously and reply very condescendingly "There's some in my BOB, some in your BOB, some in Bill's(other roommate) BOB, some in the first-aid kit in my car and a whole bunch in the big first-aid kit in the kitchen. Which would you like?" His response? "Shut up, I'm tired."

Preps were used, so I'm counting it.
Though I may be using this incident to call for refresher drill.